Meat eater's limited choices

Options
124»

Replies

• Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Try beefalo (i.e., buffalo meat). It's a lot lower in fat than regular beef. I keep to this when I need a fix. Trader Joe's has some interesting options for prepared meats, though the chicken breast I got the other day had more sodium than I wanted, so I guess I do need to cook my own. Drat!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    As a Catholic I'm having a hard time finding awesome protein sources as well. Every Friday until Easter we cannot eat meat, eggs is one thing I've been eating as well as cheese, Greek yogurt has a lot, but you trade in like 12-14 g of sugar. I don't each much lunch meat, I'm sorry.

Greek yogurt has about 1g of sugar per ounce and 3g of protein per ounce. 12-14g of sugar? No way. It just ain't so. And having low protein intake for 1 day a week for a few weeks a year is not in the least harmful. Catholics don't have a problem getting adequate protein intake because they're catholics.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What I'd be looking for is:

On a day when she's out of town, roast a large turkey in a disposable roasting pan. Slice it up into 4-oz or however-many-oz bits, put them in individual ziploc bags, and put the bags in a brown paper shopping bag in the freezer. Tell her not to look in the bag. When she looks, cut her head off. (Bluebeard!)

Okay, I'm kidding about the last sentence. And I'm not advocating doing this behind her back. But if she would agree to this on a day when she's gone anyway, it'd be a hell of a lot healthier for you than processed lunch meat, and assuming you washed up well, she'd never have to see it.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've got a pretty sizable freezer. I can usually fit 6 deer and a whole pig in there. Or a whole cow. We found it's best to buy a 1/4 cow and 1/2 pig on a bi-yearly basis.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am strictly vegetarian, my husband isn't. I do all the cooking, so he doesn't have meat in the house most of the time. I wouldn't appreciate him cooking meat in my kitchen. Luckily he is sensible enough to realise that is isn't ideal to have meat every meal anyway, so when he is at home, he eats healthy vegetarian food, and when he is at work and when we eat out, he has meat, if he feels like it.

His kitchen too!

Agreed. Why should she decide he can't cook meat (or anything else) in the kitchen if he likes? I can't imagine marrying a woman who would not ALLOW me to cook whatever I wanted in my own kitchen. And it IS his kitchen too.

And just because it's not healthy to eat meat at every meal doesn't mean it's somehow automatically healthy to eat meat at NO meals. While there are healthy vegetarian diets, there are also healthy omnivorous diets. And there are unhealthy vegetarian diets in addition to unhealthy omnivorous diets. Vegetarian is not automatically healthy. I see no reason he can't eat healthy meat at home.
    Yes I agree.
    I think its really silly to allow someone else to dictate what you can or can't eat. Why anyone would allow that. Must be that he just wants to keep the woman happy.