Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options
astrampe
astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
I can't help to notice that cardio has been getting a seriously bad rep lately....

I get the idea that strengh/resistance whatever you want to call it is a vital part of losing weight and staying healthy, but there are more and more threads where people get told that 2 days of cardio per week is too much????

What about the health benefits of regular cardio vs just "heavy lifting"?

I know what works for me (cardio 4+ times a week from 30 mins to 1.5 hour on long runs, and lifting (though i doubt that some cousins of the Incredible Hulk on here would call it heavy!:tongue: ) 3 times a week....
it gives me an all round program, burns calories, sustain lean muscle and makes me happy - oh, and got my bp down from borderline hypertention (139/89 to 117/70) and my body fat % down from 49.6 to 29%, so why the dislike of it?

Any ideas on why cardio is bad all of a sudden? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people here, as much as they pretend not to sometimes, fall victim to the diet/fitness fads. Less cardio must be a new one. I do cardio almost every day and lift every other or so (or do circuits that combine them). The heart is a muscle too, right? I'd almost rather have a wussy body figure and a healthy heart from cardio that vice versa.

But I don't know why all the cardio hate.
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love cardio, I like getting out of breath and sweaty and I like getting my heart beat up and going red, makes me feel good.

I've seen a few posts saying bad stuff about cardio, I don't get it either.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think it's the whole "if you only do cardio you will be skinny fat" or whatever. I know that a good balance of cardio and strength training is important, but goodness. To each their own, if someone wants to do cardio every day, at least they're moving!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    cardio is KING!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I do mainly strength training but still do cardio. I have not really noticed people admonishing cardio on the site...I think tons of folks are highlighting weight training because so many did not realize that lifting can also help lose weight. You need a good combo of weight training, cardio, and diet to make real changes and keep them.
  • reneeramirez4christ
    reneeramirez4christ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen those posts but I have noticed more and more people giving advice that just isn't healthy. Cardio is wonderful for the heart and keeping people healthy. Yes people should take a break from hard core cardio at least once a week, but a good 30 minutes of cardio a day is excellent.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love my cardio and will never give it up. I will do strength 1 - 2x per week but I'm all about cardio!
  • mick_02
    mick_02 Posts: 27
    Options
    I love cardio. I feel so much better after a long run then I ever do lifting. I know that gaining muscle is important to maintaining a healthy weight but cardio is awesome :)
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was just waiting on the weather to change :blushing:
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I look forward to my cardio...........it's what's helping me shed these #"s!! I also do some weight training too, a good balance is a good thing.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Cardio leads to "skinny fat" and some people seem to have issues with the whole "skinny fat" look and think that every muscle should be worked hard and defined.. Yea sure I do strength training but I do not wanna get "ripped"

I'd like to have a "skinny fat" body.. But if people hear me say that I get stick for it
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    Although my focus is strength training (4-5 times a week) I still do at least 30 min cardio every day. It is VERY important for burning fat. No matter how much you lift, if you still got too much fat in your body the results won't be as good or noticeable, and you'll have higher chances of getting hurt. I believe there must be a combination of both if you want best results.
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I bike and walk everyday....it's what I do !

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]2272382.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not with me.

I was in the best shape of my life when I could run 6 minute miles and could squat 300 lbs. I run 5 times a week minimum and I do stronglifts 5X5 for my strength training.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It's not that cardio is bad - cardio is great! You need cardio to burn calories. The reason why strength training is being promoted is because usually (women, mostly) are unfamiliar with the concept of strength training and how it can help them. If you do ONLY cardio all the time, and don't SUPPLEMENT your workouts with strength training, you're missing out on some serious benefits.

I personally try to promote strength training as a great tool for people who want to get healthy, and encourage people not to shy away from it. But that certainly doesn't mean cardio is bad! Cardio is just what everyone seems to already be used to and familiar with, so it isn't addressed in conversation as much.

Hope this helps!
  • PeachKitty
    Options
    Doctors recommend at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise a day, to the point of "getting warm and slightly out of breath."

Any exercise is good exercise, as long as you keep it in moderation.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I think it's the whole "if you only do cardio you will be skinny fat" or whatever. I know that a good balance of cardio and strength training is important, but goodness. To each their own, if someone wants to do cardio every day, at least they're moving!
    ^^^^This!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5 x's a week and TRY and do some strength 3 x's a week (though my schedule has been tough these last couple weeks)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm another runner - 4 times per week with my long run on Sundays, I also row, bike, swim and do weights.

I suspect that one reason cardio may get a bad rap has to do with all of the misinformation floating around out there about the "fat burning zone", as if it's some kind of magic bullet - it certainly seems like there are lots of personal trainers that don't understand it well.

Personally I think being able to run 20km is a far more useful skill than being able to bench press or deadlift some extraordinary amount of weight, we'll survive the zombie apocalypse.:laugh:

We just need to unabashedly speak up for ourselves!