Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Most of my workout is cardio.. I mean its been helping me lose weight from all over my body and then I just do stregnth training to tone my body.. but most of what i do is cardio.. helps you keep a strong heart also.. love it
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What is skinny fat?

Skinny weight wise, but still high percentage of fat.

When your diet/exercise combo burns off too much muscle along with the fat.
    [/quote

Oh ok thanks...I get lost in the lingo sometimes!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've been an MFP member for a year and it's always been poo-pooed by a rather large segment of the members. My thoughts are there are 2 reasons:

I have come to realize that a good number of members come here from bodybuilding.com and/or other body building sites to "teach" us poor heart healthy people how to have awesomely muscley bodies, without which we cannot look good naked.

Some people care more about their abs than their hearts.

You don't get killer abs without lots of cardio and strength training!

I suppose that depends on what you mean by killer abs. Not everyone wants a six pack.

I know people with 6 packs that do very little cardio. All it takes is a caloric deficit (which can be done by diet alone, or combining diet and exercise. There is the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" for a reason.

My abs are fading (bulking) and I wouldn't exactly call my photo a 6-pack, but just as a point, I don't do any cardio at all, or any ab work.

Now that being said, I think cardio is great and if people enjoy doing it, you should definitely do it.
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    That is the same thing I do.. cardio is a good part of a workout and so is stregnth training.. they work well together..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't bad. You just should add in strength as well. There is plenty of evidence that says you should do cardio at least 3-5 times a week about 30-45 minutes and I will continue to do that. Each persons body is different do whats best for you. I've lost 9 pounds so far due to manily cardio and eating right. I am just now adding in weights. EVERY BODY is different.

Actually all of our bodies (genetics) are very very similar with only slight differences. Cadio is a good calorie burned, which allows you to eat more and lose the same amount of weight as if you did no cardio.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but... are you really telling me I'm not gaining muscle from doing cardio? My sore muscles must have been misinformed.

Yes, you are gaining muscle. My muscular legs from tons of cardio attest to that.

they make look more muscular but doing cardio alone will not build the legs up.

My legs look great from doing cardio like spin, treadmill and elliptical and i feel more muscle in my legs and butt. I haven't done any weights with my legs.
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    I've been running for almost 2 years, and i am NOT skinny/fat! Lol. That's the weirdest thing iv'e heard. if you eat right and do cardio you will lose fat and keep your muscles.

you will keep some most of your muscle yes, but you would have kept more had you done strength training all along.

Not arguing about that. :smile: But saying that runners are skinny/fat is a strange thing to say. I have very low fat percentage on my body, and iv'e been eating so that i dont burn off my muscles.

I run cause i love it. :heart: If you want bigger muscles of course you have to do strenght as well. I depends on what bodyshape you want.:glasses:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I call bull!

You know what people in fitness industry call you? stupid.

Reason being? Muscle bulk is from fast and slow twitch fibre, you will lose some depending on your training.

But I challenge you this. Find a professional racer cycling/triathlon or running, that has smaller muscles than your tiny legs. I swear to god, if I was near your ignorant pompous face I'd smash it in for giving these people bad advice!

Weight training has it's place, yes.

But I wonder why professional cyclists have bigger muscles on their legs than some bodybuilders, why the worlds strongest men are almost always considered FAT! Oh yea, they don't do cardio.

As for bodybuilders? You do realize they do cardio right? Just not more than 30m a session as that is when catabolism of muscles start.

But they increase cardio, and decrease weights to shed their weight for competitions... Notice pattern? Even professional bodybuilders run you idiot... And the only way to get rid of fat around organs, tissue and the heart is from cardio... Ask your cardiologist next time you take a visit to hospital...

Call bull on what

713-why-u-mad-thou.jpg
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    ""you will keep some most of your muscle yes, but you would have kept more had you done strength training all along""

I compared my stats over the 5 years of my "weight loss journey"/getting my *kitten* in gear and got healthy time - and I lost a total of 50lbs - BUT lost 59 lbs of fat mass and GAINED 9lbs of lean muscle...I did resistance training, with "barbie weights" up to 10lbs, ate a diet high in protein but with more than enough carbs, ran a lot, and never did any heavy lifting....

My calorie deficit was never extreme, I like food too much...I lost the weight EXTREMELY slow - average around 1.5 to 2 lbs a MONTH...

