weight lifting???

Options
13»

Replies

• shrinkinglily
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration, all. I just planned out some beginners dumbbell workouts that I am looking forward to trying. I love these boards because other people ask the questions that I am wondering too!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Try exercises like bicep curls, shoulder extensions, dead lifts, hammer curls, etc. all with 5lbs dumbells do 3 sets of 10 and if you are not experiencing muscle fatique after that, move up to the 8lbs. Thats what I have by bootcampers do.

Exactly how weak are you to begin with? I mean, seriously? A gallon of milk weighs about 7-8 lbs. can you pick that up easily and move it around? If so, it's not a challenging weight to work with.

Heavy compound iifts are the best way to build strength and stimulate rapid muscle synthesis. I would recommend checking online for any Mark Rippetoe video on form. Start trying squats right away. It's almost certainly the best weight lifting movement overall that there is. You can start out with a naked bar at 45 lbs, or if that is too heavy, try dumbbell squats with lighter weights or goblet squats (definitions for all of these can be found all over)

You want to warm up nicely with just a few minutes of light cardio to get your blood pumping, then do some light muscle-specific warm-up work. If you're starting with incredibly light weight, this may not really be possible, so just stretch. If there's a body weight movement you can do that applies to the lift, use that to begin with (eg-bodyweight squats to warm up for barbell or goblet squats).

Find a weight that you can lift with good form 5-7 times. That's where you want to be. When you can make 4-5 sets of 5-7 reps at that weight, it's probably time to add more weight.

Good luck!
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try exercises like bicep curls, shoulder extensions, dead lifts, hammer curls, etc. all with 5lbs dumbells do 3 sets of 10 and if you are not experiencing muscle fatique after that, move up to the 8lbs. Thats what I have by bootcampers do.

Exactly how weak are you to begin with? I mean, seriously? A gallon of milk weighs about 7-8 lbs. can you pick that up easily and move it around? If so, it's not a challenging weight to work with.

8lbs for a woman is a good size weight to test your strength and endurance. If you want to increase your strength go up in weights and reduce your reps if you want to increase your endurance increase the reps but don't choose really heavy weight. Also if you are new to strength training it is SAFER to lift lighter weights until you develop proper form and technique, so that when you do choose to lift heavier weights you don't injure yourself or possibly anyone else. I can guarantee everyone on MFP will agree with me that proper form and technique are the number one important thing to any exercise.
  • TrainersRoom
    Options
    If you want to work on toning up and gaining muscle strength, then rest your muscles and don’t overdo it. All weight workouts should be kept fairly short because after an extended period of time your body begins to create a stress response. It is also important to take time off between muscle workouts in order to allow your muscles to rest and recharge.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    what i suggest u do is start with light weights, or even very light depending on how u feel
    workin out w/ weights (adding to your own body weight works your muscles even more)
    if you focus on light weights what you'd be doing is toning your muscles, shaping them up and increasing stamina, without adding lots of volume, and of course heavy weights add mass, and power

so yes start with light/very light weights and help your body tone up and shape up as u wish it to be as u lose the weight you're aiming at

as for the scale...since you're dieting and watching what u eat and also doing cardio...you'd be burning the fat...and in certain areas building muscle instead...light muscles weigh less than fat

gd luck w/ it all ^^

Not being rude, but ew....don't do that type of "strength training". Please don't go to the gym and pick up 3 lb dumbbells.

Get in there and push yourself with some heavy weight.

I most definitely sweat when I lift!

I'm in agreence. Can't "tone" muscles! You also won't build muscle with light weights or while being in a calorie deficit.

To OP:
    FInd a person to teach you proper form(like a trainer) and then lift as heavy as you can.

I'm just staring barbell lifting and I love it.. I look better then I ever have!