Dear Dad

Dear Dad,

You died 2 years ago today and I miss you. You were loving, judged people by their character, laughed often, were really smart, and wickedly funny. With these things, I am trying to follow in your footsteps.

But Dad, you gave up in your 40's. You stopped eating right, exercising, and had a sedintary lifestyle. You died young. I'm in my 40s and had a physical and I was becoming you. I joined MFP, you would like it, it has so many great and funny people. I listed your life as my inspiration to get better. I wont be following your footsteps with this.

Every time I don't want to go to the gym- I remember how you couldn't walk up stairs and I go workout.
Every time I don't want to eat right- I remember how large and uncomfortable you were in your own skin and I eat healthy
Every time I want to sit around and do nothing- I remember all the events and people you missed and I go live life.

The greatest and worst gift you ever gave me was showing me what my life would be if I didnt change. I have become a healthier person, I'm sure you would be proud.

I miss you dearly,
your son

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Well, I'm crying. But I needed to read this. Thank you.
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 119 Member
    Thank you for sharing
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    I'm sure wherever he is- he's very proud!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    wow....thanks for sharing!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 718 Member
    Joe that was very nice
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    :heart:
  • btmadison
    btmadison Posts: 38 Member
    My dad died a year ago - i could almost say the same thing you said. Thanks for putting in words what i have been feeling also!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    I'm tearing up... this hit a little too close to home. Reminds me of my dad, who seems to be heading in that direction :( I want so badly to be an inspiration for him...
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    I could have written the same letter to my mom who died 15 months ago. Thank you for sharing it with us. I think our parents would want something good to come of their early passing.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Thank you for sharing. *hug*
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    You're a very brave man for sharing that sir. I'm sure your father is proud of you
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 350 Member
    Thank you for sharing. This is beautiful.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    :)
  • AmyManley
    AmyManley Posts: 1 Member
    Amazing letter to your Dad. I lost my husband at 46 just over a year ago. He and I were working on changing our lives. However it was too little too late. He died of a heart attack walking home from the gym. I miss him everyday. He and I started oru weight loss journey together 3 years ago and since then I have lost 130 pounds but am finding myself sliding back into old bad habits so I'm back on MFP to regain my strength and dertimination because my husband would have wanted me to keep going. I'm back and I'm ready to lose the next 40 lbs.
  • Monti_e_lmt
    Monti_e_lmt Posts: 189 Member
    Dear Dad,

You died 2 years ago today and I miss you. You were loving, judged people by their character, laughed often, were really smart, and wickedly funny. With these things, I am trying to follow in your footsteps.

But Dad, you gave up in your 40's. You stopped eating right, exercising, and had a sedintary lifestyle. You died young. I'm in my 40s and had a physical and I was becoming you. I joined MFP, you would like it, it has so many great and funny people. I listed your life as my inspiration to get better. I wont be following your footsteps with this.

Every time I don't want to go to the gym- I remember how you couldn't walk up stairs and I go workout.
    Every time I don't want to eat right- I remember how large and uncomfortable you were in your own skin and I eat healthy
    Every time I want to sit around and do nothing- I remember all the events and people you missed and I go live life.

The greatest and worst gift you ever gave me was showing me what my life would be if I didnt change. I have become a healthier person, I'm sure you would be proud.

I miss you dearly,
    your son

:sad: I can sympathise. My Daddy left this earth at age 41. He is one of my inspirations because he was a diabetic, and I saw what he went through. Unfortunately, he did not do it to himself. He was a tiny 10 year old boy thin as a rail when he was diagnosed. I miss him so much. The 21st would have been his 50th birthday. I want to make him proud by becoming healthy and avoiding diabetes. He would have wanted that for me. He was type 1 and I had to give him his shots, as a small child that is a heavy lesson to carry with me. Mom is now a type 2. She is only a little overweight, and it was a shock because she is not a sweet eater. She thinks that she got it from a blood tranfusion, it has never been proven but it does make sense because she wasn't diabetic before she received 2 units of blood and now she is. And the thing is that type 2 diabetes means your enzymes don't cooperate with the insulin your pancreas secretes, your pancreas is working but your blood doesn't break it down and metabolize it to regulate blood glucose levels. I don't know but either way, both parents had/have it and I don't want it. I can't stand to be pricked in the finger, I know the new machines test the arm but I still want to avoid diabetes at all costs. So in short, my Daddy is my inspiration too, I want to wear his coats, he was so tiny, I need to make it to at least a size 10 to fit in them. My Mommy is and inspiration too, Since she was diagnosed she has been strict with her diet and is regulating it with her diet and natural supplements. I am very proud of her. I need to follow her example. I eat sweets still and I am considered morbidly obese according to my Wii Fit. I am trying to change that. So here :drinker: is to your Daddy and may his memory live on in you forever. I know he is proud. :smooched:
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Thanks for sharing this with us my friend.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 926 Member
    thank you all for the kind words. My sincere condolences to your loss as well.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    you got me crying too. That is such a wonderful letter, straight from the heart. I am so sorry for your loss. What an inspiration for you and he would be incredibly proud! Thank you for being my friend and offering me such great encouragement daily!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Okay, I am in tears right now :cry:. This is straight from your heart and is almost exactly what I would say to my grandmother. May your father's memory forever live in your heart. A toast to your father and to you :drinker:
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Simply beautiful and very well said. I made lifestyle changes also as a result of my dad's lifestyle. I am sure that he is proud of my changes, also.