In place of a road map!

Options

Replies

• ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If this has not been mentioned already, there is a Fat 2 Fit app that can be downloaded, I love it!
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i hope this makes sense, because i think I understand it now...thought i did before, but I was a bit off...

Here goes...

My BMR is 1735 - My TDEE is 2858 (moderate act.) - I eat TDEE and lose weight... on workout days and non workout days... EZ PZ!! Your TDEE is set for a weight loss of around a pound a week, which is healthy. Which is also why there was a 20% addition on top of your TDEE, this number 3429 is reflective of exercise. The 2858 includes the exercise deficit. To eat 3429 would maintain my current weight, providing I was still moderately active. If I become less active adjust via the chart accordingly.

Always eat as close to 2858 as possible might stay around 2600 or so, and never eat below BMR

Gonna take some work to get there, that's for sure... If anyone else faces this much of an increase, go slow, Im adding about 200-300 even 500 a day/per week until I get there. Then will reassess.

Have also started, well restarted a strength training program 3 days per week, but have dropped cardio down to 2-3 days per week, and backed off to a moderate pace.

tracking exercise in MFP becomes useless doen't it? as the number is included in that chart for TDEE... Was nice to see those numbers drop off... gonna miss those...lol

I hope i have got the hang of this.... :ohwell:

Is it possible to drop a pound a week (fat), while trying to build lean muscle?

You totally have it!!

With regard to building muscle while on a deficit, this is a hotly debated topic, but the general thought is that you cannot gain lean muscle mass while on a deficit (except in some extreme circumstances). The objective is to maintain it as much as possible. That is not to say you cannot get more defined - you can, especially when the fat layer reduces, thereby showing the muscles more.

Dan: please correct me if I am wrong here.

Woot!

Thanks for all you help Sarauk2sf!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If this has not been mentioned already, there is a Fat 2 Fit app that can be downloaded, I love it!

Word?

I'm getting it now!
    Great week because Fitocracy just hit the app store too!
    =D
    Cheer-1.gif
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of posts since I replied to this topic last, so sorry if someone already pointed this out. But I got confused so I wanted to clarify for the ladies. From the Fat2fit page for the military calculator page:
    "Note: Men should take their waist measurement at the navel. Women should measure the natural waist circumference at the point of minimal abdominal circumference, usually located about halfway between the navel and the lower end of the sternum (breast bone)."

My BF% is much closer to what I had guessed this way. Some other calculators use both men and women's measurements at the navel, but apparently that isn't the case with the military body fat.

EDIT: (the website page for the military calculator says this, but the APP does NOT) hmmm?
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everything you are doing for us.
  • wolt98
    wolt98 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    very informative, going to bump up my calories!
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TrinaCanDoThis
    Options
    bump
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I found the same site and have been amazed at the information
  • BonnieDLG
    BonnieDLG Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ok, I m confused. My bmr is around 1300, so do I eat at or below or above to lose weight?
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    ... sorry, wrong thread :D
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym today and weighed in on the cool a** Tanita Scale (down 4% body fat in one month! Woo hoo!). The beautiful thing is that the numbers almost matched the calculations done on the Fat2Fit website. I totally get it now! I have already adjusted my calories and look forward to a new journey. Thanks all!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ok, I m confused. My bmr is around 1300, so do I eat at or below or above to lose weight?

If you read the very first post, it will explain.
  • TMcMillan
    TMcMillan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm still confused how to figure any of this out.
    Can someone please explain this in VERY SIMPLE TERMS without 2 paragraphs of explanation?

My question is, what EXACTLY do we need to do to determine how many calories we should eat on a daily basis?
    (I understand it gives the chart based on activity level, so lets forget about activity level right now). How do we get an accurate chart of exactly how many calories we should eat in order to consistently lose weight?

You cannot forget about the activity level. You are probably over-thinking this. I think you may not have availed yourself of the reading on the results page, actually read that info to understand what is happening.

1 - visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    2 - Do the Military Body Fat Calc first
    3 - then the BMR tool.
    3.5 - read the paragraphs under the big bold section heading "How much Calories Should I Eat". If you don't see this, you are doing something very wrong.
    4 - The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis for the correct activity level that is picked - exercise is obviously included as you can tell from the descriptions. Which of course means you do NOT eat back exercise calories with this system.

Ok thank you, this makes sense. I think the original post had a lot of extra information that made this much harder to understand.
    The thing that concerns me is the activity levels. I think there can be a lot of variance as far as what you might consider as moderate activity, intense, etc.. As some previous people said, what if you do a lot of exercise but at a lower intensity level? Or if you do a little exercise, but at a high intensity level. You might burn a lot more calories the second way, but if you consider that moderate exercise, then it wouldn't be "allowing" you the correct amount of calories. Also, if you don't exercise at that exact level, all of the time, then you'd have to adjust your calories accordingly.

This is why I feel it makes a lot more sense to just eat the calories for the sedentary level and then eat back any calories you may burn with any exercise you may do that day. This way, you always know you are eating the correct amount of calories. By using a HRM, you would know how many calories you burned - there would be no question of that, and nothing to calculate.

Anyway, I did the calculation and it says I should eat 1700 calories at a sedentary level. There is no way I'd ever lose weight eating that much, since I was previously eating that many calories before I started my diet, and I was consistently GAINING weight. I have had a lot of success eating about 1300 calories at a sedentary level, with consistent weight loss and good results. Anything more than that, and I either don't lose weight, or I gain weight.

So in conclusion, I'll be sticking with the guidelines that MFP sets for me, because it works.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You got the program down exactly.

BTW, you can still log your exercise if desired for review, just record 1 cal.

Oh, you can gain muscle on a deficit UNLESS:
    You are already trim and fit and lifting, or
    You are eating too close to your BMR.

So this method should take care of both.

Here is study that shows selecting 0.7% as weekly weight loss goal will allow you to add muscle, slowly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i hope this makes sense, because i think I understand it now...thought i did before, but I was a bit off...

Here goes...

My BMR is 1735 - My TDEE is 2858 (moderate act.) - I eat TDEE and lose weight... on workout days and non workout days... EZ PZ!! Your TDEE is set for a weight loss of around a pound a week, which is healthy. Which is also why there was a 20% addition on top of your TDEE, this number 3429 is reflective of exercise. The 2858 includes the exercise deficit. To eat 3429 would maintain my current weight, providing I was still moderately active. If I become less active adjust via the chart accordingly.

Always eat as close to 2858 as possible might stay around 2600 or so, and never eat below BMR

Gonna take some work to get there, that's for sure... If anyone else faces this much of an increase, go slow, Im adding about 200-300 even 500 a day/per week until I get there. Then will reassess.

Have also started, well restarted a strength training program 3 days per week, but have dropped cardio down to 2-3 days per week, and backed off to a moderate pace.

tracking exercise in MFP becomes useless doen't it? as the number is included in that chart for TDEE... Was nice to see those numbers drop off... gonna miss those...lol

I hope i have got the hang of this.... :ohwell:

The only thing you are having trouble with is term TDEE. TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is the total amount of calories you burn including your exercise. 3429 is your TDEE. The lower number, 2858, is how many calories to eat. This number has your deficit worked in. So you are right about what to eat. Your maintenance number or TDEE is the same thing 3429.
  • tm0623
    tm0623 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fat-2-fit-tools-for-lifestyle/id485727015?mt=8

=D

I'ts actually easier to understand than the website!
    =D