Frustrated - 17 Day Diet, 14 days in, and have gained!

Options
13»

Replies

• mdoane17
    mdoane17 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

The name "17 day diet" can be deceiving. It is actually a life-long diet, but has four 17 day cycles. The first 17 days (Cycle 1) is the toughest. The next 17 days (Cycle 2) allows a little more variety , the next 17 days( Cycle 3) a little more, and then finally there is "Cycle 4" which is a maintenance phase. If by cycle 4 you aren't at your goal, you can repeat the first three cycles, or choose a cycle that you like out of the first three and stick with it.

I like it because it teaches portion control and healthy foods. It also cuts out refined sugars and really limits processed carbs until cycle four when you add some back in if you want. You eat lean meats, lots of veggies & fruit. I'm on the first 17 day cycle which is the hardest, but where you should see most of the results -- which I'm not. No, I'm not expecting 30 lbs in 17 days. But I am expecting 5-7 lbs based on the restrictions in the first cycle.

I wanted a kickstart to my diet, which is why I decided to do this. If I get results, I am more likely to stick with it.

I am currently eating about 1200-1250 calories a day. I may try adding more calories for the next week to see if I get any results. If not, it will probably be back to calorie counting, and I'll check the link out posted above.
  • luv4whtroses
    Options
    I don't know anything about the 17 day diet either. I do know that you have to watch eating yogurt. Some of it, alot have lots of carbs in it. If you are eating a lot of yogurt this could be the problem. Fruit is not bad for you as long as it is natural and not packed in syrup.

Eat bananas, apples and strawberries and BLUEBERRIES. These are all great fruits to eat.

I did the blood type diet a couple years ago and just gained much of the weight back. However, my thyroid was giving me problems and that was a big portion of it plus I laid around all winter. Not good.

If you go pick up a box or can at the grocery store, don't look at the nutritian lable on it. Look at the ingredients label and if it says sugar in it, then put it back on the shelf. If you need sugar use Agave Syrup. You can get this at walmart.

Eat plenty of veggies. I take a cast iron skillet and put my dinner in it, chicken breast, corn and carrots. Then I put this in the oven for about 30 mins on 350. I put any spices on top of the chicken. I like to drizzle olive oil over all this. I put parsley flakes on the corn on the cob. When you bake the carrots they turn really sweet like sweet potatoes. I like to beke them until they are soft. Carrots are actually good for your body, especially your liver.

Above all, don't get discouraged. You can do this. One more question, are you exercising a lot? Did you take your measurements before and after? guess that is 2 questions.

Exercising can make you no lighter on the scales. You know the old saying, muscle is heavier than fat.

You may have lost inches vs pounds.

:heart:
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I echo the above posts, but let me add this thought to the mix. If you have managed to stick to as restricitive a "diet" for 14 days. Then you should have no issues using MFP to count and set some long-term substainable targets.

Look at it this way, it took longer than 17 days to put on, so slow and steady wins the race.
  • FinalOutrage
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

The name "17 day diet" can be deceiving. It is actually a life-long diet, but has four 17 day cycles. The first 17 days (Cycle 1) is the toughest. The next 17 days (Cycle 2) allows a little more variety , the next 17 days( Cycle 3) a little more, and then finally there is "Cycle 4" which is a maintenance phase. If by cycle 4 you aren't at your goal, you can repeat the first three cycles, or choose a cycle that you like out of the first three and stick with it.

I like it because it teaches portion control and healthy foods. It also cuts out refined sugars and really limits processed carbs until cycle four when you add some back in if you want. You eat lean meats, lots of veggies & fruit. I'm on the first 17 day cycle which is the hardest, but where you should see most of the results -- which I'm not. No, I'm not expecting 30 lbs in 17 days. But I am expecting 5-7 lbs based on the restrictions in the first cycle.

I wanted a kickstart to my diet, which is why I decided to do this. If I get results, I am more likely to stick with it.

I am currently eating about 1200-1250 calories a day. I may try adding more calories for the next week to see if I get any results. If not, it will probably be back to calorie counting, and I'll check the link out posted above.
    Is 1200 your net? If not, then you've been doing it wrong.

Edit: To keep from doing anymore damage to yourself in the long run, I suggest to just drop the diet altogether immediately. Losing weight as fast as the diet suggest will do nothing but make you skinny-fat.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I really don't know much about the 17 day diet except that it really isn't 17 days. If I understand correctly, it has multiple 17 day phases. However, it is still a short term diet. Whether "jump starting" or not, it's not sustainable. To truly achieve your long term goals, you need to develop a lifestyle that you can sustain. Restrictive dieting is not that lifestyle because of the guilt you feel for eating a piece of fruit or small dessert.

