Why are bones gross?

Options
13»

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I see this posted a lot on the forum. Comments like "If I can see bones you are too skinny" or " EWW. Bones are for dogs!"

But I don't see the problem with bones? I mean if you can see every bone, rib, spine, then well I see the problem xD But my ribs stick out in the morning, my hips stick out like crazy and even hurt from rubbing on my jeans, and my collar bone is visible through most shirts and also very very noticeable. But im healthy weight, strong, and active,

Just curious on opinions of why? Do you think seeing bones are gross/unhealthy?

You just have to realize that a lot of people on here think their way is the only way and anyone with a different goal or who looks different than they want to look is going to be the object of scorn.

Personally, while I want to be toned (i.e. not jiggle anymore!), I don't want a six pack. I don't want hard, defined muscles. I don't want a body fat percentage so low I can't have a period anymore. I want to be toned and soft and what *I* consider feminine. But to many here, that's "skinny fat" and there's something wrong with it.

I agree with this completely.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I see this posted a lot on the forum. Comments like "If I can see bones you are too skinny" or " EWW. Bones are for dogs!"

But I don't see the problem with bones? I mean if you can see every bone, rib, spine, then well I see the problem xD But my ribs stick out in the morning, my hips stick out like crazy and even hurt from rubbing on my jeans, and my collar bone is visible through most shirts and also very very noticeable. But im healthy weight, strong, and active,

Just curious on opinions of why? Do you think seeing bones are gross/unhealthy?

I know what you mean. If you look at my avatar, you can see my collar bones. (I look quite thin, but, I still have a belly.) When I was in my 20's, I was naturally skinny as a rail. (5'10" 130lbs) I used to get so annoyed by the comments "Oh, gosh, girl! You're a skeleton!" or "Real women have curves."

I was normal. They were stupid, rude, and probably jealous.
    I *hate* comments like those you've mentioned. I don't understand why people think those are fine, but would be horrified if someone was called "fat". Or heaven forbid, told that they looked "gross".

"Real women have curves" is an accepted phrase. But can you imagine if someone said this....
    A real woman can be swept off her feet without giving the man a hernia.

Another example: "Bones are for the dogs". No problem - but if this was said...
    Fat is for fuglies. Bones are for the babes.

You'd never hear the end of the outrage. People need to be accepting of all body types and not make cruel comments.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For myself I want some meat on my body, and as I age I defintely don't want any bones popping through. I think as we age women look better with a little meat.

My grandmother used to always say she didn't want to get too skinny because some of her old lady friends that were very skinny didn't have any weight to lose when they got sick and had a harder time recovering. She lived to be 94 and lived on her own till she died (my grandfather passed at an early age) so maybe she was on to something.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I am in the 190's and my collarbones stick out as well as my hip bones. They always have. I just have big bones. I am 5'10, so I guess it's good (they're supporting my height) *shrug*
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bones aren't gross. I cried like a baby when I could see my collarbones again. :smile:

When my collar bones started showing, I couldn't keep my hands off them. I love the way they look and feel. I love feeling my bones...and my man loves them, too. I am not emaciated, but have muscle and still a bit too much fat. And I'm the healthiest and strongest I have been in my 52 years.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i like my bones very much. they allow my muscles to move my body around. without them, i would be a quivering blob on the floor.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think people lose track of what healthy bodies should look like because they are too close to it. Maybe they need to find another creature they could be more objective about? As the "crazy dog lady," I go back to how I would tell if a dog is a healthy weight: you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them normally, and you should be able to see a "waistline" when looking down at the dog. I can feel my ribs, but not see them (unless I inhale sharply), and I have a nice tuck at my waistline. Yes, I have hip bones and collar bones. I also have boney elbows, but it doesn't bother me to see my dogs' boney elbow, now does it? Elbows are a natural point that would not normally be covered by a muscle, so with a healthy BF% they should be visable. I once took in a foster dog that was too skinny. I could see all kinds of bones: hips, ribs, spine... He was too skinny, and the bones sticking out were an obvious sign of that.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    they're NOT! they're beautiful! I love all the new ones I keep finding!!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think bones are gross...now muscles on the other hand.....
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I especially like bones when they have been boiled long enough that the meat just falls right off and you can suck the marrow out. It is a really nice treat. high in protein too.
  • OnlyShootingStars
    Options
    I agree with the original poster. They aren't gross unless it's extreme, but even then I wouldn't exactly say it was gross, I'd just want that person to get some help if they're starving themselves to be that way.
    As for me, I'm pear shaped and no matter what weight I've been my collarbones have always been visible. I can usually see my ribs and hipbones in the morning, but they aren't prominent enough where other people will really notice them at my current weight.