Calories Burned Driving

Options
12346»

Replies

• I wouldn't bother counting that as a workout. I'm sorry but like other people have said on this post It's just like you putting Watching Tv as exercise.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I suggest if your activity level is set to sedentary, then driving is out of the normal and ok to log.

I disagree, I drive for up to 8 hours a day, so thats 8 hours of sitting on my backside being slightly stressed from time to time. Wearing a chest strap HRM on the way to a workout once showed my heart rate as about as low as I have ever seen it when I am relaxed and driving.

So driving is a cause of a sedentary lifestyle not an exercise within a sedentary lifestyle

Edited to say and therefore should not be logged
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from logging it it's not reallllly active is it?
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I sit at my desk typing and using my brain for about 8hrs a day, there must be calories there for me to record surely ???
  • sel2504
    sel2504 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered that the size of truckers bellies could be due to the fact that they don't have much choice when it comes to eating healthy. I am a truck driver and I just recently started watching my calorie intake and I never realized how much crap there is at truck stops. Even the meals that you would think are healthy are still 700 to 1000 calories. Since I have started watching my calories I have lost almost 20 lbs since the beginning of the year (thanks largely to the fact that I have a fridge in my truck and can keep healthier food) and I do not excersise at all. Maybe my metabolism is high or maybe it's because I am DRIVING 11 hours a day.

This ^ I used to drive 5 hours a day for work and used an HRM to see if I was actually burning calories consdering I'm bombing up and down the motorway trying to control a heavy machine. Turns out I was burning 400 calories a day and I'd set my profile to sedentary. I didn't log it but even after doing a "proper" workout at the end of the day, I used to go over my calories by about 200-250 a day and still lost weight so didn't do me any harm. Everyone's different and the OP should do what they want to do. The worst that can happen is you log it and don't lose as much weight this week and then you know not to log it again.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    That's the most hilarious thing I've seen on this site.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Ah, MFP in January is always hilarious.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    in my opinion no because driving isn't exercise unless your fred flinstone and using your feet

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wouldn't log it, there is no way anyone burns 420 calories from driving 2.5 hours, just by moving your arms and feet. I call bullsh*&t on that google page I'm afraid. By logging it you will throw out your figures.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered that the size of truckers bellies could be due to the fact that they don't have much choice when it comes to eating healthy. I am a truck driver and I just recently started watching my calorie intake and I never realized how much crap there is at truck stops. Even the meals that you would think are healthy are still 700 to 1000 calories. Since I have started watching my calories I have lost almost 20 lbs since the beginning of the year (thanks largely to the fact that I have a fridge in my truck and can keep healthier food) and I do not excersise at all. Maybe my metabolism is high or maybe it's because I am DRIVING 11 hours a day.

This ^ I used to drive 5 hours a day for work and used an HRM to see if I was actually burning calories consdering I'm bombing up and down the motorway trying to control a heavy machine. Turns out I was burning 400 calories a day and I'd set my profile to sedentary. I didn't log it but even after doing a "proper" workout at the end of the day, I used to go over my calories by about 200-250 a day and still lost weight so didn't do me any harm. Everyone's different and the OP should do what they want to do. The worst that can happen is you log it and don't lose as much weight this week and then you know not to log it again.

Did you wear your heart rate monitor on a non-driving day when you were sat around? I bet you burnt about the same number of calories in the 5 hours just by fidgeting on the sofa.

Sorry, for me I say don't log it or your figures will be worthless.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Isn't this how you lot all drive to work? http://youtu.be/5Z0jIltDIkE
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Isn't this how you lot all drive to work? http://youtu.be/5Z0jIltDIkE

Well right up to the point where I get stuck behind the tractor, wonder how many extra calories ranting and raving burn :laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ah, MFP in January is always hilarious.

Aaahhh yes.................this thread comes back EVERY year!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In the next few days I have to do a far amount of driving, should I enter this in the system? I googled it, and I would burn around 420 calories on my 2.5 hr drive (which I have to do both thursday and friday).

That is part of your BMR. Don't log it as exercise.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I just drove 13 Hours j am counting that.. I did it when I should gave been sleeping

No.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In the next few days I have to do a far amount of driving, should I enter this in the system? I googled it, and I would burn around 420 calories on my 2.5 hr drive (which I have to do both thursday and friday).

That is part of your BMR. Don't log it as exercise.

Not quite, it is part of NEAT (Non Exercise Activity) which is would be included in your maintenance cals as it is between BMR and maintenance cals.
  • HawksMissus81
    Options
    i agree ... normal driving on normal roads shouldn't be counted. But as someone says if it is an abnormal drive on winding roads i would count half of the time spent. for example i would log the one hour drive as 30 mins
  • mike1622
    mike1622 Posts: 1
    Options
    Go to health status.com and it will calculate drive time and calories burned. And yes you even burn calories when you sleep. If you track your sleep it usually shows about 17- 20 calories per hr.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Gross vs net calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Go to health status.com and it will calculate drive time and calories burned. And yes you even burn calories when you sleep. If you track your sleep it usually shows about 17- 20 calories per hr.

20 cals per hour sleeping comes out to about 480 for BMR .... a laughably low total.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My Dad used to put cruise control on and run between mile markers... I see that being more of an exercise than just plain driving. If you won't be able to fit in a workout I say maybe do some running in place while driving see how long you can do it. If you stop at a rest stop or for gas get out and do some walking, jumping jacks, squats, pushups just something to get your HR up and you moving around a bit.