I not only kept my muscles, but actually gained some and are definitely stronger....
    I know there is a "study" to prove and disprove everything, but in my case I just need to know that it worked for me....
    I was worried about the idea of discouraging people to do cardio, but it seems like people can actually still think for themselves!:drinker: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I call bull!

Reason being? Muscle bulk is from fast and slow twitch fibre, you will lose some depending on your training.

But I challenge you this. Find a professional racer cycling/triathlon or running, that has smaller muscles than your tiny legs. I swear to god, if I was near your ignorant pompous face I'd smash it in for giving these people bad advice!

But I wonder why professional cyclists have bigger muscles on their legs than some bodybuilders, why the worlds strongest men are almost always considered FAT! Oh yea, they don't do cardio.

As for bodybuilders? You do realize they do cardio right? Just not more than 30m a session as that is when catabolism of muscles start.

But they increase cardio, and decrease weights to shed their weight for competitions... Notice pattern? Even professional bodybuilders run you idiot... And the only way to get rid of fat around organs, tissue and the heart is from cardio... Ask your cardiologist next time you take a visit to hospital...

You deserve a broscar.jpg
  • andreanicole686
    Options
    Cardio isn't bad. You just should add in strength as well. There is plenty of evidence that says you should do cardio at least 3-5 times a week about 30-45 minutes and I will continue to do that. Each persons body is different do whats best for you. I've lost 9 pounds so far due to manily cardio and eating right. I am just now adding in weights. EVERY BODY is different.

Actually all of our bodies (genetics) are very very similar with only slight differences. Cadio is a good calorie burned, which allows you to eat more and lose the same amount of weight as if you did no cardio.

Men and women are going to tone differently with cardio. I know people who do cardio only and are losing weight quickly and others who aren't. It also has to do with what type of food you are eating, your body shape and your genetics.
  • andreanicole686
    Options
    I call bull!

love this!
  • erickirb
    Options
    I call bull!

Body builders do very little cardio, and what they do is to keep their endurance and maintain a strong heart, not for weight loss, other then when cutting for competition, but they end up lose dozens of pounds of lean muscle in the process and that is with taking performance enhancing drugs, natural body builders either cut slower or lose even more lean muscle. And most cyclists and long distance runners have chicken legs, as it is much easier to move a lighter frame around for the amount of time they do. And the ones that have bigger legs some is genetic, and they also cross train with weights.
  • foxydell
    foxydell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best bet for overall health is a balance: strength training, cardiovascular training, and stretching. I try to work in all three every week, with cardio being the most frequent. What's great, though, is combining strength and cardio together doing some Interval Training drills. It's killer and gives the benefits of both! :happy:
  • erickirb
    Options

Men and women are going to tone differently with cardio. I know people who do cardio only and are losing weight quickly and others who aren't. It also has to do with what type of food you are eating, your body shape and your genetics.

Most of the difference comes down to lifestyle (sedentary or active and diet) deit plays about an 80% role in weight loss, 10% genetics, 10% exercise
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is better for losing weight but once you get close to goal, it doesn't have the same benefits and I am finally seeing that I need to do more strength training. Cardio alone is not going to reveal abs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What is skinny fat?

Skinny weight wise, but still high percentage of fat.

When your diet/exercise combo burns off too much muscle along with the fat.

Which usually happens from too much dieting (bad diet and/or too few calories). A healthy diet and cardio (aerobic) exercise does not = skinny fat.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Well, skinny fat on cardio? I'm sorry, seen any ultra distance runners? Do they have any fat on them? No.. in general they t 3-7% body fat range, whilst most of those on here are sometimes 8-10 TIMES that amount... And those that have reached goals on here? I'd reckon most still fall between 11-15% body fat at LEAST!

marathoner_sprinter2.jpg

Here is your ultra marathoner vs. a sprinter
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I call bull!

WOW....calm down pal - your heart might be strong, but watch the blood pressure.....:sad: :yawn:
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think that worrying about it, you should just do you, seeing as how it works for you. For those that is does not work for, then they may tend to bad mouth it either out of lack of knowledge or sheer frustration. But at the end of the day, the choice is yours, and you need to take control of your workout, so if it is workout, dont worry about what others are saying. This is one of the reasons I pretty much stay out of the general forums and keep reading to that within my groups.