So I Got Asked How I'm Losing Weight....

Options
So great that people are noticing, right? Well, when I said MFP and logging my food (and before I could even get the word exercise out of my mouth), one of the ladies responded, "Oh, I don't have time for that. I'm too busy." The second lady agreed with her. I wanted to remind them I'm a single mom who works full time, volunteers at church, and I never seem to have five minutes for myself. But....I just let it go. Excuses are excuses....I realize now that she was looking for a quick fix, and of course, this is no quick fix.

Replies

• nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Always wished I could just wake up thin one day. And I would promise to always be good.
    Not gonna happen.
  • kilime50
    kilime50 Posts: 37
    Options
    Don't let that kind of response get to you. You are doing great!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have people asking me that too. One person even asked to borrow the workout video I was doing at the time so I lent it to her. She hasn't done it once and it's been over a month. I guess you have to really be ready to commit to a new lifestyle because it doesn't come without work.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Amen!
    If you don't know what you're eating that's causing you to lose weight, you *could* just "crash diet" and lose weight, but if you never learn a lifestyle, you'll just go back to your old ways again.

"I never said it'd be easy, I only said it'd be worth it".
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Bumpers!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Busy? I am never too busy to take care of myself. When I take care of me I can take care of others.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    great job on your weight loss!

i just say "OK" to people like that. once they get fed up enough or are really serious about losing the weight then those things won't matter.

i have a few friends who are trying to lose weight and i since i've been reading a lot more and cooking a lot more, i've tried passing them recipes and tips that i'm picking up. the main excuse i hear is about being too busy to eat right, so i basically told my friends i was doing things like making meals on the weekends so that i wouldnt have to worry about it during the work week.

i started forwarding some delicious recipes i was trying and that were perfect and easy to make in crockpots and then you can have enough for the week. after getting too many "oh i could never eat that, i'd need more cheese in it" or whatever i stopped forwarding. it's like SHEESH you dont have to make this exact recipe, i'm just sending you idea of the types of things you can make ahead of time and have 6-10 servings so you wont have to worry about what to cook on a tuesday night when you're tired :laugh:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    constantly happens to me. "oh, you log everything? that seems difficult" i'm like, "yeah, if it were easy, it would be called 'your mom.'"
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of my friends who have said the exact same thing to me, then get irritated when I tell them that weight loss is hard work and requires effort. & I mean, really, HOW much time does it really take to input your calories? 15 minutes?
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I get asked all the time!!!!!!! Keep up the great work and effort!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    constantly happens to me. "oh, you log everything? that seems difficult" i'm like, "yeah, if it were easy, it would be called 'your mom.'"

Bahahahahaaa! CLASSIC!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is that it takes no time at all. You don't even have to do your own math, what could be easier? I've started thinking of having business cards made up because so many people ask me the same question.

it must feel great to have people notice your hard work, you ROCK!
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    People ask me that too. I try my hardest to get them to try MFP but I can't convince them. Oh well, their loss! :ohwell:
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yet they somehow have plenty of time to down that slice of cake...
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I hate when people ask how I'm losing weight and when I tell them that I watch my calorie intake and exercise, they give me this face :frown: followed by an "Oh..."

I think they're expecting it to be something like, "All I do is eat chocolate, drink lots and lots of beer, eat all the grease I can manage and sit on the couch. The weight just falls off when you watch TV!"
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters what answer you give these people. They are only asking you so they have the opportunity to give you their excuses. If you pulled a little gadget out of your pocket and said "Here, just carry this around in your pocket and the weight melts off" you'd STILL get an excuse!

I have started countering back to the "What are you doing to lose weight?" with "Why are you asking?" and if someone gives me a lame excuse why they don't have the time (I am a single Mum who works too) I call them on it. I figure it's a bit 'you have to be cruel to be kind'. If I don't call them on their lame excuses, I am condoning it. They believe it and continue. They may hate me for it, but if it gets them to second-guess their lame excuses and possibly think about FINDING the time, I don't care what they think of me.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    In some defense, before I started with this site (even when using FitDay), calorie logging did seem like a sideways pain in the *kitten*. I think it takes showing someone for them to actually see how it works. If they can commit with someone else and get at least a week in for the rhythm/repetition/routine bit, it gets so much easier.

All the same, good for you for not letting them get you down! You've found your rhythm with this. :happy:
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yeah I notice people want to hear I am using some pill or a cleanse. But I am just real with them, it didn't take a week to gain this weight and it isn't going to take a week for it to come off!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is that it takes no time at all. You don't even have to do your own math, what could be easier? I've started thinking of having business cards made up because so many people ask me the same question.

it must feel great to have people notice your hard work, you ROCK!

Oh business cards is a great idea! Maybe not a box of 500 (Not THAT many people ask me) by I could print off a couple of pages on the computer...
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. They think too that it's all about calorie counting. I tried to tell them how much I have learned about food, quality, portion control, and exercise. For me, this is about "My Fitness" and "My Lifestyle" not My Calorie Counter or My Diet!
    Congrats on your success so far!!