Any advice for a plateau?

Hi all, I've been doing lite n easy since October 2011 and have lost 8-9kgs just from eating. I was on the 1200 cal meal plan and the weight was dropping off week by week either 500grams to kilo. Now I've been on a plateau since Feb. I haven't gained or lost any weight. I'm meant to go up to 1500 cals now because of my activity level, which I will be doing, but it's a real demotivator when I'm eating healthy and doing at least 30mins of exercise a day and nothings changing.. Any advice to get it started again, I currently weight 79kgs and have been that since Feb.. so just want to see that scale drop to 78kgs already!

Replies

• ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    First question would be:

Have you done anything different since one month before your plateau?
    Stopped logging as accurately as you had?
    Changed percentages fat/protein/carbs?
    Exercise?
  • biff54928
    biff54928 Posts: 35
    have you changed up your exercise? Or change eatting habits? when I change mine I get through my plateau
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Google TDEE calculator and get your results making sure you include your exercise efforts each day.... That should tell you how much to really be eating. I stalled for 7 months eating 1300 plus exercise cals based on MFP's recommendation. When I read up on TDEE and bumped it to 1800 cals per day plus exercise cals I dropped a pant size, many inches (though the scale is static as I've been gaining muscle).

Good luck!
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    I had to up my calories to 1800+ for 2 weeks until my body decided to get out of plateau mode. lol And I mixed up my workout routine a little bit.
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Google TDEE calculator and get your results making sure you include your exercise efforts each day.... That should tell you how much to really be eating. I stalled for 7 months eating 1300 plus exercise cals based on MFP's recommendation. When I read up on TDEE and bumped it to 1800 cals per day plus exercise cals I dropped a pant size, many inches (though the scale is static as I've been gaining muscle).

Good luck!

Yes, THIS! I wasn't eating enough!
  • I know that when I hit a plateau, my Curves coach advises me to eat MORE. sounds like your metabolism has stalled on you. get some good fuel in you and get moving. you'll break through!
  • Nhh2012
    Nhh2012 Posts: 21 Member
    On biggest loser bob suggested doing the exercises you normally do backwards. Walk on trdmill backwards instead of forward.....etc.
  • madhusky
    madhusky Posts: 14 Member
    Hi all, I've been doing lite n easy since October 2011 and have lost 8-9kgs just from eating. I was on the 1200 cal meal plan and the weight was dropping off week by week either 500grams to kilo. Now I've been on a plateau since Feb. I haven't gained or lost any weight. I'm meant to go up to 1500 cals now because of my activity level, which I will be doing, but it's a real demotivator when I'm eating healthy and doing at least 30mins of exercise a day and nothings changing.. Any advice to get it started again, I currently weight 79kgs and have been that since Feb.. so just want to see that scale drop to 78kgs already!

there is a really good blog on the plateau on here somewhere i found it ages ago - basically it says don't get down about it and embrace it.
    your body has gone through dramatic changes and needs some catch up time , embrace the plateau! your mind works quicker than your body so is expecting more from it, which isn't going to happen. making slight alterations to your plan, changing an activity etc is the way forward, i have had several plateaus and on each one i just tweak my plan, but only a bit. such as changing the time i go for a walk or swapping lunch for dinner. the longest i spent on one weight was 3 weeks. & then i learnt not to weigh myself for a while, it worked a treat and i was back on track. good luck !
    (i'm at the 77kg mark and am waiting patiently to drop to 76 ;))
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    bumping to read later. I haven't dropped any weight in over a month! :(
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    BUMP
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    I didn't believe it when people said to increase your calories, but once I increased from 1200 to 1400, I lost 3 inches in one week. Completely broke through that plateau right away. :)
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member

Good luck!

How does the TDEE calculator work? It calculated 2463.. that CAN'T be calories!!! Seriously?
  • sazroy
    Well all,
    I've ordered my lite n easy for next week and gone up to the 1500cal menu REALLY hoping this works! It sucks as it's not only frustrating when you stop losing but you also being to fear that the weight will find it's way back to you again!
  • sazroy
    Just to ask as well, I'm concerned am I eating the right amount if calories??
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    I didn't believe it when people said to increase your calories, but once I increased from 1200 to 1400, I lost 3 inches in one week. Completely broke through that plateau right away. :)

^^ THIS ^^

I lost 25 pounds rather easily eating around 1200 cals and working out 2 time a week, then plateaued for almost 2 months. In the last 3 weeks I've upped my calories to about 1500 and have lost 2 pounds in the last 1-2 weeks. And I feel better :)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member

Good luck!

So....using a google calculator
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    I put in my info...I chose "light exercise", I work a desk job but I do walk to and from work every day which is about an hour total. (Should I have chosen little to no??) It gave me 1858, so....does that mean I should up my calories to 1800 or so? And if I do that, do I eat back exercise calories when I do Jillian DVDs or no? Currently MFP is set at 1320 to lose 0.5lbs a week, but i'm not losing ANYTHING, haven't since December. I was trying to read through the threads about this last night but it was like information overload for me!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Eat more.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    This blog post was very informative on plateaus: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

I would also search the forums because this is a very popular topic. Hope you can dig through to find the good info.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Eat more.

lol every one says that, but that's what got us here in the first place, so we have to figure out how MUCH more to eat, it's a scary thing!