Salad with high cals VS low cal non healthy foods...?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's the chicken that's causing the problem. Just go with the salad -- spinach, veggies, etc. no cheese, no meat, no dressing. That's the healthiest option. Plus, all of those aforementioned items are bad for you.

How is chicken bad for you? An olive oil-based dressing is very healthy, as is cheese in moderation. It has calcium, protein, vitamins ...
  • Brevans04
    Brevans04 Posts: 18
    Options
    Heya all^^, I work at a restaurant as a server and I get an employee meal when I work, I am fine to not always eat at the restaurant, but some shifts I need to refuel. Anyways we have a lot of menu options and even some healthy choice options. I would love to get salads, but the lowest full size salad is 800 calories (w/out dressing), but there is more filling and unhealthier options that are lower in calories. What I am wondering is if it is better for me to go over my calories with a salad? Or to stay under my calories and eat something not as healthy like pancakes? Hoping to get an answer bc I am really trying to get remotivated to lose!

The time of my life when I was the HEALTHIEST was when I worked for a resturant. IF you know your cooks well then get them to make you something not on the menu ie, 1 piece of chicken breast, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, and if you need the cheese goat cheese. And bring your own dressing.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I could possibly do that, I honestly do not know why the salads are so high. The salad I would love to get is 1600 cals..its a spinach and chicken salad, but even if I took out the bacon bits, eggs, balsamic vinaigrette and Make the chicken grilled, I would only save about 300cals....and we dont have turkey burgers =/

I'm presuming it's a large portion as well? Bacon, eggs, chicken, will be high in calories, what is the fat content like? I wouldn't worry too much about the balsamic vinaigrette though, are there any other items in the salad that make it dense in calories?

Are the cooked items done in a high calorie way? I'd suggest just having a lot less of it, removing bacon and eggs, having the chicken grilled like you suggested.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What's the "non healthy" lower cal food?

Really anything, omelettes, burgers, pancakes, sandwiches, french fries, chicken, just depends on the meal.

What's unhealthy about the omelets and chicken?

Yep... None of those sound really unhealthy to me, especially if they're lower cal than the salad. Not that french fries are all that healthy, but I think there's probably more nutrition in a sandwich and fries for less than 800 calories than a salad that's over 800 calories.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    eat part of the salad or leave off the high calorie ingredients. I would not opt for pancakes over salad
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to know what restaurant serves a salad that is 800 calories without dressing. LOL

-=Cough=- Red Robin -=Cough=-
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It's the chicken that's causing the problem. Just go with the salad -- spinach, veggies, etc. no cheese, no meat, no dressing. That's the healthiest option. Plus, all of those aforementioned items are bad for you.

Actually, they're not 'bad for you' per se - dairy, lean proteins and certain fats are essential for health - it's a case of moderation required. I'd keep the chicken, vegetables, a small amount of cheese and bacon, and stick to a simple dressing - olive oil and balsamic vinegar, for example. I can't quite see how a chicken salad can be 1600 cals without dressing. Unless it's all deep-fried...Are you sure the dressing has been included? A full meal at 600-700 calories (which sounds more likely) sounds like a good deal to me, and the protein will keep you full.
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Bob Evans as a waiter so I had the same problem. I just ordered the salmon and got two sides of broccoli, it filled me up.

Omelets are not "bad" for you, you just have to fill them with the correct things. :wink:
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Two words... Special Prep. You work in a restaurant. You know all the ingredients that they have. Make up your own salad. Take in your own dressing if you have to or just use oil and vinegar. :flowerforyou:
  • sunnykt
    sunnykt Posts: 66
    Options
    I refuse to believe that a salad without dressing that is 800 calories is still a "salad". And would refute its 'health' status. Salad doesn't necessarily mean 'healthy'.
    I'd opt for whatever fills you up best on the least cal and most nutrition. It's a balancing beam.
    Take out the carbs- the croutons or the Asian noodles and crap (including any bacon it might contain) and that should help.
    Same as what everyone else said... And I like the idea of doing 'special prep' if you can...
    Otherwise I'd actually vote on "f**k the restaurant" and try to bring your own foods as much as possible, whenever possible. Cut up a carrot and pack an apple everyday for work, and if you want more eat HALF a serving of whatever you feel like.

