Kids and Calories

2»

Replies

• charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    If you go onto a childs bmi calculator and punch in his information.....he is on the 62th percentile, he is in a healthy range. No need to worry. Just keep him eating healthy foods....fueling his body :)
    I have four boys. Two are in the 95th percentile (over weight), one is in the 15th percentile, and the other is one pound away from being underweight. Same house, same food, different genetics ect. = one frusterated Mom!
    Your son sounds like he is at a great weight for his age and height! Keep up the good work Mom!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 614 Member
    I looked this up because i was nervous that my son was eating too much. He is just like your son and weighs the same amount. It said kids should eat 1200-1400 a day.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    I don't think it's that helpful to think in terms of calories - just allow your son unlimited access to good, healthy food and let him eat as much as he wants! There is no point in trying to make him eat more or a certain amount, he'll eat what his body needs.

I have three boys and they seem to be always hungry, especially my 8 and 6 year olds. They come to me an hour after a meal and ask what there is to eat. I just keep the house stocked with healthy foods and let them eat as much as they want. High calorie foods like nuts are a favorite for them. If it's getting close to a meal, like within an hour of it, I do cut them off and have them wait, but otherwise they can have at it!

ETA: my 6 and 8 year olds are skinny, too, and very active and energetic...I think that age is just kind of a skinny, lanky age for a lot of boys. The kids in their classrooms looks just the same. They are growing in height so fast that their weight has trouble keeping up! I'm not worried about it.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I guess I was just worried about him being so "scrawny" looking and so active, was worried that he wasnt getting enough food to fuel his body. But your right, he will eat when he is hungry. I do make sure I have lots of healthy snacks on hand as well as some treats....I'm just a worrywart about him sometimes lol
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 137 Member
    lol I have one of those too he seems to be constantly moving and will eat anything not nailed down and probably around the nail! He loves apples and oranges and fruit and veggies of every kind. His favorite though is Broccoli yes Broccoli you ask him what he wants for dinner and it is always either Broccoli and chicken or salad. I worry that he isn't getting enough as well because he is ALWAYS hungry. But my Doctor says that kids usually know how much they need and will eat until they are full and will go on with their day. So best advice is keep healthy snacks around the house and you should be good. I always keep some kind of snack on me when we go anywhere and when I pick him up from school that seems to help alot. Also, he is a HUGE fan of oatmeal in the morning (and awful waffles) so as long as you are providing the fuel they will go go go! Good luck!