Are bodybuilders vain?

Options

Replies

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    They are SO vain.
    They probably think this thread is about them.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Best comment on the thread.
    As a side note anyone competing in body building has my respect. You girls, ( & guys) rock, and are an inspiration. You look good and there's nothing wrong with being sexy & knowing it.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    This is just a question to see how others feel about it, so please play nicely. Opinions are welcome, so long as they are not bashing anyone else's opinions or each other....

So, do you think bodybuilding from bikini to fitness to figure to physique to bodybuilding is vain? And, why or why not?

my response - no. Why not? Because it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport.

I'm sorry, but this post is worded to encourage bashing, regardless of the "play nicely" admonition.

Not unless you're planning on starting the bashing, as I see it everyone is coming in here with a supported logical or anecdotal point of view without getting nasty . . . I see lots and lots of nice back and forth.

If it's not intended to get people bashing then why not ask "What do you think of bodybuilders?" instead of "Are bodybuilders vain?" The question seems worded to cause bashing. This seems confirmed by the "no bashing" admonition.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is just a question to see how others feel about it, so please play nicely. Opinions are welcome, so long as they are not bashing anyone else's opinions or each other....

So, do you think bodybuilding from bikini to fitness to figure to physique to bodybuilding is vain? And, why or why not?

my response - no. Why not? Because it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport.

I agree with " it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport."

However, the sport is judged on how you look. So "Vanity" for sure yes.

As far as being Vain, being in the sport, one would have to be excessively concerned about one's own appearance, which is the definition of Vain.

I can appreciate that response. I think it is more about achieving and maintaining a healthy body, mind and soul, but that's just my opinion.

That may be your opinion, but I don't see them being judged in competition on either fitness OR health. In fact, the tanning most of them do is specifically NOT healthy. They are judged on appearance ONLY. I have to believe it's their top concern.

I'll also add that if fitness and health are the only concern, then they wouldn't have to go to such extremes. I'm fit and healthy, but I'm certainly not in the kind of shape I would need to be in to compete in a body-building competition.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

I agree with " it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport."

However, the sport is judged on how you look. So "Vanity" for sure yes.

As far as being Vain, being in the sport, one would have to be excessively concerned about one's own appearance, which is the definition of Vain.

I can appreciate that response. I think it is more about achieving and maintaining a healthy body, mind and soul, but that's just my opinion.

That may be your opinion, but I don't see them being judged in competition on either fitness OR health. In fact, the tanning most of them do is specifically NOT healthy. They are judged on appearance ONLY. I have to believe it's their top concern.

And, that is OK that you feel that way, I'm not going to try to persuade you to see it the way I do, BUT the tanning is generally a spraytan that happens the day before and day of the show that washes off.

Not the point. They are NOT judged on fitness or health. They are judged on appearance. There is no particular need to be healthy involved.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of people who have become bodybuilders, both male and female and while they can be a bit vain at times, especially near competition time they're still generally really nice people. A lot of work and dedication goes into what they do so you can't fault them for being vain at times when they are judged by how their physique looks - just as long as they don't totally change for the worse cause of it!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    If it's not intended to get people bashing then why not ask "What do you think of bodybuilders?" instead of "Are bodybuilders vain?" The question seems worded to cause bashing. This seems confirmed by the "no bashing" admonition.

I believe I stated that I saw someone post that statement, therefore, thought it would be interesting to see others take on it as well, nothing more. There was no ill intent behind the question, just morbid curiousity.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't know or care about body builders. All that matters to me is that I'm awesome. Everyone else can bite me.
    I prefer to nibble, more satisfying for less calories.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders are people so yes some may be vain while others may not.....having pride in your appearance and working hard to get the body you want is not being vain. Bodybuilders put alot of time and effort into everything they do and eat, and as someone new to lifting weights.........they spend alot of time sore and learning about their bodies to get the results.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

Being dedicated DOESN'T mean you are vain. It says in the bible to treat your body like a temple. The healthier you are the better you feel. Thats not VANITY but SANITY!

Discipline is good, treating your body like a temple is good, worshiping your body is another thing. If we're gonna use biblical references it would be good to include (in my opinion) that of all I do, God gets the glory from it. so while losing weight, or while bodybuilders perfect their bodies for the sport, they thank him for the motivation, strength, the mindset, endurance, whatever because it comes from him. Whenever I see my weight loss become more important than God I have to check myself, because this body will fade away and return to dust, but my soul needs a home, and I want that to be in Heaven with my savior.

Took that in a completely different direction, but that's my stance. :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Fact is, there has yet to be any such bashing, just a conversation back and forth about people's opinions (which is what the op was looking for at any rate, right). You, actually, are the only person I've seen post on here with an opinion that doesn't actually address the question as to whether or not you think that bodybuilders are vain.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

I'm sorry, but this post is worded to encourage bashing, regardless of the "play nicely" admonition.

2w1uopd.jpg
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    And as I said, I would be comfortable with "What do you think of [some group's members]?" but when you ask "Are [some group's members] vain?" it encourages people to bash. I think you felt the people you read saying it WERE bashing. Why is you saying it any different?

The only reason I added "play nicely" was because I've been in several "let's BASH the bikini models/bodybuilders threads, so I didn't want to get off track from the original question. It seems someone is quite determined to do as such anyways. But, I'm ok with that, too. :flowerforyou:
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Fact is, there has yet to be any such bashing, just a conversation back and forth about people's opinions (which is what the op was looking for at any rate, right). You, actually, are the only person I've seen post on here with an opinion that doesn't actually address the question as to whether or not you think that bodybuilders are vain.

Fact is, I have indeed posted my opinion on that. I still think the OP's question is worded to encourage bashing.

And your response is instigating it...so really, who is truly at fault if bashing begins?
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    my ex is vain. very much so. however, even though he is very dedicated to his diet and work out regimen.... he wasn't all that vain about his body or looks. it was much more so about his brain. he typically rubs people the wrong way. comes off very arrogant and flippant. and he is. i suppose some could think it's due to his looks/ dedication to perfecting his body...... he practically lives in the gym.

but, his vanity goes SOOO much deeper than outward appearances. it's not an attractive personality trait in my opinion. it made him look very unappealing to me. even though i know his attitude didn't stem from his body i find myself turned off by that look now. i don't like it anymore. i guess i wonder what is lurking underneath that exterior...........
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You have to have a level of vanity because the point is to look better than your competition. But many competitors attitudes of vanity depend on how they view themselves compared to average people. If they were ridiculed as a child about their body (whether skinny or fat) then make a transformation, they could be taking out a lot of vented up anger on those who used to ridicule them.
    IMO, if your attitude is that you're superior to everyone else around you in physique, then it's beyond vanity and edging on narcissism. If you feel good about how you look and want to keep getting better, then it's just normal vanity.
    And vanity doesn't just apply to bodybuilders and figure, fitness, bikini competitors. There are people who are vain who spend money on clothing, plastic surgery, cars, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Fact is, I have indeed posted my opinion on that. I still think the OP's question is worded to encourage bashing.

Ah, yes, I see where in the rest of your derailment you responded with "appearance is their main concern." Good to see we can get back on topic.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    2w1uopd.jpg

I want that kitty!

Niner, I agree. I have a friend who was overweight when he was young and I think not very popular in high school. He's not a competitor, but he works out and body builds super hard. He looks good, but he can also be a major jerk and says very nasty things about people who don't live up to his physical standards. A lot of people kind of want to punch him on a regular basis. lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I don't feel that way. She was encouraging conversation from people who don't compete and getting their opinions. It's good to hear from people who don't look at it from a competitors view.

IDEA Fitness member
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    To a degree... yes, it's vain. Is that bad? No. It's just as vain for someone to want to win a softball game, or do well in a 5k race, or kick butt in Scrabble.

I do kick butt in Scrabble.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you don't know it yet, the tanning is a color application that washes off. Many don't even hit the tanning booth or lay out in the sun.

IDEA Fitness member