There ain't no such thing as a 'free meal'.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I would pick the high-cal salad every time. Because low-cal non-healthy foods will lead me to binging later on when I'm excessively hungry for more calories.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Well not all omelettes are bad, like I said it depends on the dish and type, I am fine with getting a healthy omelette made of egg whites, but I also love salads. And already eat eggs for breakfast most days. I like the suggestions I Have gotten and perhaps I do just need to substitute what I can =)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Can you just "create" your own salad from stuff they have there? How much chicken is on that salad like 10 ounces? I wouldn't recommend eating pancakes instead of salad. Just get the salad as customized as you can. 2 cups of spinach, 4 ounces of chicken and the eggs should be under 300 calories. Add 2 Tablespoons of salad dressing and you should be around 400 calories!

Unfortunately there is no "make your own salad" option =/. If there was I would probably be in better shape. I think its less that 10oz, like 6-8. Ill have to try this idea and just substitute what I can. Ty all for your suggestions!

Yeah, if there are 6-8 ounces of chicken, you should definitely just half the salad. Is there a lot of cheese on it or something like that? I can't see what would make it that high! Good luck!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    When I was a cook and one of my front of house staff came to me with a request- I was happy to help. They tipped out didn't they? Why would I not want them in top shape and making more money?

Special prep all the way. Just talk to them and let them know you want something special-

I'm absolutely fascinated by this 800 cal salad. I assume eggs, chicken (fried), cheese, bacon and some hidden fat like almond slivers or some such.

Figure out what you like about salad- is it the lettuce and chicken? Then load on up on that. Toss some cheese in there and you'll be good to go. Take a few moments and enter in your ideas for salad based on the ingredients you know the kitchen has- enter that into MFP and create a salad that works for you.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    they probably won't let her create her own...the place I work doesn't (officially, anyway....) I usually get one of our healthier salads, but just half of it....either I split it with someone else, or just throw half away (yeah, that kills me too....). Or I order a side salad with a side of one of the meats on it. Get to know your cooks...they usually are happy to help you.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I used to be a server, and had this same issue. I worked at Chilis. I would get the quesadilla explosion salad, but without dressing, tortilla strips, cheese and mini quesadillas. I WOULD use a little balsalmic vinaigrette. It was decent. I would also doctor a side salad. So, a piece of grilled chicken, a side salad with no cheese, add pico de gallo for zing.... put chicken on top.

I would sometimes get a side of black beans, a "side car" (guac, sour cream, pico and cheese) and make my own Black bean soft tacos.

Most of the time hodge-podgeing together a meal was the best option.

Then I got a job a a fine dining restaurant and it was GREAT. I could get a half order of grilled salmon with grilled veggies, or sweet talk the salad guys into letting me make my own salad...
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to know what restaurant serves a salad that is 800 calories without dressing. LOL

-=Cough=- Red Robin -=Cough=-

-=Cough=- Yummmm -=Cough=-

If you are exhausted some days half way through your shift and need to refuel, pancakes might not necessarily be a bad choice. You need carbs sometimes. And if you are only halfway through your shift, you're going to burn them off anyway.

And Omelettes are the greatest food imaginable. :love:
  • rachelgoutos
    Options
    "Salad" is completely meaningless. What is in it that equals 800 calories? It could be healthy or completely unhealthy. You can't assume it's healthy just because it's called salad.

This! Not all salads are healthy. Just becuase its called a salad, doesn;t mean its a better meal option. You would be better off getting something else that has lower calories and fat. I would also look at the overall nutritional value of the options you like to eat, and east what is filling and have overall better nutrition. Don't forget to look at the fat content as well as calories. Calories you can easily earn more of through exercise. Just becuase something has more claories, doesn;t mean it couldnt also be lower in fat, cholesteral, sodium, etc.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely go talk to the chef, hard if your shy but I'm sure they'd accomodate you if you mentioned your trying to be healthy and loose weight. X
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would not opt for pancakes over salad

I would. Not every day, but I just loooooove pancakes! :love: