Couch to Half Marathon... can it be done?

Options
Ok, I know everyone is going to immediately say "Yes" to that question so let me explain a bit more.

I am 24 years old and I currently weigh over 300lbs. Dieting has always been hard for me, but I love to exercise, but lack motivation for the most part. So I have gone years without doing much of it. I recently started going to the gym again and being serious about my weight loss and health journey. A thought occurred that a way to keep myself motivated would be to have a goal. Not a weight loss goal because those nearly always fail me and I don't want to go down that path again, but a fitness goal. I want to be able to enter and finish a half marathon by January. Any and all weight lost will be a bonus. A highly desired bonus, but I know if I fixate on it too much I will just give up.

So far I can walk 3 miles on the treadmill. I have a long way to go, and only 296 days to do it. Is it possible?

Replies

• sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I truly believe you can do this! It's gonna take some serious hard work and dedication, but you CAN do this!

14 months ago I was 323, now 199. My first workout lasted 3 minutes and I thought I literally may have a stroke. I kept working (slowly) from there and now I am fully capable of 3 hrs on the treadmill.

Just today I did 10 miles on the treadmill in 160 minutes. Most of that was walking, but I've done like 55 miles on the treadmill this week and MUCH of that was running so I knew I didn't have a 10 mile run in me today.

Anyways, all that to say, I believe I can reach my goal of a half marathon and I truly believe that YOU can as well!

Good luck!

Wanted to add that I've only had a treadmill for a couple of months...was doing alot off wii fit and walk away the pounds before that.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't know about 296 days. I weighed 265 when i started. It took me a little over a year. I didn't try too hard in the beginning though. Tomorrow I'm running my first half marathon.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don’t want to kill your motivation here, but I am going to recommend that you try a 5K race first.

Running while overweight or obese is very, very difficult. Here is my experience related to this context. I tried to run in May 2010 when was 261 pounds and it was very difficult. Had a knee injury two weeks later (not caused by running) and had to wait one year for the opportunity to start running.

It was still difficult to start running in May 2011 because I was starting from no running point, but at the same time it was a little easier because during the 12 months then I lost 55 pounds.

Exercise is not effective approach to weight loss. You have to change what you eat to lose weight.

BTW. I finished my half-marathon this morning.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started my walking/running at 355 and I have completed a half marathon (I weighed around 280 on race day). Running/walking has been my main exercise and I've done cardio only (and yoga). I think you can do it.

As mrk says, I do recommend a few shorter races, but you can work those into the training. If you can walk 3 miles, you can walk a 5K... and just keep doing what your doing.. start with walking and slowly build speed and distance.. trust me you will lose weight in the process!

Good luck!
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    You CAN do it! It's going to be a long journey. I'm sure you'll want to give up at times but make small goals to go for in the meantime. I have to say I started at 238 last year and didn't start exercising until I hit below 200. Last year the most I did was a 10K.

This year I started at 195 and my goal was to do 25 miles a week for the year. I started out pretty slow and actually was tough to get in 25. Now I can do almost 30 miles in a week by only running 3 times.

Like mrk34 I finished my first half-marathon this morning and signed up for another one in May. I saw lots of people walking but the time limit was 3.5 hours so you could shoot for that.

I also agree to start small with shooting for a 5K and then take it from there.

A little bit further, a little bit faster, it all adds up over time.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can do it - especially if you are just looking to finish. Personally, I think you have plenty of time to run a half marathon. Your weight will drop as you train. Just take it slow and definitely start off training for a 5K, get a few under your belt and start increasing your miles. There are plenty of training programs out there for beginners. If you are seriuos about acheiving your goal, you can definitely do it. Good luck!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yes... it's not just possible... it's VERY LIKELY! If you keep working you have more than enough time to not only walk it but to at least JOG the whole 13.1!!! You're already walking 3 miles... which is huge. You have 10 months to do this! That would mean you'd only need to add a mile a month!!! When I run I add 1-2 miles sometimes in a WEEK! I'm pulling for you! :bigsmile:
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you can do it!!! But you will have to be very disciplined. I ran my first half marathon after I had lost 100 lbs, but I started with some smaller races. The very first race that I ran after losing all my weight was a 10K and I thought I killed it! I was so excited that I wished I would have shot for the 1/2 to begin with. Shortly thereafter though, I suffered an injury due to overtraining:( So it took me another 8 months to be able to run my 1/2. I didnt do it in the time that I wanted, but I did it!! Since then I've fought several injuries, a few more 10Ks and 2 more 1/2s. Right now, I'm back at square one (walk/running about 10-12 miles a week) and am starting a training program for a 1/2 in November. It can be done!!!

Stick to your guns, dont let anyone get you down, definitely watch your diet and you'll get there. Nutrition is just as important to running as the actual training. Unfortunately it doesnt give you the right to eat whatever you want:( But you CAN do it!!!! and you will lose weight!! Set that site in your line as well!!! Best of luck... Add me if you'd like to help support one another!!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    HEY! I am training for a 5K at the end of April. I know Im gonna do it... I dont really care what other opinions are Im doing it want to do it with me? Add me :)
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    HEY! I am training for a 5K at the end of April. I know Im gonna do it... I dont really care what other opinions are Im doing it want to do it with me? Add me :)

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! That is a GREAT attitude!!!!
  • robmaguire1
    robmaguire1 Posts: 111
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT. But it has to be done in steps. Forget the Half Marathon for now. First goal should be to finish a 5k this summer, then a 10K this fall. By early next year, you will be doing a Half. That's what I did.

