In place of a road map!

Options

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm still confused how to figure any of this out.
    Can someone please explain this in VERY SIMPLE TERMS without 2 paragraphs of explanation?

My question is, what EXACTLY do we need to do to determine how many calories we should eat on a daily basis?
    (I understand it gives the chart based on activity level, so lets forget about activity level right now). How do we get an accurate chart of exactly how many calories we should eat in order to consistently lose weight?
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • LisaR517
    LisaR517 Posts: 80
    Options
    subbing to this one!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm still confused how to figure any of this out.
    Can someone please explain this in VERY SIMPLE TERMS without 2 paragraphs of explanation?

My question is, what EXACTLY do we need to do to determine how many calories we should eat on a daily basis?
    (I understand it gives the chart based on activity level, so lets forget about activity level right now). How do we get an accurate chart of exactly how many calories we should eat in order to consistently lose weight?

You cannot forget about the activity level. You are probably over-thinking this. I think you may not have availed yourself of the reading on the results page, actually read that info to understand what is happening.

1 - visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    2 - Do the Military Body Fat Calc first
    3 - then the BMR tool.
    3.5 - read the paragraphs under the big bold section heading "How much Calories Should I Eat". If you don't see this, you are doing something very wrong.
    4 - The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis for the correct activity level that is picked - exercise is obviously included as you can tell from the descriptions. Which of course means you do NOT eat back exercise calories with this system.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for a week and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

My military body fat is 24.9%
    Katch Mcardle BMR = 1293
    Moderately active on chart = 1916 cal.
    TDEE = 1916 x 1.20 = 2299

Ok, so I should not eat below my BMR of 1293 and not go above 2299. Did I do this correctly? That's a huge range!

I just found the place in MFP where I can manually set my goals. Do I put anything in for exercise since it's included in these numbers? I would like to know what numbers to use and where they should go. Also, if I go this route vs. MFP, do I stop entering my exercise?

Thanks!!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you for all of this information. As a yo-yo ever since I can remember, the info. on the Fat 2 Fit site makes sense to me. The numbers also make sense. I had been using MFP's calculations, but usually eating back my exercise calories. That being said, I found that some of my losses were right after having a "bad" (over calorie) day and had started questioning whether or not MFP's calorie level was too low for me. I think I'm going to try this. According to this, if I'm lightly active I should have 2101 calories a day. I'm working on ramping up my exercise routine, so I will likely be switching to moderately active soon, but I admit that scares me because 2368 (the moderate activity calorie level) sounds like so much. But in theory it all makes perfect sense. I know that there's been many days with MFP's numbers that my net was under 1352 (which is my BMR number). Since I've yo-yo'd so many times, I know that I'm doing something wrong, so I feel I have nothing to lose in trying this.

One question, I do have hypothyroidism. In fact I gained 40 pounds in 3 months because my thyroid went downhill postpartum. So I've lost 20 of that in the last month and a half. I honestly think it came back off so quickly because of my adjustment with the thyroid medication. BUT I do worry because my metabolism can be so sluggish. I admit that I'm very afraid that eating so many calories will cause me to start gaining like crazy. How do I get over the mental hump and do you think the hypothyroidism affects the numbers in any way?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for a week and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

My military body fat is 24.9%
    Katch Mcardle BMR = 1293
    Moderately active on chart = 1916 cal.
    TDEE = 1916 x 1.20 = 2299

Ok, so I should not eat below my BMR of 1293 and not go above 2299. Did I do this correctly? That's a huge range!

I just found the place in MFP where I can manually set my goals. Do I put anything in for exercise since it's included in these numbers? I would like to know what numbers to use and where they should go. Also, if I go this route vs. MFP, do I stop entering my exercise?

So you got it right. The range is huge because your exercise calories are included in there.
    You should set the goal for like even 1900, and that does indeed include exercise planned/done.
    The numbers under Goals you see is goals for exercise, it has no bearing on math for eating. So you can enter how many workouts you plan to do, how many calories you hope to burn. And then receive that goal encouragement for the week.
    And then when you log exercise, which you can, just remember you are eating to 1900 everyday only, no extra's since it's included.
    If the credit calories for exercise gets confusing and you want to visually just see 1900, you can log exercise time/activity with 1 calorie. Look at my Food Notes to see what I do.
    Obviously this means MFP's math on deficit is totally off, but TDEE - eating = deficit, so about 400 for you. No matter what MFP says, you know this.
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi dan,

Great post thanks!

I already pretty much use this style of working out cals rather than mfps eat back exercise, but wanted to check ive worked it out right!!!
    I just have a quick question:
    My bmr is 1587 / body fat 40.4 which gives me 1715 sedentary, 1965 lightly active, 2215 as mod active.
    I have a desk job and exercise 4-5 times a week. Exercise is light only due to knee injury so I currently eat at lightly active level of around 1950 and net around 1650.

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but according to the chart the mod active level includes daily activity and workouts, so when you say to add 20% to this number, what is that for?

Adding the 20% gets you to your TDEE without the calorie deficit for weight loss - i.e. maintenance
  • big_eye
    big_eye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! I love the science and formulary calculations... Just need to apply it, I have printed off the original thread/post and surely you will hear from me with questions...

I have a friend who sent me this link and swears by the science of it, she has spelled it out in "lay terms" , but thanks to all of you big hugs...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi dan,

Great post thanks!

I already pretty much use this style of working out cals rather than mfps eat back exercise, but wanted to check ive worked it out right!!!
    I just have a quick question:
    My bmr is 1587 / body fat 40.4 which gives me 1715 sedentary, 1965 lightly active, 2215 as mod active.
    I have a desk job and exercise 4-5 times a week. Exercise is light only due to knee injury so I currently eat at lightly active level of around 1950 and net around 1650.

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but according to the chart the mod active level includes daily activity and workouts, so when you say to add 20% to this number, what is that for?

20 % added to that number is your TDEE. It is the number you should never eat above or you will gain.

thanks but im still confused!
    if TDEE means total daily energy expenditure, then surely bmr, daily activity and workouts is all there is to count so TDEE would be the number in the chart? how does the extra 20% of energy get used????
    as i have a desk job but exercise, would i take the sedentary cals of 1715, add 20% and eat 2058, or choose the activity level of lightly active / moderate so my exercise is already included then i dont add anything and eat between 1965-2215, or add 20% to the 1965/2215 and eat 2358 / 2658 - this seems really high, i seem to lose most eating around 1900?

The number given in the table of the fat2fit tool is AFTER a deficit - if you read the blurb above the table on the page it explains that this is the amount you need to eat to lose. Your actual TDEE is 20% above this - the 20% being your deficit. If you are lightly active, just eat 1965. Do not eat calories back as they are already included in the number.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Wow. Thank you for all of this information. As a yo-yo ever since I can remember, the info. on the Fat 2 Fit site makes sense to me. The numbers also make sense. I had been using MFP's calculations, but usually eating back my exercise calories. That being said, I found that some of my losses were right after having a "bad" (over calorie) day and had started questioning whether or not MFP's calorie level was too low for me. I think I'm going to try this. According to this, if I'm lightly active I should have 2101 calories a day. I'm working on ramping up my exercise routine, so I will likely be switching to moderately active soon, but I admit that scares me because 2368 (the moderate activity calorie level) sounds like so much. But in theory it all makes perfect sense. I know that there's been many days with MFP's numbers that my net was under 1352 (which is my BMR number). Since I've yo-yo'd so many times, I know that I'm doing something wrong, so I feel I have nothing to lose in trying this.

One question, I do have hypothyroidism. In fact I gained 40 pounds in 3 months because my thyroid went downhill postpartum. So I've lost 20 of that in the last month and a half. I honestly think it came back off so quickly because of my adjustment with the thyroid medication. BUT I do worry because my metabolism can be so sluggish. I admit that I'm very afraid that eating so many calories will cause me to start gaining like crazy. How do I get over the mental hump and do you think the hypothyroidism affects the numbers in any way?

I really do not know much about hyperthyroidism but if you are worried about having a more sluggish metabolism than most, you may need to 'play around' with the numbers a bit. You may want to start upping your calories by 100-200 every week or so and 'take stock' until you get to 2100 calories, or a number that works for you if lower. However, others may have a better idea in your specific circumstance.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • northernbeaver
    Options
    bump
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i hope this makes sense, because i think I understand it now...thought i did before, but I was a bit off...

Here goes...

My BMR is 1735 - My TDEE is 2858 (moderate act.) - I eat TDEE and lose weight... on workout days and non workout days... EZ PZ!! Your TDEE is set for a weight loss of around a pound a week, which is healthy. Which is also why there was a 20% addition on top of your TDEE, this number 3429 is reflective of exercise. The 2858 includes the exercise deficit. To eat 3429 would maintain my current weight, providing I was still moderately active. If I become less active adjust via the chart accordingly.

Always eat as close to 2858 as possible might stay around 2600 or so, and never eat below BMR

Gonna take some work to get there, that's for sure... If anyone else faces this much of an increase, go slow, Im adding about 200-300 even 500 a day/per week until I get there. Then will reassess.

Have also started, well restarted a strength training program 3 days per week, but have dropped cardio down to 2-3 days per week, and backed off to a moderate pace.

tracking exercise in MFP becomes useless doen't it? as the number is included in that chart for TDEE... Was nice to see those numbers drop off... gonna miss those...lol

I hope i have got the hang of this.... :ohwell:

Is it possible to drop a pound a week (fat), while trying to build lean muscle?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I will still keep track of exercise, just to make sure I dont go below BMR :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    i hope this makes sense, because i think I understand it now...thought i did before, but I was a bit off...

Here goes...

My BMR is 1735 - My TDEE is 2858 (moderate act.) - I eat TDEE and lose weight... on workout days and non workout days... EZ PZ!! Your TDEE is set for a weight loss of around a pound a week, which is healthy. Which is also why there was a 20% addition on top of your TDEE, this number 3429 is reflective of exercise. The 2858 includes the exercise deficit. To eat 3429 would maintain my current weight, providing I was still moderately active. If I become less active adjust via the chart accordingly.

Always eat as close to 2858 as possible might stay around 2600 or so, and never eat below BMR

Gonna take some work to get there, that's for sure... If anyone else faces this much of an increase, go slow, Im adding about 200-300 even 500 a day/per week until I get there. Then will reassess.

Have also started, well restarted a strength training program 3 days per week, but have dropped cardio down to 2-3 days per week, and backed off to a moderate pace.

tracking exercise in MFP becomes useless doen't it? as the number is included in that chart for TDEE... Was nice to see those numbers drop off... gonna miss those...lol

I hope i have got the hang of this.... :ohwell:

Is it possible to drop a pound a week (fat), while trying to build lean muscle?

You totally have it!!

With regard to building muscle while on a deficit, this is a hotly debated topic, but the general thought is that you cannot gain lean muscle mass while on a deficit (except in some extreme circumstances). The objective is to maintain it as much as possible. That is not to say you cannot get more defined - you can, especially when the fat layer reduces, thereby showing the muscles more.

Dan: please correct me if I am wrong here.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    One of the best posts on MFP I've seen - thanks for taking the time to do this!!
  • j3m123
    j3m123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later