Is MyFitnessPal better than Facebook?

Options

Replies

• jazzykay1971
    Options
    I do think it is! I deleted my FB months ago, too much drama and negative things!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think it is only because not many of my friends & family get a rat's behind about my calorie intake and workouts. People who aren't doing things to better their life often resent those who are and I don't need that drama
  • danagettinfit
    danagettinfit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for friends that want to join me for workouts forever, there have been a few ive talked into exercising with me only to have them tell me i was too hardcore even when i toned it down considerably for them. At least those ones are supportive, most othrs just dont get it at all or are hating on a healthy girl! On mfp i found a home! Of course that eing said i havnt really been out there in situations to make new like minded friends so ive been relying on the chilhood ones, it seems as though its time for a new trend:)
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I actually spend more time on MFP now than i do on Facebook. I think because we all share a common goal, it makes it more beneficial. I wouldn't like to post on Facebook statuses all the time about my weight loss journey and my questions etc as i know people would get tired of it very quickly. On MFP however it's ok though because that's the whole point of the site and i think it is excellent. Very helpful indeed.

I also like to read about other people's experiences of weight loss, seeing transformation pictures etc. Motivational. :-)

^^^^ This. And I also wish MFP had a "like" button so I could agree with Joannie30 without having to quote her. LOL
  • pmficu_Pam
    Options
    Better for you THAT'S FOR SURE!!
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    IS IT!? What are your thoughts because I think it is.:drinker:

Yes, because it's objective orientated. All facebook is is a portal for people I don't care about or haven't talked to in 15 years to find me and snoop into what I've been up to.

To be honest I think facebook has the potential to ruin lives. Kids are to young and dumb to appreciate the consequences of some of the stupid things they type (and pictures posted) on there and future employers/colleges are now making judgments based on what's on a person's facebook.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I am completely addicted to MFP . I log on here at least 3 times a day. I used to be on FB all the time, now I will just get on it for a few minutes to see if anything is going on and then back to MFP!
  • carrie1013
    carrie1013 Posts: 129
    Options
    Absolutely! I dont even have a fb account anymore
  • Butterfly8371
    Options
    I believe My Fitness Pal is so much better than Facebook. We are doing something great together. Mot of us have the same goal, that is to get fit and feel better about ourselves while changing unhealthy choices for better ones. There is a sense of purpose here, motivating and encouraging one another while encouraging and motivating ourselves too.:wink:
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My use of MFP has changed

It used to be calorie counting

But now with the ease of barcode scanning what you eat and the forums I am finding it more useful.

I can very easily track what I eat and now more importantly the macros

I find the forums interesting because it is not about weight but it is about the psychological issues people experience along the way and I find these very interesting and quite adictive

It's like a way of managing the science experiment of health that is going on in my life -- facebook is where to go to hear people bleat on about how unhappy they are there weight loss is failing
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    WELL I THINK MFP IS BETTER FOR A FEW REASONS ONE IT ISN'T BLOCKED AT WORK YET, TWO I SPEND MORE TIME ON MFP THAN FACEBOOK, ALSO I DON'T KNOW BUT ONE PERSON ON MFP PERSONALLY SO THERE IS NO WORRYING WHAT I POST OR WHAT I SAY BECAUSE ALTHOUGH I HAVE MANY FRIENDS ON HERE I DON'T KNOW THEM AND PROBABLY NEVER WILL SO THERE IS NO SHAME ALSO THERE ARE NO DUMB *kitten* GAMES ON MFP
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that my work place doesn't block MFP (yet) where they do FB.... I would say they both serve different purposes... and thus have their own strengths and weaknesses.... Lately, I use both pretty equally.

I agree. So far, my place of employment has not blocked MFP (keep waiting for them to), but FB is blocked. I have a lot of personal friends on my FB, wheras most of the friends I have on here, I do not know personally. I still enjoy my FB also along with this one.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't go on facebook much,anymore. This is the first one I go to.Wish it had a like buttonthough,when I write on my pal's walls.
  • MrsValentine
    MrsValentine Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    MFP got it going on.. This is the spot..Love it. I just login to fb, just to log right out..
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I used to be really addicted to Facebook but as soon as I decided to kick my butt in shape I am on MFP more than Facebook. I never thought that would happen! :-)

Same with me. If I am going to be addicted to something, I prefer it be good health and exercise :)
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    People are real on MFP. People on fb are fake so everybody will think they have a perfect life, fb is more of a bragging place. I don't have fb anymore, i like MFP way more!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that my work place doesn't block MFP (yet) where they do FB.... I would say they both serve different purposes... and thus have their own strengths and weaknesses.... Lately, I use both pretty equally.

My place of employment also blocks FB, but not MFP....for that I use MFP waaaaaay more!

It doesn't bother me any because I'm not getting requests to milk cows or fight the mafia on here, ha-ha!

Your comment about the game apps had me laughing out loud, hehe. I got addicted to that darned Cityville for a while, but stopped all games completely on there. Takes up too much time.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Haha, very few of my friends IRL are on here, so I kinda need both, but I have definitely started being here a lot more than FB. Helps that it's not blocked at work ;)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    IS IT!? What are your thoughts because I think it is.:drinker:

Is a hammer better than a screwdriver?

The question doesn't make sense. They have two different purposes.
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What's Facebook??? lol, I closed my FB account. The MFPeep's are all I need!!! Love you guys!