How to transition from treadmill to outdoor running

Options
Hi there,

I love to run as I see it as the ultimate workout, I always get a great sense of achievement from doing so and my ultimate goal is to complete the London marathon. I run on a treadmill 1-2 times a week and think I’m pretty decent for the 6 months I’ve been running (ran 8 5k's; PB 25mins) plus I’m getting better every week.

I go for walks outside almost daily and always try to run a bit but I last no longer than 20secs then I can’t do anymore, I can’t breathe correctly and my muscles get tight (this is just at jogging speeds). I just find this strange I’ve ran for 40mins on the treadmill without stopping.

I really would like to transition from indoor running to outdoor. Has anyone had the same experience or can offer any advice?

Replies

• twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes I also have this problem and have wondered what I can do. I can last hours on the treadmill but a mere 1-2 minutes outside. It's embarassing. I have tried to practice endurance running so hard but still can't run like this outside. ugh.
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to this as well. I have experienced the same thing in the past.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone in this! Hope someone can give some advice.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What type of incline are you running on using the treadmill? Most treadmills are set so that if you run with 0 incline it is slightly downhill. If you would like to mirror the outdoors, I suggest you increase the incline on the machine to 1 or 2.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    bump

I rock the treadmill but suck when running on pavement =[
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Start with a run / walk interval. Maybe 1/1 or 1/2 will. Help you
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K program it really works
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I'm just the opposite. I can run much longer outside than on the treadmill (*yawn*...boring...). Try intervals and work on lengthening the running portion each time you go out. Good luck.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too! I did read somewhere to run on an incline of 1 or 1.5 on the treadmill to prepare yourself for outdoor running. Not sure how true this is! Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how hard on the body even the littlest hills can be when jogging. Maybe try adding a slight incline on the treadmill and see if you have a similar problem.

Do you have allergies? It could be something in the outdoor air giving you the trouble breathing. With the early break in the weather, pollen is out of control. An over the counter anti-histamine might help. You can develop allergies at any age.

You also may need to stretch more for outdoor running than indoor. The more the better in my opinion.
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to get some good advice for this. I have a marathon (relay) coming up in June and can rock my segment on the treadmill, but have tried 3 times to replicate on the road and holy crap! it's not working out as I'd hoped. help!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I'm just the opposite. I can run much longer outside than on the treadmill (*yawn*...boring...). Try intervals and work on lengthening the running portion each time you go out. Good luck.

That's how I am, as well, however when I run outside I do mostly trail running. When I try to run on pavement, I can't go for nearly as long as on the trail, just due to the hardness of the road vs the softness of trail.

Basically, you're just gonna have to keep at it. When you switch from on medium to another, your body has to get used to it just like it had to get used to running altogether. I would try the intervals as well, that's what really helped me with my distances. London marathon is an awesome goal!
  • Lori1472
    Lori1472 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I run outside and on the treadmill. When I started running outside, I felt the same as you. The best way to get better at running outside is doing it more often. If you only last 20 sec than just do those 20 sec but do it often throughout your walk. The next week do 30 sec and so on. The reason the treadmill isn't like running outside is because the treadmill kind of helps you because it's moving where as running outside there's nothing helping you except yourself. The benefit in running outside once you've gotten better at it is when you go back to the treadmill it'll be alot easier for you.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am just the opposite! I love running outdoors but HATE the treadmill!! just cant do it! But I would say start a run/walk program like hal higdon and just take it one day at time! Find you a scenic route with some nice thing to destract you and before you know it you will be an outdoor nut!!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    C25K outside?????????? might help you build up to running outside..
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have started running outdoors and it feels great but I can't seem to get the rhythm on the treadmill. The weather here will require I move inside when the heat of summer hits and I don't want to lose the progress I have made running outside.

I need tips going the other direction....outside to treadmill. :)
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    You'd be surprised how hard on the body even the littlest hills can be when jogging. Maybe try adding a slight incline on the treadmill and see if you have a similar problem.

I agree
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Same here! I'm about halfway through Couch 2 5k, and I tried running outside for the first time on Friday. It went horribly. I couldn't figure out how to pace myself and I was out of breath in less than two minutes. Truth be told, the only thing that kept me running that long was not wanting to look silly in front of my neighbor, who was out on his porch. ;P
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think you need to fight through it... i think you are out of your comfy zone and it's something different.. Clearly you have the cardio but you get nervous when it doesn't feel the same. I bet you, you are even running faster outside and that will feel different.

Like someone else mentioned run 1 min and walk 2, or whatever you want, but i really think you can do it, you just need to do it..

I have been running for years and for whatever reason the first few minutes of all my runs seem to be the hardest. Once i get past the first 5mins it seems normal. I am not going to say it's easy but it doesn't seem as hard as the first few minutes.