Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    My cardio has helped me lose 11 lbs in 22 days. I don't do anything else,but cardio. :-)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great, but so is strength training and women, especially, tend to shy away from lifting weights or building muscle.

A good, healthy lifestyle usually incorporates some of both.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Blame Dr. Mercola for popularizing HIIT and the idea that if you are doing cardio for more than 20 minutes you are just wasting your time, or worse, doing damage.

Not that I've got anything against HIIT. I just don't like the villifying of cardio either. I haven't started any HIIT, though I intend to once it gets light out in the mornings and my training program is done, but I think that combining a mixture of cardio, HIIT, and weight training would be awesome for me.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I see what you mean. I just got New Rules of Lifting for Women, and in the intro, even that book talks about how you should cut back on cardio and focus on strength. I don't know that the author was promoting giving up cardio, but he did make it sound like he was poo-pooing it a bit.

For me, it's all about THREE things, actually--cardio (I'm a runner, and that chance to get out and pound the ground is the best part of my day much of the time) and strength training (yes, heavy--if you can; but anything will help with muscle development and bone density to some degree, if you can't) are both important, but there's a third element I think ties in that not enough people seem to focus on. Flexibility! Yeah, build your fast twitch muscle skills, and make them stronger, but if you also work to make them more flexible, you increase grace, balance, and poise. Being flexible, unlike the other two, often makes me feel lighter even if I haven't lost any weight.

So for me, it's always going to be cardio, strength, flexibility. Running, lifting heavy, and yoga, in my case. It's all about using your body in the ways it is meant to be used. :)

Peace
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I think it's because the notion of Strength Training for women is only recently becoming widely accepted. Initially, it will hog the spotlight, but eventually it will balance out to the point where it's seen as equally valuable to Cardio. It was the missing piece of the puzzle of fitness for many years, and now it's coming to light more people are 'band-wagoning' - not that that is a bad thing in this case.

In the fitness community, also, skinny-fat is regarded in almost the same light as obesity and low body fat, strength and muscularity are what people like to see in such places. And as cardio doesn't further your progress towards improved strength or muscularity, it's seen as a waste of time.

Me personally, I just hate cardio. Flat, dead, hate it. I love weight lifting and resistance training though.

And I think if you truly hate it, don't do it. But, you aren't saying "Oh, weight lifting is BETTER than cardio". You are simply saying you prefer it to cardio. There's a difference. Some people will flat out tell someone to STOP doing cardio and JUST lift. Considering not everyone has the same goals, I think it does a serious disservice to people when you tell them that.
    Indeed. For many of the friends on my friends list, cardio is their staple exercise and that's absolutely fine. At the end of the day, we're all here to be healthier and you shouldn't try to dissuade people from bettering themselves because of how they're choosing to exercise. I will always recommend to people to take up strength training, but I'll never tell them to stop doing cardio - some people need to cut down, sure, like people eating VLCDs and murdering 600-800 calorie burns 6 days a week, but that's a very rare instance when cardio really is bad for you.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I love cardio and will continue to do it even as I incorporate weight training.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Everyone had their own personal goals. Some people try to push their goals on others.

I do cardio daily for general fitness & fat loss, and I also strength train 4x a week.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Beats me. I'm a runner, and I do cardio six days a week. I also lift three days a week, but I try to concentrate mostly on 'the core' for better running form. I want muscle to burn extra fat, but I don't care about being muscular.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    "Cardio" , oh I feel so naughty... I do not understand where these ideas have come from cardio is a good form of exercise.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great, but so is strength training and women, especially, tend to shy away from lifting weights or building muscle.

A good, healthy lifestyle usually incorporates some of both.

^^ This exactly
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yeah - strength training / getting ripped is more "in fashion" than just slimming down, these days. Maybe it's getting even worse with the coming of summer?

Anyway, I do 4 days of Cardio and 2 days of Strength Training. Day 7 is rest/stretching. I think it's working pretty well for me. I'm a guy, but I would also prefer to be slim and slightly toned - not interested in being ripped/beefy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I can't help to notice that cardio has been getting a seriously bad rep lately....

Any ideas on why cardio is bad all of a sudden? :flowerforyou:

Because heavy cardio on heavy calorie restricted diets causes problems, sometimes even if you are eating your exercise calories back.

You just can't get enough carbs to replenish what you burn after multiple days, and at that point muscle must be broken down to supply glucose for blood sugar to be stable.

Plus, since cardio is mainly burning calories ONLY during the workout, not much after, compared to weight lifting less during the workout, but more fat later - for the majority dealing with fat loss, it works better.

I'd also guess the majority really aren't into working out that much, even with the lifestyle changes. You and I and others love a big long run or bike ride, others must never have enjoyed that as much, so weight lifting is shorter for still great effects.