June 2011- weighed 250 pounds and never ran my whole life
    August 20th- Finished first 5k
    Sept/Oct- ran 6 additional 5k's
    November 13th- Finished first 10K
    January 7th- Finished first Half Marathon 2:16

Just registered for my first Full Marathon in October.

Have faith in yourself and Good luck!!!!!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    In June of 2010, I started running at about 280 pounds. In November of that same year, I ran my first half marathon - at about 210 pounds.
    You can do it, but as others have said, it's a lot of hard work. I would also agree with others that you should do some shorter races before then - you really don't want that to be your first race. By the time I had run my first half, I had also run 3 5K's, 2 10K's, 2 5-milers, and 2 10-milers. So, I was able to really build up to that half. I have since, run 3 full marathons and 8 half marathons.
    Good luck. Oh and make sure you get shoes that fit right. By the time you do your half, you'll most likely be on a second pair.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! That is a GREAT attitude!!!!

Thankss!! &&& I am NOT going to be carted away by ambulance!
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your answers and support.

I have been "dieting," ie watching what I eat and make healthy choices, well as doing my best to keep my net cals under what MFP has laid out for me. I know I am going to have to fuel my body properly if I am going to do this.

I do have smaller goals as well, I am entering a 5k on May 13 and (hopefully) a 10k on Sept 29, with some other races thrown here and there. I live in a pretty small city so I'm lucky to have access to the races that I do.

My biggest obstacle with the 5k (and running in general, really) is the speed. I have found running on a treadmill awkward to say the least. I think it is because of my weight, but whenever I get any real speed the belt will skid under me. I wish I felt confident enough to run outside other than when when I'm playing with my dogs. Maybe I will get some of that confidence after my first race.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I ditched c25k for a 10k plan. it goes from walking to 10k in 13 weeks. Slower progress than c25k, or so it would seem, but longer sessions. Check out "the beginning runner's handbook" at your local library if you're interested.
    There is also literature on marathons etc. but I agree with the others that smaller goals are better steps to get there... I just recommend this book because it starts really easy with 30 sec run, then 4min and 30 sec walk. Repeat 7 times.
    I also like running with just my HRM as guide for the intervals, but that can turn out a bit unstructured...
    The book also has pointers on shoes, stretching and nutrition. Nope I am not affiliated to it in any way :tongue: but I am OCD enough to need a plan for things...
    Good luck :smile:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I've never used a treadmill in my entire life. Running used to be hard enough, but without getting anywhere? No way!
    I like my dirt trails, but am thinking my current one may not be quite busy enough (it goes behind an industrial area, and I watch too many crime shows...)
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible.

And here is the BUT.

Def agree with the others with starting small.

Do c25k (couch to 5km) first. That's 9 weeks.
    When you can run 5km, then do bridge to 10km (b210k). That's 6 more weeks. (3 days of running)
    then do bridge to half marathon. Which I think is about 12 weeks (3 to 4 days of running)
    That alone will take up 6 months. And that's if you are doing it 3-4 days a week.

It will be hard work at your current weight, so best to also look at what you are eating too.

I'm planning to run a half marathon in october. Yes I could run the marathon (at the same event), but I'm also a single mum and have limited days where I can run (when I don't have kids).
    Running longer distances does take up time, so that is something that you also have to consider.
  • BJRW
    BJRW Posts: 7
    Options
    Last January I got off the couch and by the 3rd week in April I did a half marathon in 4 hrs 11 mins. I have kept training all year and on the 21 will run it again - I'm on track to finish in 3 hrs 30 mins or less.

YOU can totally do this :)
  • JillPoof
    JillPoof Posts: 3
    Options
    It is absolutely possible and I am proof!

In 2008 I completed the Nike Women's half marathon (and I'm wearing my finisher shirt right now!). One morning on the way to work I heard a commercial on the radio for Team in Training. The DJ's started talking about how they could do a half marathon if they wanted to. And I thought, "well, so could I! If I wanted to..." Here's the thing: I hate walking. No, I mean I REALLY hate walking, hiking, forget about running. So why I decided to do a half marathon is completely beyond me. Just to prove I could I guess. I was the same weight as you, had no previous training, and signed up for the half marathon.
    All I did to "train" over the next 5 months was walk nearly every day, adding a bit more mileage each week. I was more worried about raising the required amount of money for the cause than I was about being able to finish. I walked the whole dang thing. It took me 4 hours. But I did it because I knew I could.

So, absolutely, it can and has been done!
  • willismack2
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT. But it has to be done in steps. Forget the Half Marathon for now. First goal should be to finish a 5k this summer, then a 10K this fall. By early next year, you will be doing a Half. That's what I did.

This is a good approach. Break your goal of a Half Marathon into smaller achievable goals. This will provide good motivation as you progress in training. You will be encouraged by your accomplishments along the way and also have fun at the events!