Gone to far? Cleaning?

Options

Replies

• Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Washing down walls, doors, cupboards, etc needs to be done every once in awhile or else everything would get dusty or sticky. I wouldn't say it had to be done all of the time but at least once a month. I think your step daughter was just trying to give you a hard time.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I wipe down my doors, and door handles, and door jambs every weekend, especially the restroom ones.

^^^^ this^^^^ maybe not once a week, but at least once a month on the doors..... and several times a week on the handles!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No, not weird. I clean mine a few times a year. I have six panel white ones and the little ledges of each panel get dusty plus not to mention black marks on the doors so take a magic eraser after them.

My mom used to more thorough than me cleaning. Think of the 80s kitchen table and chairs where the chairs were on wheels. My first date ever at the age of 16, he came to get me and meet the parents. My mom had the chairs all upside down cleaning the wheels out with a q-tip.

She also has to have clean and dirty laundry baskets and if you used the clean for dirty, she disinfects it.

I have some of her tendencies but not as extreme as her.
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, thanks for the head's up! I never knew that! *throws away the pledge*

What about lemon oil?
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    First off, that's rude of her...

Most 16-year-olds are rude. No news there.

And nope, I wipe down my doors.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :smile: My children say i have ocd ...because i straighten my bed with a broom handle :laugh: ... I just dont like creases in my covers .
    Yes i do clean my doors as they need it ...have lot of glass sliders .
    Lets just say ...we dont have domestic blindness . :wink:
    And it burns calories ..lol !
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to wipe down doors (for the record, I am not the type of person who's on top of cleaning!)

It's one of those things I do when I notice it needs to be done, which is probably too late...
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is weird at all. In fact I think most people have a little bit of OCD. I know I don't have it bad but I do get that unsettling feeling when things aren't done my way and aren't perfect.

For example, I have a makeup area in my room (it's a passion of mine and I have about 20 shoe boxes full of makeup) but I panic when someone moves something and it's not in it's exact right place so I can use it in the morning and put it back.

Another thing I like is to walk on the right hand side of people, if I'm ever on the left I feel wrong and I have to move, my friends are really nice about this one but if I'm walking with someone I don't know I feel a bit embarrassed about moving and try to stick it out and shake that feeling.

So I don't find cleaning doors strange....:) I hope it doesn't affect you too much, I know people can become overwhelmed by everything and it takes over.

x
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm not OCD but I do like things a certain way in my house. I have cushions on the couch that if someone sits on them and they get bent out of shape I twitch! They're only for decoration!!! My boyfriend will take them off the couch before sitting down and will always say "all hail the pillow!" he thinks I'm a weirdo!

I Hoover every day and I clean the inside doors all the time and I also clean the bannisters. It's not weird. I also won't touch buttons on traffic lights/ lifts or touch and handles or railings in public places because of my work. I'm a police officer and I've seen how dirty people are and it freaks me out!

I've been in some filthy dirty houses that even fleas wouldn't live in so that could be why I'm so freaky about my house. I'd be horrified if someone came to visit and the house was in bits. I know my house sounds spotless, but it's not, it's just clean and comfy and that's the way I want it!

So no, you're not weird by cleaning the doors
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I clean them.. they get dusty too.....especially where I live. They are building new houses all around me and there is quite a lot of dust...If you like things nice and tidy, then that's how you are. I also like things neat looking.. When my grandchildren comes, of course it is like a tornado but when they leave, it's nice and tidy again......
  • ElizBald
    ElizBald Posts: 20
    Options
    Are we talking about the whole door or just the area near the door knob . I guess I do the whole door maybe once a year; more if I see dust or cobwebs or something. The areas around the handles get done a lot more often. Love the Mr. Clean Magic pads for this.
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    Every fall and spring I do a week of cleaning. This includes walls, ceilings, floors, doors, cupboards, closets, nooks, crannies, etc...etc...etc... There is nothing wrong with cleanliness :-) You are not weird you are a Mom! That is what we are supposed to do.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    honestly. Mine need it badly. Tell her to think about it this way. Pets go outside and poop then chase a cat right through that poop so naturally they have it on their feet, then they run inside and jump on her bedroom door trying to get in. they touch the doornob and she gets up goes to the front room comes back and touches that doorknob. NOW she has poop germs all over her hands. Okay time to go disinfect my doors. shakes head. I hate it when I do that to myself. I am stress related OCD. My psychiatrist said I do a great job managing it when I dont get stressed but when I do, thats a problem because then I become very OCD and everythng has to be perfect.

Hubby gets made at me. When we get into a fight and i get stressed I have to have the house perfect (including cleaning carpets at 3 oclock in the morning) so I can go to bed. So yeah I understand. Now that being said. Have to go clean. I destroyed the house this morning rearranging. :laugh:
  • sarafyna
    sarafyna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if someone has already said this, but most likely anything you do is going to be "weird" to your step daughter. She's 16 and at that age where they believe they know everything and the adults in their life are just weird. Don't let her get to you. Heck, for all we know she may have been trying to get you to rethink yourself.

Now, as for wiping down doors... my dad was always working on engines when I was growing up so that meant greasy fingerprints ran rampant in our house so we were always cleaning doors at least once a week! I've slacked off a bit at my house and really just clean my doors when I notice they start to look a bit icky. I'm not a neat and tidy person but yet I can't stand fingerprints!!

