Any advice for a plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    On biggest loser bob suggested doing the exercises you normally do backwards. Walk on trdmill backwards instead of forward.....etc.
    Lol, I do believe what he means is "reverse order" and not literally backwards.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    First thing to change is your activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    So....using a google calculator
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    I put in my info...I chose "light exercise", I work a desk job but I do walk to and from work every day which is about an hour total. (Should I have chosen little to no??) It gave me 1858, so....does that mean I should up my calories to 1800 or so? And if I do that, do I eat back exercise calories when I do Jillian DVDs or no? Currently MFP is set at 1320 to lose 0.5lbs a week, but i'm not losing ANYTHING, haven't since December. I was trying to read through the threads about this last night but it was like information overload for me!

Personally, if I was in this situation, because you work at a desk job, I'd choose sedentary, and then count your walk back and forth to work as exercise. And the DVD's etc and eat back those calories.

If you choose a higher activity level, then you have to decide what activity you can add or can't add, what calories to eat, and which ones not to eat as they are already included in your TDEE.

Or you could choose to include your DVD's, walking etc into your TDEE by choosing highly active or whatever the option is and then not eating back any of your exercise calories. (They've already been included in your base calories)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Surprize your body. Exercise at a different time of the day. Change your routine. Eat low cal, then have a higher cal day. Up your treadmill by 0.1 km/hr, if you have been doing a rolling hills program, switch to intervals. Add 10 min to your 30 min routine.

If you keep your body guessing what is next, you'll start losing again.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    So....using a google calculator
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    I put in my info...I chose "light exercise", I work a desk job but I do walk to and from work every day which is about an hour total. (Should I have chosen little to no??) It gave me 1858, so....does that mean I should up my calories to 1800 or so? And if I do that, do I eat back exercise calories when I do Jillian DVDs or no? Currently MFP is set at 1320 to lose 0.5lbs a week, but i'm not losing ANYTHING, haven't since December. I was trying to read through the threads about this last night but it was like information overload for me!

Personally, if I was in this situation, because you work at a desk job, I'd choose sedentary, and then count your walk back and forth to work as exercise. And the DVD's etc and eat back those calories.

If you choose a higher activity level, then you have to decide what activity you can add or can't add, what calories to eat, and which ones not to eat as they are already included in your TDEE.

Or you could choose to include your DVD's, walking etc into your TDEE by choosing highly active or whatever the option is and then not eating back any of your exercise calories. (They've already been included in your base calories)

I changed it to sedentary and it gave me 1626, that sounds more reasonable. For now I have changed my MFP to my maintenance level (which is 1560) so i'll see how that goes for now. (I admit it, i'm scared to up it that much all at once lol)
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Go check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less. Lucia and some of the other ladies have written extensive posts about plateaus, and TDEE. Plus Kiki has a great post on upping calories and what your body does with it. Check it out might be very helpful for you.
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Well guys and gals, I've started my 1500 Cals yesterday (Thursday) and have just completed Day 5 of the 30DS, no weight change, yet to measure myself again. I shall keep you all posted, hopefully it'll work for me :)
  • catti41
    catti41 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Glad you've upped your calories. I'd try to eat back atleast half your exercise calories. I know what you mean about upping calories, its scary but works. I'm miserable on low calories anyway. Keep away from prepackaged sodium rich foods. Also I don't know what you did for the exercise level but I'd set as sedentary, and log extra exercise and eat half back. A hrm would probably be really got for you right now to get accurate numbers! Zara x
  • razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too have plateaued at the moment. I have lost 9 kilos since this time last year, am currently on 1340 calories a day going by mfp's suggestion and do cardio (gym classes and running) 4-6 times a week. I can't really do strength training due to injury, so should I try to just up my calories instead to try and kick start my metabolism? I wish I could do strength training, as I am near my goal weight, but would love to tone up - particularly my arms and stomach. It's unfortunate that injury prevents me. Maybe I could start with very light weights on the machines at my gym. It's such a scary thought to up calories whilst still trying to lose weight, but I suppose it makes sense.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Hey All!
    Last night I was a naughty little munchin and ate about 600cals of chocolate .. hehe..
    So that put me at about 2300ish cals when I'm meant to be around 1500 (for now).
    BUT instead of doing the typical "woe is I" moment I normally would do. I jumped on my exercise bike at about 12am and burnt 500cals in an hour.. about 45 minutes later I jumped back on to do the extra 100. Total cals burned yesterday were 211 with my 30DS as well.

Weighed myself this morning (I'm naughty and weigh daily, it's just what I do). FOUR HUNDRED GRAMS LOST!! I couldn't be happier. I've been sitting on or above 79.7kgs for over a month and have not been able to get it to drop to even 79.6kgs NOW it's 79.3kgs WOOP!!!
  • lupilou1880
    Options
    Increase your exercise to 45 min for 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks increase to 60 minutes. Or do your 30 minute workout add upper body one day and the next day do 30 minutes then add lower body workouts. Mix it up. Do analyze your carb and fat intake this could be holding you back.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hey All!
    Last night I was a naughty little munchin and ate about 600cals of chocolate .. hehe..
    So that put me at about 2300ish cals when I'm meant to be around 1500 (for now).
    BUT instead of doing the typical "woe is I" moment I normally would do. I jumped on my exercise bike at about 12am and burnt 500cals in an hour.. about 45 minutes later I jumped back on to do the extra 100. Total cals burned yesterday were 211 with my 30DS as well.

Weighed myself this morning (I'm naughty and weigh daily, it's just what I do). FOUR HUNDRED GRAMS LOST!! I couldn't be happier. I've been sitting on or above 79.7kgs for over a month and have not been able to get it to drop to even 79.6kgs NOW it's 79.3kgs WOOP!!!

Excellent news ! Your plan is working !
  • sazroy
    Options
    Hey All!

Excellent news ! Your plan is working !

Wow it's actually dropping off now.

Friday 79.7kgs
    Saturday 79.3kgs
    Today 78.7kgs!!!

I've lost a kilo since in two days!