Who would you be more inclined to spend your money on?

Options

Replies

• Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I agree with chefkev. Anyone who has been where I was and made it all the way to fit is gold in my book.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    one that would meet my criteria: background in athletics (degree and certifications), 2) motivating; 3) ready to get sweaty and work with me; 4) inspiring.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'd go with ripped all day long.

given those are the only things we are going on, the ripped guy clearly has done it. Whether he knows the scientific reasons behind what he does or not, he has his success right there.

The other guy might know the science behind it but know nothing about putting it into practice.

Would you like to be taught to drive by (hypothetically) a rally driver with no UK licence or by someone who has studied the internal workings of cars and their workings but has never driven as far as you can see?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The first trainer I had, had a 4 yr college degree(not in fitness or anything) but was an absolute idiot. He was kind of ripped, but it didn't really help much. As I describe it, he's a pretty boy... cared more about looking good and posing in the gym, then he did anything else!

Trainer 2 started college(not fitness related), but didn't finish I don't think. KInd of ripped but not really.. and a really good trainer. I learned a lot from him in only the short time I had with him.

Trainer 3, has a degree in Computer Science, been in the business for 5 years and is going for his second PT certification. He's built but could stand to lose the gut. He's one of the sweetest people I've ever met and really good at motivating. Since he's been in the business for so long, he knows what works and what doesn't.. and always has a dozen alternatives if I don't like something that we are doing.. and to me, that matters more than anything! If I don't like what we are doing, then I won't want to do it.. and he's able to pick up on that instantly and tweak it till I like it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the personal trainer has studied at university for two years. If they have a degree in art, history, English, engineering, or anything other then a degree in exercise physiology, exercise science, athletic training, or kinesiology, then it is useless for them to have studied for 2 years because it doesn't relate to the gym. If they are working toward an exercise related degree, then that is who I would go with.

Appearance doesn't mean anything when it comes to trainers. Just because they have good genetics that help them have a ripped look or bad genetics that they are working toward overcoming doesn't mean they know how to work with me. The education is much more important.

But remember, my opinion is based in 16 years as a certified personal trainer and as a student who has just completed a bachelors in exercise physiology, so I'm kind of partial to education and not just calling yourself a trainer because you look good.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    for me, I would rather find a former fatty who made good. They have "been there and done that" so I know they understand what it is like to start from scratch. As opposed to someone who has been in shape their whole life and doesn't understand what it is like to have not been an athelete forever.

Once you are in good shape, then move to a different type of trainer.

This this is one reason i love listen to Jillian Michaels As a former fatty she gets it more than someone who never was overweight
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've never used a personal trainer. If I ever did, my first criteria would be their personality - honestly. If I met the person and I felt he/she was a schmuck, no amount of ripped-ness or schooling would make me want to listen to them.

Beyond that..... probably the one in better shape. A degree doesn't mean anything to me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would actually go with the one with the education who is not ripped. Just because a person has trouble practicing what he or she knows doesn't mean he or she doesn't know it.

A ripped trainer I know is pushing diet pills that he sells on the side. I'd hope an educated but less ripped trainer wouldn't do something like that.

And when I say "education," I mean in the field. I have a degree in English. That doesn't make me qualified as a PT.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I used to have a personal trainer who was incredibly strong, but she didn't exactly look 'ripped'. And I thought she was fab :D

Did you know if she'd studied?

Yah she had her certificates, and a bazillion degrees. She is also just about to finish her post grad in psych.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For sure the one with the education.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think I'd want a PT that was interested in me and what I wanted to achieve and not just to create a carbon-copy of themselves.

I'd like one that was ripped like Ryan Reynolds but I'd probably not get much work done, as I'd be too busy having lustful thoughts :wink::laugh:

I think it's all good and well looking fantastic or having an armful of certificates, but I'd really like to see their portfolio and their client referrals, as after all, that speaks more than physical looks or pieces of paper.
    I've never used a personal trainer. If I ever did, my first criteria would be their personality - honestly. If I met the person and I felt he/she was a schmuck, no amount of ripped-ness or schooling would make me want to listen to them.

Beyond that..... probably the one in better shape. A degree doesn't mean anything to me.

Yup, forgot to mention this too
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    My current trainer is both highly educated and in incredible shape. My last trainer was educated, but not as dedicated to working out. I think it's important to have someone who practices what they preach and is an example of it.
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks for the answers guys, I read all of them, this is really interesting getting different perspectives :)
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I would want more information.

I can't decide I wouldn't spend my money on either if they didn't let me know anything else about their background
    I would prefer a trainer who is educated, in shape, fit..and who has struggled with their weight in the past and overcome the odds but has life balance...I want to find someone who has the life I want and to learn from them. That I would pay for.
    But if the person is only in shape and ripped because they spend 4 hours a day working out...then I can't possibly achieve that.
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    whoever I had a repore with and I say this sincerely-I trained with a friend who was the athletics coordinator of the gym and she had sort of a pouch around the middle-she was a spectacular trainer. I think that it sort of depends what you are looking for-but generally if you are trying to look better you are gonna go for someone who looks the way you want to...if you want technical training you might be swayed by more of an education.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Generally, I would go for the education, but really I'd sit with each one to discuss a plan that they would have in mind for me first to see if that knowledge base is up to date.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For me, education has never really swayed me on a lot of things. I believe in practice what you preach. If you are living it and proving to me that you know what it means to get fit and be healthy, I am going to stick with you. So, I'd go with the ripped trainer who is practicing what he preaches.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Most PTs with a two year degree aren't going to be any better than a PT who has spent time in the weight room and gotten hands on experience.
    Also a ripped PT can still be a total douche that doesn't know a thing about lifting, we've all seen it. There's lots of guys who have gotten fairly big but know zero about form or nutrition.

I'd spend my money on a trainer that has a good amount of experience, and can tell me about their accomplishments. If they compete in powerlifting/strongman/other sports, I'd be more likely to hire them.

A lot depends on the certification they carry as well. I don't care if you spent 2 years getting a degree if the certification you got sucks. Some of the places teach absolute garbage. ACSM had some of the worst programming ideas I've ever seen. 2 years learning the wrong thing isn't better.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I would take the ripped one over the education. Personal experience to me is more valuable than an education IMO. Anyone can read a book or learn about something, but actually doing it is entirely different. This is just assuming I know NOTHING else about them.
  • HDurow1018
    HDurow1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    for me, I would rather find a former fatty who made good. They have "been there and done that" so I know they understand what it is like to start from scratch. As opposed to someone who has been in shape their whole life and doesn't understand what it is like to have not been an athelete forever.

Once you are in good shape, then move to a different type of trainer.

Not sure if you meant it this way but just because someone is "ripped" doesn't mean they were never a "former fatty"....my trainer was a bigger girl when she started studying for her fitness degree and now she is getting ready for fitness model competitions and you could scrub your clothes on her abs...lol! She has "been there and done that" and is ripped! I think it makes her a better trainer!