Don't worry though, one day the tide will turn and the things you do won't be so weird to her anymore :)
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't wipe down my doors, but I'd like to invite you over to my house for a weekend.....
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I'm not OCD but I do like things a certain way in my house. I have cushions on the couch that if someone sits on them and they get bent out of shape I twitch! They're only for decoration!!! My boyfriend will take them off the couch before sitting down and will always say "all hail the pillow!" he thinks I'm a weirdo!

I Hoover every day and I clean the inside doors all the time and I also clean the bannisters. It's not weird. I also won't touch buttons on traffic lights/ lifts or touch and handles or railings in public places because of my work. I'm a police officer and I've seen how dirty people are and it freaks me out!

I've been in some filthy dirty houses that even fleas wouldn't live in so that could be why I'm so freaky about my house. I'd be horrified if someone came to visit and the house was in bits. I know my house sounds spotless, but it's not, it's just clean and comfy and that's the way I want it!

So no, you're not weird by cleaning the doors

I agree, I work at a hospital so I've seen nasty stuff to. I think maybe make your daughter sit down and watch a horders marathon. thats normally how I put myself in the mood to clean. When I watch those I end up wiping even the baseboards down.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ok, I do have OCD (really). I know it, I work on it and am getting better. Most of the time it's with things being straight or "feeling right". I don't know how to explain that part. Somedays I tie my shoes 20 times because they just don't feel right. It's sad & a little overwhelming. I clean alot, not because of germs so much as that I like things clean & tidy.

Here's where I want your honest opinion. Does anyone ever wipe down the doors on the inside of the house? Once a year or so? Serious? I have a 16 year old step-daughter and while I wasI was wiping them off tonight she said that I was wierd and that NO ONE wipes down their doors. I starting thinking about it and wondered.

Tell me the truth, I don't mind being the only one but am really curious. MFP is the only place I know to get honest, truthful answers to questions you wouldn't ask anyone else. There are so many interesting people with varying opinions.

Do you have any strange cleaning tendencies?

Odd subject I know...

I wipe down my doors and I do not have OCD when it comes to cleaning lol.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Ok, I do have OCD (really). I know it, I work on it and am getting better. Most of the time it's with things being straight or "feeling right". I don't know how to explain that part. Somedays I tie my shoes 20 times because they just don't feel right. It's sad & a little overwhelming. I clean alot, not because of germs so much as that I like things clean & tidy.

Here's where I want your honest opinion. Does anyone ever wipe down the doors on the inside of the house? Once a year or so? Serious? I have a 16 year old step-daughter and while I wasI was wiping them off tonight she said that I was wierd and that NO ONE wipes down their doors. I starting thinking about it and wondered.

Tell me the truth, I don't mind being the only one but am really curious. MFP is the only place I know to get honest, truthful answers to questions you wouldn't ask anyone else. There are so many interesting people with varying opinions.

Do you have any strange cleaning tendencies?

Odd subject I know...

I wipe them down every time they get dusty (which in Texas is more than once a year) and with a toddler, they get grimy too. So you definitely aren't the only one that cleans the doors inside the house.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    I wipe everything thats wipable as often as I can get around to doing it, I hate dust build up. and anyway my husband gets Asthma and dust irritates it,
    Im not OCD I just like things clean and tidy,
    I brought my kids up to be clean and tidy too, and wipe down walls, doors, clean windows, blinds, and so on. If you clean and wipe things as you can it saves a lot of really hard work if its left to build up.
    you know the old saying "a stitch in time saves nine"
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I dunno about the doors thing but I have some very stange tendencies, not sure they count as OCD though!

The volume on the TV, some people have to have it on an even number or a multiple of 5, etc. I have specific numbers, usually 5, 7, sometimes 8, 10, sometimes 12, sometimes 13, 15, 17, sometimes 18, 20, 22, 25, etc... it depends on how it feels (I totally understand "the feeling"!) It truly makes me feel sick if it's not on a number I can have!

Also, and this one has haunted me all my life, as long as I can remember. I have to have equality and balance. So say, my left hand touches something, I have to touch it with my right hand too. Even to the extremes, so if I actually hurt myself, maybe I cut my toe, I have to have the same sensation on the other foot, not necessarily cutting it, but just pressing it against something sharp so that I get the same sensation. My family think it's funny and tap me on the knee or something and wait, in hysterics, for me to touch my other knee... it's so upsetting because they don't understand (even though mum "claims" to have OCD!) Sometimes I spend hours in little whirlwinds because I can't get the same sensation right and I'm there, tapping both arms on different objects because it's not the same sensation, so then I've got to equal it back out and still try to get the original sensation! Does that make sense?

I'm not as bad with objects, but I do like to have things spaced equally (The coathangers spaced equally on the rail when I worked in a clothes store caused me some trouble as I spent too long tidying!)

Some days are worse than others... But I don't think it counts as OCD - maybe I just have a strong sense of balance (crazy, as I can't balance to save my life!)

:0)... Oh my, I do most of those things plus others. Nice to know that I am not the "wierdest" woman on earth