unique salad dressings?

2»

Replies

• mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    and I really don't care for many oils or vinegar.
    Any suggestions?

I love that most people advised balsamic. Do you not pay attention to what people post? She doesn't like vinegar.... However, I loved this post and gave me some great ideas since I do not like the same things she posted. I don't really like yogurt but hummus would be yummy with salad or really liven up the yogurt with spices. Great ideas. :)
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    I like Benihana ginger salad dressing. It has a little bit of vinegar in it, and some oil, but the vinegar is not predominant at all and I don't get an oily taste from it at all.

1/4 cup sliced celery
    1/4 cup soybean oil (or light oil of your choice)
    2T chopped onion (I prefer sweet onions)
    2T white vinegar
    1T tomato paste
    1.5 teaspoon soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I think they mean powdered, I've seen some other recipes with roughly these porportions use 1 tablespoon chopped fresh gingerroot)

Sone recipes also incluse a little lemon juice too, you might want to try that to mix things up.

Place everything in a belnder and mix till smooth. makes 6 2T servings. 89 cals, 9g fat (sat fats are dependent on oil, soy as 1g) 1 carb, 0 fiber 0 protein.

You could also probably stretch this a little farther by adding a little more veggies and a tad more ginger to get less calories per serving. The salt could easily be nixed and you can use lower sodium soy sauce too.
  • I've been doing a lot of fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice over my salads. Let it set for a min or two to let the acid start working and then a small drizzle of really good extra virgin olive oil, some cracked black pepper, and a sprinkle of salt (if I don't have salty toppings already).
  • beckys19
    and I really don't care for many oils or vinegar.
    Any suggestions?

I love that most people advised balsamic. Do you not pay attention to what people post? She doesn't like vinegar.... However, I loved this post and gave me some great ideas since I do not like the same things she posted. I don't really like yogurt but hummus would be yummy with salad or really liven up the yogurt with spices. Great ideas. :)

Though Balsamic is a vinegar, a good, well-aged balsamic does not have as strong of an acidic tone that most people associate with vinegar. In general, the older and thicker a balsamic is, the less acitic tasting it is. I just popped into my pantry to check out my stock, and while a 3-leaf baslamic is still on the acidic side, my 4-leaf balsamic has a nice blend of sweet/sour. I would recommend the OP check with a foodie friend if they have some well-aged balsamic on hand to see if that is an option. Just try a toothpick dipped into the vinegar and see how you like it. A little balsamic tossed with a salad is a great dressing, as it is only 10 cals per tablespoon.
  • beckys19
    Also, google orange juice salad dressing recipe. I think that would go well with salads too. Again, this has a little oil but looking at the recipes I don't think it would be too 'oily'.