Empty stomach morning cardio

Options
13»

Replies

• 3mmalou16
    3mmalou16 Posts: 27
    Options
    Im glad I read this thread! Ive just started to do the Couch25k ( Im in my first week), and have found going in the morning before I go to work the easiest time, but I was worried about when to have my breakfast, I was grabbing a bowl of cereal then going out feeling quite full. I will give it a try not eating before I go and have my breakfast afterwards.
  • Sb65513n
    Sb65513n Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I always do Cardio, or run before I eat. I've thrown up before during a run from eating right before. I also feel like I have more energy when I do so.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I get up around 5am to workout so I always do empty stomach cardio. I've tried to go after lunch and spent my entire workout burping with a cramp in my side. Ugh!
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware this was a sin. i never eat before cardio. I hate running on a full stomach

Ditto.
    I am up at 4:30 to work out, shower and get ready for work. I usually don't eat until around 8am. Though I did just add a snack of chocolate milk for a post work out recovery drink. Today was the first day and I did feel much better afterwards.
  • Hyoderrn
    Hyoderrn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to eat before I exercise in the morning! I get up just before 4am to exercise on the days I work so I have time to exercise(p90x-routines are at least 43 minutes long), shower and be at work by 6am. I drink a muscle milk or protein drink right after exercise and then eat something after I get to work. I'm doing just fine! :smile:
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I frequently run 5-10 miles on a near empty stomach. I might have coffee for breakfast and then like a rice cake or a quarter of a cliff bar to keep me from getting nauseated while I'm running. Then I take off around noon.
    I use to have aweful stomach cramps that I finally narrowed down to having eaten prior to cardio.

exercise.png
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    I have a friend who is an avid body builder (he pays his bills doing it...) and he says the following about fasted cardio:

Fasted cardio is good for the last few pounds before a competition because instead of burning food calories, your body is forced to switch to fat as a fuel right off the bat. You don't burn MORE calories, you burn DIFFERENT calories.
    Doing this is rough on the body and tears up your muscles, so only do it for those last few pounds.
    Eating just a little (a half cup of greek yogurt or a handful of berries) will boost the metabolism burn for the rest of the day. Studies have shown that a person who eats anything before a work out tends to burn an extra 20-30% more calories in their resting metabolism than those who skip breakfast.
    Eat something in the morning...be ripped at night.

I hope this helps!!
  • crystalgoede
    Options
    I have a Tbsp of peanut butter. Its not a lot of food but yet gives me just a bit more energy early in the morning to get better workout.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30 am to get my workout on so yes I do my zumba on empty stomach. After I'm done I grab a greek yogurt for a quick snack. I then eat my breakfast after I put my kids on the bus at 8:30 am. It has always worked for me.

What kind of breakfast do you have?

Usually its a tuna melt or roasted chicken & veggies.
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I get too light-headed to do this. So when I would work out before breakfast I'd have a honey stick in the 10 minutes before the class. They're only 15 cals a piece and come in awesome flavors. If you put the honey in between your teeth and lip you absorb it really quickly. It gives you enough of a boost to get you through to breakfast, but not enough to make your stomach hurt while you work out! Try it! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!