Eat pasta before or after evening jog?

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever suits, but if you're starving beforehand and can't run on a full stomach, have a snack before and your pasta afterwards. I've been known to eat a bit of my pasta, run, heat it back up and eat it!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    During, to fuel your run while your running

this made for an enjoyable visual

I know, right. I can picture some chic running down the road with a plate of pasta and a fork.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    oh now I just want pasta and pesto. General rule is it's best not to eat a big meal 2 hours before working out.
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    During, to fuel your run while your running

Yes, eat it during! I am sorry, that is just too funny.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bump! Some good info in here :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would eat it after. The motion of running tends to massage my intestines in a way that increases "digestive activity." I'll let you guess what I mean by that, but lets suffice it to say that running after dinner would not be pretty (for me).
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you are going to be jogging. I assume you will be doing about 3 miles. I'd eat after. If you are running a half marathon, eat before.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack before the jog and your meal after the jog. Make sure you have protien with the pasta, your body needs the protien to feed the muscels after the jog.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Oh and generally......don't eat RIGHT before you eat.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I got like this to begin with.........................:bigsmile:
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    Has anyone ever seen the episode of The Office where Michael eats a full containter of Fettucine Alfredo right before the 5K for Rabies. This thread made me think of it. Lol.

I would eat whenever you prefer. I know that I can't eat before I run, it makes me cramp up, so I will usually run, then eat supper. Or if I do eat, I usually wait at least a good 2 hours afterwards to run.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I would have a light snack - a granola bar and some almonds, or a yoghurt, before my run, then dinner after.

I'm always starving after I exercise, but if I exercise on a full tummy, I often feel sluggish and quite nauseated.
  • angelaspaid70
    Options
    Hey. You werent clear about your goal. If ypu want a better run and ur carb loading w pasta-- eat few hours before at very least. If you are calorie counting only -- it doesnt matter. Seriously most people have a better workout abd therefore burn more calories with fueled musles. The increaaed metabolic rate post run lasts several hours also and its directly proportionate to the intenity of workout.
    Exercise Physiologist PSU
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    How about whenever you are hungry for it? ;)

I've never really followed the carbs before/protein after (not that I think it's wrong, just never cared as much), so I would eat either way... BUT as everyone else has mentioned DO NOT eat *right* before working out... I make sure the last thing I eat is at least an hour before or I feel sick and disgusting while running :( I've also noticed that how much time you need for the food to digest enough to not feel like crap tends to be different for everyone, so this is something you may need to figure out for yourself. My bf can eat something half hour before exercising and be fine, but my sis needs to wait a couple hrs or she'll hurl.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Oh and generally......don't eat RIGHT before you eat.

Darn. That's why I got fat lol lol lol
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Eat your pasta before as its a carb that will give you energy but wait 1 hour to go on your jog. Light snack after may be needed though if you're still hungry so make sure you have something low cal lined up if you do.