Recommendations for fantasy, horror, sci-fi books?

Options

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Shatterday - Harlan Ellison. Great collection. Some of his best stories.
  • GhoulyGrin
    Options
    I just finished Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. It was a fun read :)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. octavia butler. my favorite is wild seed,,,, but I like the imago bit too. haven't read more than 4 of hers...
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Anything by Anne Rice "The Mummy" is one of my faves

Stephen King just came out with some more short stories/novellas, "Full Dark, No Stars"
    Dean Koontz "What the Night Knows" reading this right now
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    David Weber's HonorHarrington books. Sherwood Smith's Inda series. All the old Darkover books by M Z Bradley. I can go on.....this is my fsvorite reading, and I read a lot!
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The Kushiel Trilogy by Jacqueline Carey. LOVE these books, and own all of them now.
    The Wayfarer Redemption Series. Great books with interesting twists to them.
    The Fever Series (or MacKayla Lane series). One of the best Fae styled series I have ever read.

Also the Night Angel Trilogy.... Another great set.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I like Edgar Allen Poe. He is always good for a chilling evening.

Also faves, Lynsay Sands and Kim Harrison.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    The first three novels of 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen', by Steven Erikson:
    1.Gardens of the Moon
    2.Deadhouse Gates
    3.Memories of Ice
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    After many years re-reading Stephen King's Skeleton Crew. A collection of short stories, one novella, (The Mist), and some odd fragments.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just got done with RR Martin series, 4th book took a bit to get through. Fantasy Dragonlance Chronicles by Weis & Hickman. Sci-fi I love Micheal Crichton, Congo was a great book, bad movie. "IT" by King I have re-read a few times.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Anything here ... http://www.jimwcoleman.com - "Level Heads XE" is a compilation of short stories, all with a "Twilight Zone" feel. "Omens" is creepy, "Glass" is more a CSI type of story with lots of forensics. "Secret Things" borders on the Sci-Fi... can't go wrong... I think "Glass" is on sale now for the Kindle pretty cheap ... $3 or $4, and it's the author's best seller.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Anything by Robert R McCammon. Swan Song, Usher's Passing, Mystery Walk - I have read all of his books many, many times and they are just as good the 15th time as they are the 1st.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    If you want funny, read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
    then finish the other 4 books in the increasingly misnamed trilogy.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The Honor Harrington Series - David Weber
    The Prince Roger series - David Weber and John Ringo
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    ANYTHING by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn series, Way of Kings, etc)
    Legacy of the Aldenata Series - John Ringo
    Valor Series - Tanya Huff
    So much more.....

I have really been stuck on military sci fi lately. Such a nerd. Just started the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd. A little simple, but entertaining, although I hated the narrator at first.

Oh yeah - I liked the Kushiel series too. Carey has another series I liked too.
  • Vikingmiss
    Vikingmiss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I know! I am racing to finish the second book before the season starts!
    I love Jon Snow. <3
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I know! I am racing to finish the second book before the season starts!
    I love Jon Snow. <3

My faves are Arya (I can SO understand her character!) Jon Snow, Tyrion (I see him as a good guy) and I'm really interested in the wolf story line with Bran. I find so many of the characters have such depth of emotion, something I often find a bit stale in male writers.
    It also doesn't hurt that HBO created the images of the characters that I see in my mind, since I saw the TV series before I read the first book :)
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    He's not for everyone but I love Joe R Lansdale. He's similar to Harlan Ellison, who is a favourite of mine. Sort of horror/shock/sci fi genre.
  • Halcyon3608
    Halcyon3608 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Anything by David Brin! His work is usually classified as hard science fiction, and he really knows his science. He's written a couple of stand-alone novels (The Practice Effect, The Postman, Heart of the Comet, Earth, Glory Season, Kiln People), some collections of short stories (The River of Time, Otherness, Tomorrow Happens) and my personal favorite, a series of six novels set in his Uplift universe (Sundiver, Startide Rising, The Uplift War, Brightness Reef, Infinity's Shore, Heaven's Reach). I've read everything multiple times, and I think he's brilliant.
  • kaiyagirl
    Options
    For fantasy, Im a big fan of Robin Hobb and Terry Goodkind.
  • JSkinner72
    Options
    I always reread "The Stand" when I'm up for something apocolyptic (Stephen King).

I agree, one of my favorite books of all time. I would also suggest Neil Gaiman his books are a fun read.