Recommendations for fantasy, horror, sci-fi books?

Options

Replies

• mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read any of his books already I would highly recommend any and all books by John Wyndham.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm a patricia McKillip fan. she's my favorite.

also most from the late anne mccaffrey. I don't like the acorna bit, or the seal stuff.. forget their names....but I like the dragonrider series, the books that started in 'to ride pegasus' almost to the end of the damia stuff...I like the way she ties worlds together...and i like most of the ship who sang stuff.

steven brust made me laugh early on

peter beagle of course...
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that no one's suggested Clive Barker in this genre. As far as I'm concerned, he's da man. And while his early stuff is gory, holy cow! horror, the later stuff is very rich in story line.. I absolutely love his Weaveworld, Imajica, The Great and Secret Show, Coldheart Canyon, Galilee, Abarat, and The Thief of Always. I completely get lost in Weaveworld, Imajica and TGASS, they are big books, but the details are so vivid, you feel like you're *living* there, not just reading it.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sunshine-vampire book
    Hunger games
    Anita Blake series-vampire
    Eragon series
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (fantasy)

It's a series of seven books and starts with Dragon Wing.
  • jerber160
    Options
    I just finished the first four books of the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R R Martin (Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows) I highly highly highly recommend them.. they are awesome.
    years ago I was playing with reviews at amazon and I recently realized I read the first in the game of thrones series and gave it one star! it makes me laugh that it's such a huge success now..what do I know?
  • hoosier_red
    Options
    Sorry to do this, but I couldn't resist -- if you like short story collections in e-book format, my short story collection RANDOM REALITIES (author name Melanie Fletcher) is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It includes SF, fantasy, and horror with a little bit of comedy and mystery thrown in there (because sticking to a genre? What means this term?).
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I second the Kushiel Series vote, and also the George RR Martin vote. I'm just finishing the second book, Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm wracked with anticipation for the second season of Game of Thrones on HBO which starts on April 1st.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    years ago I was playing with reviews at amazon and I recently realized I read the first in the game of thrones series and gave it one star! it makes me laugh that it's such a huge success now..what do I know?

You know what you like!! :)
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned:
    Inheritance Cylce by Christopher Paolini
    Hunger Games series

Anything by Ray Bradbury. My favorites are:
    Martian Chronicles
    Fahrenheit 451

Reread the classics like Catch 22, Brave New World, and Lord of the Flies.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Some of the authors I read are Terry Goodkind, He has a good Fantasy series. Anne Rice for vampire novels, I typically don't like history but i really dig Philipa Gregory's version historical fiction. She tells the story from a character point of view- gives them a voice from out of the past without being stuffy or boring. If ever want to give it a try, start with The other Queen (Anne Boelyn and King Henry the 8th) He was a sick dude! Another amazing book she wrote about witchcraft and the trials. Its called The Wise Woman. I also like Megan Chance. She wites in a more victorian time period about ghosts, seances etc. Of hers I've read The spiritualist and An inconvenient Wife. You have lots of authors to look up now with everyone's refferals. I know I'm gonna check some of them out- being a book geek too! LOL.
  • jerber160
    Options

You know what you like!! :)
    thxxxx they're something I won't be seeing, or involved in or anything.. sigh..what to talk about around the water cooler? Oh yeah. my weight!
  • jerber160
    Options
    i never do horror but years ago I read a werewolf book... something about an indian shaman who fed some hiker the reconstituted saliva or blood of a werewolf and he became one. something about destroying the lab facility he was eventually held in.. i remember it being really different from the norm and liking it and for the world i have no idea what it was called
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The Host! It's 800 pages but I couldn't put it down!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld and Tiffany Acking's books. My ultimate fantasy serieses (if that is a word) are Modisett's Recluse series and David Edding's Belgariad and Mallorian series. The later author truly was a don't go to sleep just read type of book for me.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite authors is Raymond E Feist. He's done about 4-6 different series and a few stand alone novels but they're all fantastic. Anne Bishop is another favourite. I suggest reading the Black Jewels trilogy first because that's where most of her follow-up novels are set.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Nerd Alert: I've been tearing through RA Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden / Dark Elf books. :blushing: I'm on the 13th in the series now.
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
    The Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton
    Shifter's series by Rachel Vincent
    The Vampire Academy series by by Richelle Mead
    The Hunger Games books by Suzanne Collins
    The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
    The Riley Jensen series by Keri Arthur
    The Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn
    The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
    The Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter
    The Hollows books by Kim Harrison
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ian Irvine's Well of Echoes Series
    Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Series
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that no one's suggested Clive Barker in this genre. As far as I'm concerned, he's da man. A

Also, Ramsey Campbell. :)