Pure side effect too, if they stay on the restricted diet that is probably a tad too much to realistically do, the change from some days cardio to weight lifting with less calorie burn and glucose use is probably saving them, causing them to not undercut their BMR by so much, also speeding recovery.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I work out for myself and no one else. I train 7 days a week which for some is too much. If I don’t work out I feel guilty about not working out. 3 days a week I have started doing a preplanned work out for 5k training. Starting Friday this week I am starting another training program that one of the dancing with stars created which is an intense Jazzercise work out with weights. I will also through in some weight lifting boxing and anything I feel that is comfortable for me. I want to be healthy but I have to do what I am comfortable with or I am not going to stick with it so I have preplanned work outs I a fallow.
  • CouldBeAHotMom
    Options
    As part of my course work to become a registered dietitian I am currently taking a course on the essentials of strength training and conditioning, it's part of the course work fitness professionals take in order to become certified. According to the information presented in that class, the ratio of cardio to strength training is dependent on your goals. However, you still need both regardless of those goals. Strength training helps not only tone and build muscle, it helps improve bone and connective tissue stability. Cardio keeps your cardiovascular system in shape, which in turn keeps your organs - including muscles - functioning. Even if you don't lift weights or go to a gym, you should be at least using your own body weight for resistance exercise to tone your muscles. You don't need to look like a power-lifter to be in shape and healthy.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Methinks it's not a good idea to criticize anything healthy that works for one person or another.

I used to go to the gym regularly, do all the circuit machines and consulted with a trainer regularly. I did a little bit of a treadmill warm up, but primarily my routine was 45 minutes, 4 days a week, sensible/mostly vegetarian diet.

While from a strength perspective, I was pleased (could bench press more than my then 160 lbs, was working up to non-assisted pull ups, could do just about anything involving leg lifts/presses with ease) I did not like that I could not seem to lose weight and honestly, that muscle beneath the fat was not doing anything for me. I felt bulky, not powerful or lean.

(Before anyone thwarts me, I'm talking about MY experience...yours may be different and if so, awesome and I am truly sincerey happy for you!)

However, when I kept to the same nutrition and began walking daily, one hour/five miles a day, five days a week, the fat melted off.

Now, years later, I'm including calorie counting and stationary biking most days (five on, two off/an hour a day) and again, the scales are moving in the right direction.

I may do some lifting once I burn off more of this chunk, but I'm all for cardio. It invigorates me and I feel guilty and like crap if I don't ride.

So...whatever works for you! None of us becomes an expert based on what works for us; we can share tips (and for Heaven's sakes...awesome recipes!) but we can't expect for our experience to be Gospel for everyone 'cause we're all different!

Here's to your healthy workout, whether cardio, lifting or a little bit of both!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've been cardio-obsessed (2-3 hrs a day, 6 days a week) for a while. It's definitely led to the skinny fat issue for me, so I'm working on shifting gears and scaling my cardio waaaay back (maybe 4 hours a week tops, not sure I'll be able to do this though, lol) in an effort to focus more on lifting & toning my muscles. Just a personal preference though...to each their own. I enjoy a good cardio session, which is why I don't think I'll be able to get below 4 hours a week.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nuff Said.......
    I do mainly strength training but still do cardio. I have not really noticed people admonishing cardio on the site...I think tons of folks are highlighting weight training because so many did not realize that lifting can also help lose weight. You need a good combo of weight training, cardio, and diet to make real changes and keep them.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Beats me. I'm a runner, and I do cardio six days a week. I also lift three days a week, but I try to concentrate mostly on 'the core' for better running form. I want muscle to burn extra fat, but I don't care about being muscular.
    Thanks - that's me too.....
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm another runner - 4 times per week with my long run on Sundays, I also row, bike, swim and do weights.

I suspect that one reason cardio may get a bad rap has to do with all of the misinformation floating around out there about the "fat burning zone", as if it's some kind of magic bullet - it certainly seems like there are lots of personal trainers that don't understand it well.

Personally I think being able to run 20km is a far more useful skill than being able to bench press or deadlift some extraordinary amount of weight, we'll survive the zombie apocalypse.:laugh:

We just need to unabashedly speak up for ourselves!

THIS!! I pretty much only do cardio.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    so skinny fat > normal fat? lol

In my book it is! Hahaha. But that's because even though my body fat is still high, a lot of things have changed for me since losing weight. I am no longer at risk for diabetes, my blood pressure has dropped, I don't get winded when I go for walks, and my chance of finally having kids has increased greatly.

I'm not saying it's healthy to STAY skinny fat. I'm not a doctor. In fact, I'm going to discuss this with my doctor on Tuesday. But I do know that initially, FOR ME, it has been better to focus on cardio and losing the weight rather than forcing myself to do strength training when I don't feel ready for it. But again, this is just me.