Salad with high cals VS low cal non healthy foods...?

Options
TaraFTMVA
TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
Heya all^^, I work at a restaurant as a server and I get an employee meal when I work, I am fine to not always eat at the restaurant, but some shifts I need to refuel. Anyways we have a lot of menu options and even some healthy choice options. I would love to get salads, but the lowest full size salad is 800 calories (w/out dressing), but there is more filling and unhealthier options that are lower in calories. What I am wondering is if it is better for me to go over my calories with a salad? Or to stay under my calories and eat something not as healthy like pancakes? Hoping to get an answer bc I am really trying to get remotivated to lose!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight you need a calorie deficit, so either eat a half or 3/4 portion of the salad or get one of the lower cal options. Or budget cals and eat the whole salad
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    First of all, I want to know what restaurant serves a salad that is 800 calories without dressing. LOL

If you know the nutritional values of the meals in the restaurants would it be possible to make your own meal? Say, order the salad but remove all the high calorie items and substitute them with more fresh veggies? Perhaps order a steak with steamed veggies; or a turkey burger without the bun????
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    "Salad" is completely meaningless. What is in it that equals 800 calories? It could be healthy or completely unhealthy. You can't assume it's healthy just because it's called salad.
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    I could possibly do that, I honestly do not know why the salads are so high. The salad I would love to get is 1600 cals..its a spinach and chicken salad, but even if I took out the bacon bits, eggs, balsamic vinaigrette and Make the chicken grilled, I would only save about 300cals....and we dont have turkey burgers =/
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would go with the lower calorie options. You can add good veggies at home after or before your shift but for hunger issues and for meal planning lower is better in my book.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Can you just "create" your own salad from stuff they have there? How much chicken is on that salad like 10 ounces? I wouldn't recommend eating pancakes instead of salad. Just get the salad as customized as you can. 2 cups of spinach, 4 ounces of chicken and the eggs should be under 300 calories. Add 2 Tablespoons of salad dressing and you should be around 400 calories!
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    "Salad" is completely meaningless. What is in it that equals 800 calories? It could be healthy or completely unhealthy. You can't assume it's healthy just because it's called salad.

Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way, I was just thinking grilled chicken on a salad with no dressing would be a healthy option, but I dont see where the 800 cals are coming from when most of it is lettuce. Its 1 seasoned chicken breast (seasoned with some sort of mexican seasoning I think) but perhaps I need to take a different approach and do as PP said and remove most everything from the salad and lower the calorie count.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My main meal during the week is a salad and it is also close to 800 calories, but it includes an avocado, walnuts and edamame. I consider it healthy, even with the addition of either a light or fat-free salad dressing.
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    Can you just "create" your own salad from stuff they have there? How much chicken is on that salad like 10 ounces? I wouldn't recommend eating pancakes instead of salad. Just get the salad as customized as you can. 2 cups of spinach, 4 ounces of chicken and the eggs should be under 300 calories. Add 2 Tablespoons of salad dressing and you should be around 400 calories!

Unfortunately there is no "make your own salad" option =/. If there was I would probably be in better shape. I think its less that 10oz, like 6-8. Ill have to try this idea and just substitute what I can. Ty all for your suggestions!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What's the "non healthy" lower cal food?
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    My main meal during the week is a salad and it is also close to 800 calories, but it includes an avocado, walnuts and edamame. I consider it healthy, even with the addition of either a light or fat-free salad dressing.
    So do you go over your calories? Or eat lighter the rest of the day?
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always go for lower calories, and if that option is also more filling, sounds like a win-win.
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options

Really anything, omelettes, burgers, pancakes, sandwiches, french fries, chicken, just depends on the meal.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    an omlette isnt a bad choice , its packed full of protein and good stuff! Protein = filling too!

and omlette made with 3 eggs and a smidge of milk is more than enough for me for lunch and I usually add vegetables to it they add nutrition rather than cals and can add taste too
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Heya all^^, I work at a restaurant as a server and I get an employee meal when I work, I am fine to not always eat at the restaurant, but some shifts I need to refuel. Anyways we have a lot of menu options and even some healthy choice options. I would love to get salads, but the lowest full size salad is 800 calories (w/out dressing), but there is more filling and unhealthier options that are lower in calories. What I am wondering is if it is better for me to go over my calories with a salad? Or to stay under my calories and eat something not as healthy like pancakes? Hoping to get an answer bc I am really trying to get remotivated to lose!

What's on that salad that makes it 800 calories??? Maybe swap some toppings, like grilled chicken (hold the butter or oil) for bacon, less r no cheese, egg whites ...

I bet you can make a salad healthy AND low-cal with some changes. And I wonder how healthy an 800-calorie salad is ...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Really anything, omelettes, burgers, pancakes, sandwiches, french fries, chicken, just depends on the meal.

What's unhealthy about the omelets and chicken?
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    Take a packed lunch? :smile:
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    if you had 2 cups of lettuce and spinach mixed your looking at 50 cals. to start with. get the chicken grilled and if it is that ginormous turkey sized breast eat only half, 200cals with marinade. go from there. do the obvious no croutons, bacon and lite on the cheese. if you get your dressing on the side and dip it. you should have. a very large salad at about 400cals.
  • jts10
    jts10 Posts: 37
    Options
    It's the chicken that's causing the problem. Just go with the salad -- spinach, veggies, etc. no cheese, no meat, no dressing. That's the healthiest option. Plus, all of those aforementioned items are bad for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Surely you can order the salad without some of the high calorie ingredients. Usually cheese is the culprit in salads without dressing, try asking for the salad without cheese or with half the cheese. Or order some veggie side dishes only. Does the restaurant offer a baked sweet potato? This is very filling and healthy option if you order it plain. Or a small lean steak or a chicken breast? You don't mention the restaurant but I can't imagine pancakes and salads are the only options on the menu.