If you want this journey to be rewarding, stop the fad diets and just track 4 things on MFP. Calories are most important and then monitor carbs, fats and protein. That's it! If you can fit ice cream or cake or chocolate or whatever into those parameters, then don't stress over it.

Get a good exercise program that you like and will stick with. I suggest incorporating a heavy lifting program and some cardio.

Don't make this journey hard than it should be.

Good luck!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Surely not!!!! 30 pounds in 17 days is a daily deficit of over 6,000 calories - physically impossible really

The 17 day diet is a diet that rotates every 17 days so your body doesn't get used to the routine and it will (in theory) help you loose weight easier.
  • FinalOutrage
    Options
    I really don't know much about the 17 day diet except that it really isn't 17 days. If I understand correctly, it has multiple 17 day phases. However, it is still a short term diet. Whether "jump starting" or not, it's not sustainable. To truly achieve your long term goals, you need to develop a lifestyle that you can sustain. Restrictive dieting is not that lifestyle because of the guilt you feel for eating a piece of fruit or small dessert.

If you want this journey to be rewarding, stop the fad diets and just track 4 things on MFP. Calories are most important and then monitor carbs, fats and protein. That's it! If you can fit ice cream or cake or chocolate or whatever into those parameters, then don't stress over it.

Get a good exercise program that you like and will stick with. I suggest incorporating a heavy lifting program and some cardio.

Don't make this journey hard than it should be.

Good luck!

QFT x1000
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started the 17 Day Diet a few weeks ago. I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you.

But it was very slow going on the weight loss for the first week. Then I joined MFP and learned a lot more about what my body needs.

1200 calories was too few for me and no carbs was wrong too. I have since abandoned the 17 Day Diet and I'm eating clean, wholesome foods and aiming for more calories. I have started dropping weight now.

I say toss the book and just eat healthy and clean, with appropriate portions. MFP is the way to go. I've lost 6lbs in 2 weeks and I credit this site for that loss and the knowledge I have gained.
  • mdoane17
    mdoane17 Posts: 3
    Options
    I started the 17 Day Diet on March 12. I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you.

But it was very slow going on the weight loss for the first week. Then I joined MFP and learned a lot more about what my body needs.

1200 calories was too few for me and no carbs was wrong too. I have since abandoned the 17 Day Diet and I'm eating clean, wholesome foods and aiming for more calories. I have started dropping weight now.

I say toss the book and just eat healthy and clean, with appropriate portions. MFP is the way to go. I've lost 6lbs in 2 weeks and I credit this site for that loss and the knowledge I have gained.

Thank you Slice1. This makes sense. Every where I searched, I was finding message boards with people having great results on this, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't. Now that I know I'm not alone, I can see that maybe this diet works differently for people.
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started the 17 Day Diet on March 12. I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you.

Thank you Slice1. This makes sense. Every where I searched, I was finding message boards with people having great results on this, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't. Now that I know I'm not alone, I can see that maybe this diet works differently for people.

I think only the really successful people post a lot and that's why we can only find rave reviews. And that seems to be the people that have more to lose than we do. If you have lots to lose, it comes off quickly.

I've reintroduced carbs into my life (good, healthy carbs) and I'm feeling better, more energetic and losing a little bit each day (even if it's only a few ounces)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you think that 3 pieces of fruit after 2pm, 2 half packets of sugar, and a 50 calorie square of cake are the reasons for gaining weight, I'm not sure what I can tell you that will convince you that DIETS ARE BAD. The fact that you don't have success - long-lasting or at all - should tell you that you need to figure out what works: a balanced diet that contains food you love, at a moderate caloric deficit, and plenty of water and exercise.
  • andyp__710
    Options
    I was 300 pounds and i got on this diet. exercised for an hour every day went through the cycles 4 times and now am at my goal weight of 180 and have been maintaining for awhile. if you follow this diet it will be impossible for you to gain weight because it doesn't allow you to eat enough calories in the first cycle. i don't see how this isn't working for you if you are truly sticking to it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It's already been said but... Don't make it so complicated!

Enter your stats and goals into MFP, weigh and measure your food and log accurately & honestly, eat your allotted calories.

Try to move more and consider strength training but those are not necessary if that's a problem, just helpful.

Be patient.

That's it. No other rules. No hoops to jump through. No book to buy.

There are countless people here with tickers way more impressive than mine who have done it this way. Good luck! :drinker: