To those of you that saw the The Hunger Games

Options
13»

Replies

• wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Let me just say, that this was a very disappointing read on "The Hunger Games"

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

How awful. I don't know who these people are, but reading comprehension is not their strong point since it was clear in the book that Rue and thresh had "dark skin".
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    It was a GREAT movie. Me and my husband both enjoyed it without having read the books. I found it very tasteful.

The only annoying part was as others mentioned the shaky camera thing. Seemed overly done. Otherwise excellent movie and it makes me want to crack open the books... have to get through the other books I'm reading first. :happy:
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty darn good. The only thing I didn't like was the way they moved the camera around sometimes - that shaky quick moving camera thing they do where you almost get nauseous.

They left out or changed few very things (like Prim giving Katniss the Mockingjay pin, not Madge, and a few other small details). I thought Haymitch was more positive toward Katniss in the movie - he didn't seem to like her much at all in the book, although he did give her more stuff during the game).

Overall, very good, and I'd go see it again.

Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't like the shaky camera. Other than that, we loved it and I think they did a great job adapting it to the screen.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just read the first book right before the movie so it was fresh in my mind. You watch the movie and you're thinking that shouldn't have happened! But it's good b/c you don't know exactly what to expect b/c there are a few differences. I thought the book was better than the movie but that's usually the way it goes. The movie was definitely still worth seeing though!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed by it. I felt like they left off key parts of the story that might have helped non-readers...also, they ended it on a note that didn't leave people wondering if there would be another movie. I think they should have showcased the rebellion more so they knew that President Snow was mad at Katniss.

My fiance hadn't read the books nor did I tell him about it and the first thing he said when we left the theatre was that the president wasn't done with her, so he got it. I didn't find I had to explain much to him that I knew from the book.

I was happy with it. Normally I am not a fan of books to movies, there is so much lost, but I thought they did a very good job of getting everything across. The books were better, but I think the movie did a fair job at portraying it.

I also agree with whoever said about the jerky movement, we said the same thing.

ETA - I made my fiance go really early to get a seat. We were there 40 minutes early and the theatre only ended up being half full. But there was like 6 shows. People were lined up for the next one when we left.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I saw it for the third time today. I'm addicted!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It wasn't as good as the books but still worth the watch. They couldn't fit everything in of course, and changed a few things. Plus, I don't think they chose the right guy to play Peeta. That being said, I still enjoyed myself. I want to watch it again actually.

I didn't love the Peeta choice either but several of the other characters were spot on. Love Cinna, Haymitch, Katniss and Effie.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Let me just say, that this was a very disappointing read on "The Hunger Games"

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

How awful. I don't know who these people are, but reading comprehension is not their strong point since it was clear in the book that Rue and thresh had "dark skin".

I don't know about anyone else, but it never even occured to me to "care less" about one of the characters because of their skin color- wow, some people just suck!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It was good. I read the books and I thought it held up. Unfortunately, my experience was completely ruined by jerks talking throughout the whole movie. :(
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to see it this weekend.

How was Woody Harrelson as Haymitch? I kept picturing Robert Downey Jr as I was reading the book but could see WH doing a pretty good job too.