Are bodybuilders vain?

Options
This is just a question to see how others feel about it, so please play nicely. Opinions are welcome, so long as they are not bashing anyone else's opinions or each other....

So, do you think bodybuilding from bikini to fitness to figure to physique to bodybuilding is vain? And, why or why not?

my response - no. Why not? Because it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport.

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Vain? Aren't we all?

That said I know a handful of bb'ers that step on stage. No one knows more about every single thing they do or put in their bodies as bb'ers do. They may look like meatheads but they're very knowledgeable and meticulous.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Vain? Aren't we all?

That said I know a handful of bb'ers that step on stage. No one knows more about every single thing they do or put in their bodies as bb'ers do. They may look like meatheads but they're very knowledgeable and meticulous.

hip hip huzzah!

some are arrogant but most are pretty cool guys.
    As long as they arent juicing!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Naaa. That's like making a blanket statement that low carbers are militant or vegans are smug. Sure, SOME might be. But in general, no.

As Audrey Hepburn once said, "The most important thing is to enjoy your life--to be happy--it's all that matters." If you enjoy bodybuilding, fantastic.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I asked, because someone just made that very genrealized blanket statement elsewhere and it got me curious of what others thought... I obviously very strongly disagree, because I compete.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends got into bodybuilding a few years ago and is now a professional-level figure competitor and model. Honestly, it's like I don't even know her anymore. I ended up blocking her on facebook because every post was a photo she'd take at the gym that was making fun of someone, whether it was for their weight, what they were wearing, how they were using a machine, etc.)...and everything became about how awesome she was. On the flipside, I also work with a doctor who is a bodybuilder, and I ONLY know this because one of his nurses told me. He's so quiet about it and doesn't brag at all that I honestly had NO IDEA. So I think it truly depends on the person and how they let it effect them.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Vain? Aren't we all?

hip hip huzzah!

Do you know ones that don't??? Seriously. Even a good amount of the "natural" bb'ers juice. They just have it out of their system in time to compete. I mean when you can legally buy steroids over the counter at most nutrition stores it's a lot more common than you think, and by common I mean in the middle aged white guy category too. To be honest steroids tend to enhance your personality. If you're naturally a jerk you multiply it by ten. Roid rage is a myth TBH.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I asked, because someone just made that very genrealized blanket statement elsewhere and it got me curious of what others thought... I obviously very strongly disagree, because I compete.

Everyone has a calling in life. Ill forever admire the courage and discipline of competing bodybuilders/fitness/physique/bikini competitors. Its a sport, but just becuase it has to do with sculpting the body people get all twisted about tt.
    Options
    One of my good friends got into bodybuilding a few years ago and is now a professional-level figure competitor and model. Honestly, it's like I don't even know her anymore. I ended up blocking her on facebook because every post was a photo she'd take at the gym that was making fun of someone, whether it was for their weight, what they were wearing, how they were using a machine, etc.)...and everything became about how awesome she was. On the flipside, I also work with a doctor who is a bodybuilder, and I ONLY know this because one of his nurses told me. He's so quiet about it and doesn't brag at all that I honestly had NO IDEA. So I think it truly depends on the person and how they let it effect them.

IF that ever happened to me, I would ask that you dropkick me in the head. Motivation is one thing, knocking others is just not cool...
  • tig_ol_bitties
    Options

IF that ever happened to me, I would ask that you dropkick me in the head. Motivation is one thing, knocking others is just not cool...

I've called her out on it many times, but got sick of it, so I just blocked myself from having to see her posts, haha.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This is just a question to see how others feel about it, so please play nicely. Opinions are welcome, so long as they are not bashing anyone else's opinions or each other....

So, do you think bodybuilding from bikini to fitness to figure to physique to bodybuilding is vain? And, why or why not?

my response - no. Why not? Because it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport.

I agree with " it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport."

However, the sport is judged on how you look. So "Vanity" for sure yes.

As far as being Vain, being in the sport, one would have to be excessively concerned about one's own appearance, which is the definition of Vain.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Being dedicated DOESN'T mean you are vain. It says in the bible to treat your body like a temple. The healthier you are the better you feel. Thats not VANITY but SANITY!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    To a degree... yes, it's vain. Is that bad? No. It's just as vain for someone to want to win a softball game, or do well in a 5k race, or kick butt in Scrabble.
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Vain? Aren't we all?

hip hip huzzah!

Do you know ones that don't??? Seriously. Even a good amount of the "natural" bb'ers juice. They just have it out of their system in time to compete. I mean when you can legally buy steroids over the counter at most nutrition stores it's a lot more common than you think, and by common I mean in the middle aged white guy category too. To be honest steroids tend to enhance your personality. If you're naturally a jerk you multiply it by ten. Roid rage is a myth TBH.

I know a body builder that doesn't juice and he looks better than a lot of the ones that do.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options

Agreed! I understand insecurities...we all have them...some more than others BUT if you have insecurities WITH YOURSELF well, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! I don't care if that bodybuilder friend has an awesome body, she is very clearly a ball of insecurities if she gets a rise out of making fun of others.
    Options

I agree with " it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport."

However, the sport is judged on how you look. So "Vanity" for sure yes.

As far as being Vain, being in the sport, one would have to be excessively concerned about one's own appearance, which is the definition of Vain.

I can appreciate that response. I think it is more about achieving and maintaining a healthy body, mind and soul, but that's just my opinion.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    Options

Agreed! I understand insecurities...we all have them...some more than others BUT if you have insecurities WITH YOURSELF well, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! I don't care if that bodybuilder friend has an awesome body, she is very clearly a ball of insecurities if she gets a rise out of making fun of others.

Yeah, the one that sent me over the edge to blocking her was when she took a photo of a girl lying on the ground who was about my size. She captioned it with "WTF?! This fat b*tch in mis-matched clothes is STARING at me. As if she could possibly keep up with my workout, haha!" Or something very similar. Yeah, that was the end of that.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No, that would assume that anyone who is trying to reach a physical or fitness goal is vain. I lift, and I run, I've been considering entering a comp this year and my attitude toward it isn't much different than my attitude toward running. Like any other sport, you have to train, have discipline, push your limits to do well, push your abilities beyond what you though you could possibly imagine, and then compete.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Some vanity and self-interest is healthy. I look at the fitness model thing as a great outlet for a woman to express herself and the self-motivation tends to be contagious.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Vain? Aren't we all?

Yup. I'm totally vain. Not crazy-spending-my-rent-money-on-Botox vain.. but vain. I mean.. I'm pretty. :happy:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think entering any kind of competition based on how you look is vain.

If you aren't doing it to be judged on how you look, but because you happen to just like lifting weights, then no.

I don't really understand the entire psychology behind looks based competitions, though, that goes for body building competitions, swimsuit competitions and pageants. I think it's all vapid.