Humor -Growing up without a Cell Phone

Options

Replies

• jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm 32. I brought a TI-99/4a computer and Atari 2600 to work last week. Half of the people here had never heard of the TI nor seen a 2600 in person...

Of course, then I had to go to Radio Shack to get adapters that would work with a coaxial input because our TVs no longer have VHF. lmao!

Great post.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    HEY...DO YALL REMEMBER ALL THE DIALS ON THE TELEPHONE...AND IF YOU MESSED UP. YOU HAVE TO HANG UP THE TELEPHONE AND REDIAL 7 NUMBERS AGAIN....HA HA
    Ha ha yes!! I knew a girl who had one of these babies, (hers was pink), and was jealous that she had a cool phone in her room!
    imagesCA69BS09.jpg
  • dibley_98
    dibley_98 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    cassette-tape-and-pencil-li.jpg

At 43, I can relate to it all and this one actually made me LOL!

Thanks for the trip...
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    This is a fun thread. Just remembered my son once telling me how different it must've been for me growing up. He told me "at least you didn't have guys with makeup w/girls names like Marilyn Manson."

Alice Cooper anyone? :laugh:
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our *kitten*! Nowhere was safe!

I think this is the perfect one to reply to since it was already criticized. :laugh:

I recall my elementary school principal having a paddle, and my parents filled out the permission slip for him to use it if necessary.

Also, we had a ping pong table in our basement was never able to use it because my mother broke all the paddles on our @ss.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Something that came in my email box. :smile:

If you are 36, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning....Uphill... Barefoot...BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our *kitten*! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our
    favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOSH!!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! Wehad the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and
    faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your *kitten* and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!
    NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-*kitten*!

12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!

See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,

The Over 40 Crowd

WITNESS!! Can I get an Amen?
  • knowkeys
    knowkeys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I forgot about vinyl cd's - 16 1/2, 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I'm 29 and remember this!! I still do the Safety Arm, even to My Dad, and We have Our seat belts on... : D
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options

Yup. Many times!

JM
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Great stuff, thanks OP.

I am 50. When I was growing up, we did not have a dishwasher (except for my sister & I), no dryer for our clothes, no microwave. Mom was afraid of our first microwave oven...lol.

I learned to drive in a car with no power steering, no power windows & locks, no air conditioning with only a AM radio in it. :ohwell:

Who remembers CB radios? How about a deck of cards clipped to your bike spokes? Someone mentioned typewriters...when I was in college, that's how our term papers were done. Ah, so many memories, thanks OP. Yea, I am old like that. :tongue:

When we moved back stateside (my dad was in the military) and we got our first car... it was a late 80's (I believe or very early 90's) conversion van that had a CB radio in it... on our road trip to our next duty station, mom and dad would talk to the truckers with it... *lol* They would also listen to it so they could avoid the speed traps :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your *kitten* and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!
    NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

I have often use the line. "I didn't have a TV remote when I was your age, If I want the channel changed I had to punch your uncle (ie my little brother) in the arm"

You know what was worse? A show that came on that you had to miss because of school or work. DVR was not around!

How did we watch anything before DVR's?
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    Not only did I grow up without a remote, my folks did not get a color TV until I went to college. Secondly, I went trough undergrad, grad, and post grad school without ONCE accessing the internet.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    They still sell these -
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&q=fisher+price+telephone&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=664&wrapid=tlif133278885918610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=159275861287024916&sa=X&ei=tL5wT8jkA8GImQWEzs22Bg&ved=0CHEQ8wIwAA#

someone gave my son one for his first Christmas... not like he'd know what to do with a rotary phone now anyway. What about the 8track converter? the stereo bigger than a hope chest? my parents had some HUGE stereo thing, it was a record player and 8 track combined..with cabinet doors that opened in front of the speakers.. they had an 8 track/cassette converter thing - so we could listen to our cassettes in the big stereo. lol
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Oh my! all you young folk! lol! typewriters weren't electric, computers were big honkin' things that took up a whole room in an office building. Before cassette tapes & 8-Tracks we had reel to reel tape machines, we didn't have texting but we had phones that were on a party line. Girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school & that was a regular public school & we said the morning prayer. And all the food was from local farmers, without additives & hormone injections. We didn't need to lock our doors or car at night & gasoline was .60 cents a gallon. The best Concert tickets for the Beatles, Stones & the rest of the British invasion were $6.50, those are the best memories.

Yes! I remember party lines and nobody ever locked their doors. I remember when the Beattles became famous my mom discustedly called them long hairs. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: We only had one channel on the tv and the shows were black and white. Also, we had rabbit ears on the tv to adjust the picture. We took baths in a galvanized tub because we didn't have indoor plumbing. A lot of good memories. Ahhh, those were the good old days. :bigsmile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: Yup!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm only 20, and although some of those things were around when I was a kid, my parents stuck to the old fashioned way. We had to stay outside and play, we didn't have gaming systems, cell phones, or any of those kinds of things. We didn't have MP3 players and we looked up project research in the Encyclopedia. xD I turned out fine. haha.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I used love the TV guide!

When the internet hit -- Dial UP -- parents used to yell at me for staying up late cause they heard the damn thing going...

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep jeo5ur23ruafoweaj beeeeeeeeeeeeeep KSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Life was so much simpler back then.
  • caramel1920
    caramel1920 Posts: 271
    Options
    Well I am 41 and I remember all of that...I have a hospital file bigger then most...because it was more fun to play outside breaking bones and being crazy...then doing chores...

Me too! I didn't break any bones but I did have a few fractures, sprangs, and dislocations!!!!:laugh:
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    LOL, loved this, thanks for posting.

Brings back memories. I grew up in the country and we had a telephone partyline. That was rough when the teen years hit, ha.
    Some days I wish there would be a world wide technology blackout...wonder how many minutes before sheer panic would set in for so many! :tongue: This also reminds me of stories about the younger crowd and when their car keyless remote dies...and they can't figure out how to get into their car. Um, use the KEY!! :laugh: