Kids and Calories

Options
I have a question: How many calories should a kid eat? I'm not trying to be Calorie Police on my son, I am actually worried that he may not be getting enough.

He is almost 7 years old, 48.5 inches tall (last time I measured, might be a bit taller) and 54-55lbs. To look at him, he looks scrawny lol But he is SOLID as a rock. He is insanely active, always running around, playing with the other kids I babysit, and then he plays ice hockey twice a week, ground hockey for a couple hours every Sunday, and does dry land training a couple times a week for 30 minutes. He starts playing soccer at least twice a week the end of May. PLUS all the playing he does. He is never forced to do any activity, this is all his choosing (to be completely honest, he wanted to play lacrosse this summer as well but we said no because it seemed like too much). He isnt a super fussy eater but will go through stages where he will only eat certain things (thankfully there is almost always a fruit or veggie involved). Just wondering how much he should be eating because the kid is always hungry lol

Replies

• AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Anyone at all???????
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most kids should have more than most adults! They are growing, far more active (usually), and just plain need more fuel! As long as they aren't overweight, they can eat as much as they feel they need. As long as it's good stuff, fruits and veggies, good proteins, etc. None of that super processed sugary junk out there! At least, not a lot of it.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with your son's doctor? They will be the best person to give the advice. Or maybe speak with a nutritionist if you have concerns.

It's hard to say how many calories a child should eat. Seems like he has healthy enough habits for the most part which is great!

If you are concerned he isn't getting enough can you sneak him extra healthy snacks? Low fat cheese strings, healthy crackers and cheese, higher calorie milk, some nuts (if there is no allergy involved), apple slices and peanut butter? You could add some healthy calories to his meals and snacks where possible.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure on the calorie count, but I just looked up portion sizes for kids. My son is 10 and I don't know where he puts all the food! anyways... I was looking up portion sizes for kids and here's a couple of links I found.

http://www.nickjr.com/kids-health/eating-healthy/portion-control/portion-sizes-for-kids_ap.html

http://www.kids-meal-ideas.com/healthy-portion-size.html

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/HealthierKids/HowtoMakeaHealthyHome/Take-Control-of-Portion-Sizes_UCM_304051_Article.jsp
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Kids are kids... so long as obesity or malnutrition does not come into the scene... I wouldn't worry about it... My 7 year old is short and weighs less than 50 lbs... Insanely hyperactive... eats one week, doesn't the next... I encourage healthy meals, and allow him kid foods as well from time to time... But, if your pediatrician isn't concerned... personally, I wouldn't be either :)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    He's young and it seems strange to me that you are worried about this at his height/age and weight - sounds like you have nothing to worry about - I have a scrawny kid who is active also - Dr says as long as their growing --- its all good

Obviously healthy choices...but kids are smart and eat when they are hungry....sometimes alot sometimes a little....
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. I have a 7 year old who is about 47 inches and 46 lbs and is picky :( But I agree it would probably be a good idea to ask his doctor
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    He is almost 7 years old, 48.5 inches tall (last time I measured, might be a bit taller) and 54-55lbs. To look at him, he looks scrawny lol But he is SOLID as a rock. He is insanely active, always running around, playing with the other kids I babysit, and then he plays ice hockey twice a week, ground hockey for a couple hours every Sunday, and does dry land training a couple times a week for 30 minutes. He starts playing soccer at least twice a week the end of May. PLUS all the playing he does. He is never forced to do any activity, this is all his choosing (to be completely honest, he wanted to play lacrosse this summer as well but we said no because it seemed like too much). He isnt a super fussy eater but will go through stages where he will only eat certain things (thankfully there is almost always a fruit or veggie involved). Just wondering how much he should be eating because the kid is always hungry lol

This is my son to a T but replace soccer with flag football but everything else is pretty much the exact some thing except he will be 7 in a few weeks. I have worried about this too. Well I worry that I offer too many lowfat options and they kids are not getting the fat they need to stay healthy. But have always had the thought they eat when they are hungry at least that is what I tell myself.

We go in a few months for his annual, and I assume he will be right at the 40-50% range as always. He is all muscle and not an ounce of fat but still in the 80% for BMR (based on height and weight). Who knows where they get that #, even the Doctor thought that was in accurate and recalculated it. Guess if you are all muscle it can do that? I think if he were falling on the lower side of the charts I would maybe be concerned KWIM? I just make sure the foods I provide for him are healthy and feed his body the way it should. That does not mean we don't eat the "bad" stuff, but means our pizzas are LOADED with veggies. ;)
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    Sounds like my kid. He is scrawny, 7 years old, tall and lanky. I would not worry. As long as the doc is not overly concerned and he is getting all the basic food groups and not substituting soft drinks or stuff like that, quit worrying momma! :) My mother tells me all the time "he is too skinny." Our kids are just into the outdoors and no so much video games so they are not porky! be proud! :)
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    Sounds like my kid. He is scrawny, 7 years old, tall and lanky. I would not worry. As long as the doc is not overly concerned and he is getting all the basic food groups and not substituting soft drinks or stuff like that, quit worrying momma! :) My mother tells me all the time "he is too skinny." Our kids are just into the outdoors and no so much video games so they are not porky! be proud! :)

BTW, he is like 55-56 pounds right now.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My 7 yr old girl tops out at 45 lbs. but we have severe food allergies thus a very limited diet. However for our 10 yr old the dr has told us that we should let him eat if he is hungry-healthy foods. She says he wont eat these jsut because he is craving something and sweets are important too so he can learn young how to control those...so he eats what he wants, with a limit of one sweet a day fo his choosing. At 10 years old he gets this never over eats and is at a perfect weight according to his dr. I tyr not push this but just live it, both for my self and them. If they grow up knowing to eat only when hungry then they will liekly avoid binges!! I hope :ohwell:
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    My daughter is 6 and very tall for her age, yet only weighs 50 lbs and wears slim pants or pants with adjustable waistbands. Adjustable waists have long been the solution to her long legs and slim body! I fear I will be a midget in comparison soon as her dad is 6'5", and I am only 5'5". Lol! Anyway, she eats a healthy, balanced diet, but her doctor has always had me have her drink Vitamin D milk compared to my skim milk. :)
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You should def spk with ur sons doctor. When my daughter was younger she use to take medication that would curve her appetite so she was lil smaller than the rest, her doctor told me to give her pedia sure which def helped.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    My son is 7 too, 48in tall and 44lbs and eats a ton of food:) His is very active like your son with baseball and wrestling. We are not worried about him at all. He eats when he wants and it's mostly all healthy food (he is a kid, can't deprive him of an oreo or goldfish). My husband is very tall and thin, I assume he just takes after my husband. I wouldn't worry about it but check with his doctor if it would make you feel more comfortable. My 9yo daughter is about 55" and 56lbs, a tiny little thing and eats food like it is going to disappear from the cabinets. I'm 5' 114lbs and my husband is 6' and about 160lbs, genetics plays a big part in how our children are built.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old like that! His doctor told me to feed him whenever he wanted...even before bed, before dinner whatever. I found that my kid has a totally different feeding schedule than the rest of us and likes to eat right before bed. He also needs a HUGE breakfast but usually skips lunch or asks for the occasional PB&J! Sometimes at dinner he isn't interested because he is just not hungry and others he eats like a horse. Then other nights he eats a dinner and a second dinner before bed! Since we have been feeding him on his schedule he is looking so much better - not the skin and bones look that he was.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    When I looked it up recently I found the recommendation was about 1200 calories per day for both of my kids, ages 4 and 7. But that would likely be higher for a child who is very athletic.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That sounds like my oldest...7 years old (8 in June) and about 45 lbs. But he's healthy, active, eats well! I offer healthy snack options and he can eat as much as he likes at meals, he just burns it off!
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few things on here about which milk is being given to kids. Children really shouldn't be drinking skim milk unless they are obese before they are t least 10 years. The younger they are the higher the fat percentage should be. Obviously at one year they should start to be switched to 2% from formula, slowly weaning them off the formula over several months. But they should be drinking 2% until they are at least 6 or 7. If you feel it is necessary (they are slightly chunky or overweight) at that point children can be switched to 1%. Most doctors do not recommend skim milk for children at all until they are in their teens.
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have seen a few things on here about which milk is being given to kids. Children really shouldn't be drinking skim milk unless they are obese before they are t least 10 years. The younger they are the higher the fat percentage should be. Obviously at one year they should start to be switched to 2% from formula, slowly weaning them off the formula over several months. But they should be drinking 2% until they are at least 6 or 7. If you feel it is necessary (they are slightly chunky or overweight) at that point children can be switched to 1%. Most doctors do not recommend skim milk for children at all until they are in their teens.

And, in my case, with my daughter being so slender, her doctor has always had her on Vitamin D (whole) milk since she was weaned from nursing at a year old.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you. You are right. I was only thinking 2%, 1%, and skim. I completely forgot about whole. Duh! Yes, they should be weaned off formula to whole milk.