Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Food weight vs. volume: Eye openers!

2»

Replies

• psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    In Weight Watchers fruits and veg have no points - they are "free" foods & can be eaten freely, regardless of size - with a few exeptions like bananas and avocados.
    Wha?! That seems wacky to me.
    The free fruit and veggie is incorporated into to the points allowance. And it is not a free for all, it is free because it is assumed you will only eat the recommended daily allowance. When I did weight watchers only veggies was free, when they switched to free fruit alot of people actually started gaining weight because they saw it as a free for all.
    I did Slimming World for my first 2 stone (only quit because I moved country) and not only is fruit (fresh and not pureed) and veg free, so is pasta, potato, rice, lean meat and fish and a boat load of branded food. Sounds wacky but it works!!! I'm living proof :bigsmile:
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Cereal and cheese. A serving of cereal is miniscule! I either have that serving and bump it up with fruit or have 3 servings and try not to worry about it. Cheese seems to be one of those dense foods that weighs a lot given it's relatively small volume.
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    My food scale really helped me - I was over estimating, on EVERYTHING - when I weighed it out I couldn't believe it - I thought I'd be having 400g of strawberries and it was only 150g. I'm REALLY bad at estimating apparently :(
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    My lastest was cocoa powder. Not a high calorie item, but still. I figured my giant heaping teaspoons would equal a tablespoon. Lol! By weight it was SIX! Weigh everything you can unless you want to kid yourself! I use cup measurements in a pinch and eyeball measurements as a last resort like when my DH cooks or I go out to eat which is probably laughable!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    My food scale really helped me - I was over estimating, on EVERYTHING - when I weighed it out I couldn't believe it - I thought I'd be having 400g of strawberries and it was only 150g. I'm REALLY bad at estimating apparently :(

I did this too. Was very happy to find out I could eat more.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    This is like a huge coincidence, I don't like making pasta because I'm never sure how much I'm eating. I made 4 cups of raw noodles and then ate two bowls but I'm just not sure how much I really ate because the weight changes once it's cooked and I always make sea shells rather than spaghetti or macaroni.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Man, I love my food scale!

I have been pleasantly surprised by weighing. I can get a lot more of the frozen veggies, fruit and greek yogurt than I could with measuring cups.
    Meat was an eye opener. My hamburger patties from Costco are over 400 calories! (I still eat them of course :smile: )
    The gigantic Costco chicken breasts pack a punch, too.

I feel slightly OCD about the scale but I :heart: it.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    In Weight Watchers fruits and veg have no points - they are "free" foods & can be eaten freely, regardless of size - with a few exeptions like bananas and avocados.
    Wha?! That seems wacky to me.
    The free fruit and veggie is incorporated into to the points allowance. And it is not a free for all, it is free because it is assumed you will only eat the recommended daily allowance. When I did weight watchers only veggies was free, when they switched to free fruit alot of people actually started gaining weight because they saw it as a free for all.
    I did Slimming World for my first 2 stone (only quit because I moved country) and not only is fruit (fresh and not pureed) and veg free, so is pasta, potato, rice, lean meat and fish and a boat load of branded food. Sounds wacky but it works!!! I'm living proof :bigsmile:

I'm a little confused by this. Does that mean everything is free? How do u measure...do u measure?
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    I've been entering the 1/2 cup of strawberry halves, but boy can I pack a measuring cup with strawberries! If there was a Strawberry Tetris Championship I would win it.

LMAO.