How to transition from treadmill to outdoor running

Options

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Honestly, most treadmills have a similar impact to that of road running... As long as you've been simulating outside running with a slight incline you'll probably find it as easy or easier. My experience anyway. I did all my 10km training last year on a treadmill until the final week where I did 2 runs outside... a 5km and a 7.5km...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My daughter sent me a good article from Shape.com just the other day on FB (she is currently making the transition from treadmill to pavement for a 5 k in a few months). It had some great tips.

ETA: adding link to Shape.com article.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/dont-make-these-mistakes-when-running-outdoors
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just went and did it. Nothing special. i just went outside instead of to the gym one day. In my experience, running outdoors is more difficult though, because of hills, headwinds, etc. However, I also tend to run faster and push myself more because I don't know how fast I'm going. Maybe you just need to slow your pace a little while you transition?
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What type of incline are you running on using the treadmill? Most treadmills are set so that if you run with 0 incline it is slightly downhill. If you would like to mirror the outdoors, I suggest you increase the incline on the machine to 1 or 2.

I never knew treadmills were slightly down hill. For my next session I will set it to 1% then work up to 2. Thanks!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have started running outdoors and it feels great but I can't seem to get the rhythm on the treadmill. The weather here will require I move inside when the heat of summer hits and I don't want to lose the progress I have made running outside.

I need tips going the other direction....outside to treadmill. :)

While on the treadmill, instead of doing long non stop runs, try speed intervals. 2 min run 2 min jog/walk
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to run on a treadmill than it is outside. To prepare yourself, definitely up the incline on the treadmill while you are running. When you are running outside you have wind resistance, hills, and no belt to help push your feet. I would suggest that you slow down when you run outside and go at a comfortable pace (you shouldn't be struggling to breathe). You will get used to it, but you will have to push yourself. Walk/run intervals are also a good idea. Good luck!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I'm so very impressed at how long you can last on the treadmill!!! I can run for an hour outside, but about 20 minutes on the treadmill....that's crazy!

Stuff that works for me outside:

Dress comfortably

Good music

A mapped out route so that I know how far I'm going and how long I should be out.

I prefer dirt roads and am lucky enough to live on one....the pavement is a bit tougher on your knees and feet.

A friend helps me run further and faster.

My pace is always slower outside, but that's expected.

And honestly, the first few minutes or getting past the first mile always seems to be tricky, but once I get there, I'm usually good, so push yourself, you'll love it!!!
  • twilight_princess
    Options
    You'd be surprised how hard on the body even the littlest hills can be when jogging. Maybe try adding a slight incline on the treadmill and see if you have a similar problem.

You also may need to stretch more for outdoor running than indoor. The more the better in my opinion.

I have been trying this, but I guess I need to perservere.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you starting off on a hill or even a slight incline when outdoor? I find that makes me work harder right off the bat. I can do it after I've been running for a while but if it's rightaway I get winded quickly. Try walking 5 min and then start a slow jog. That's how couch25k program has it and somehow it helps if you start off with walking.
  • twilight_princess
    Options
    I run outside and on the treadmill. When I started running outside, I felt the same as you. The best way to get better at running outside is doing it more often. If you only last 20 sec than just do those 20 sec but do it often throughout your walk. The next week do 30 sec and so on. The reason the treadmill isn't like running outside is because the treadmill kind of helps you because it's moving where as running outside there's nothing helping you except yourself. The benefit in running outside once you've gotten better at it is when you go back to the treadmill it'll be alot easier for you.

Thanks for good advice!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would agree with intervals/C25K program and doing some treadmill workouts with an incline. It doesn't seem that much different but it is actually a lot harder to run outside. I definitely felt a difference when I started outside but now I like it so much better ! It just takes some getting used to so start out slow with intervals (which is why C25K program is perfect) so you can build up your endurance and ability to run outside.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I was stunned to realize how much different running outside is. There were three things that helped me transition the two, although I still go much further on the treadmill, I can do two miles on pavement now. I'd love to work it up more, but life hasn't allowed for it.
    Anyway, first off, pay attention to your pacing. I wanted to go so much faster on the pavement, I was winded almost right away. So find a song that has a strong beat that matches your comfortable treadmill speed, and listen to that when you start out running outside.
    Second, don't forget to breath. It sounds silly, but I got so excited I forgot to pay attention to my breathing.
    Third, start putting the treadmill on an incline of at least 1. I read somewhere (shrug as to where) that when you run on a treadmill, you are just sorta hopping your body along with the moving track, you aren't actually having to propel yourself. If you tilt that track up just a bit, it helps you get used to the bit more work that outside calls for.
    Don't give up. It's so much easier to stop when you are running outside, which makes it that much harder to push through the same barriers that we push through on the treadmill, just because while running outside we don't have the chance to yell at ourselves when in a moment of weakness we reach for the button to slow down. Outside, we can just stop, so it's harder not to. I hope that makes sense...
    I'm sure that there are a bunch of other tips, and I hope someone posts them, but as a newbie runner these were the best for me.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Slow down when you're outside...

Seriously, there's no secret...when you're a new runner, you need to slow down..
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Like someone else said earlier, you may not know how fast you're running when outside. I noticed that I was running faster outside than on the treadmill when I'd finish a mile faster outside than on the treadmill.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Like a static bike is different to riding a real bike, a treadmill is different to actually running. Road running is different to trail running and hill sprints are different to track sprints!

Rather then me explaining the physics of this, here is a link from a very well informed chap ;)
    http://training.fitness.com/running-cycling/treadmill-vs-outdoor-running-49427.html

If you want to get good at something, do it, not a "version" of it! I can kickbox with my heavy bag all day, but isn't going to improve my fighting skills in all areas. I'll just get good at hitting the bag ;)

If you want to get good at running, run at the discipline you require. If you want to improve your cardio, treadmills can help :)

I've leave you with Bruce Lee ;)

Bruce Lee:If you want to learn to swim jump into the water. On dry land no frame of mind is ever going to help you.
  • JJNette76
    JJNette76 Posts: 11
    Options
    I was told by our fitness people at the gym that to mimic running outside you need to put the treadmill incline at a 6 or greater. I used to run on the treadmill all the time and then when I switched to the track I was winded and slower. The treadmill helps you run so you can run longer but outside you have to use your own momentum. Finally, I just gave up the treadmill and began running outside or on a track...walk/run at first as best I could and then just kept increasing the running part of it until I could run longer and faster without walking.

In the winter I end up back on the treadmill and then in the spring I'm back outside or on the track....slower and not in as good of condition but I get it back. Keep pushing yourself outside when running you'll get up the endurance.

Oh and don't forget to breathe....get a rythem to your breathing that is comfortable and it will help you out.
  • twilight_princess
    Options
    Same here! I'm about halfway through Couch 2 5k, and I tried running outside for the first time on Friday. It went horribly. I couldn't figure out how to pace myself and I was out of breath in less than two minutes. Truth be told, the only thing that kept me running that long was not wanting to look silly in front of my neighbor, who was out on his porch. ;P

LOL!
  • tinkteri
    tinkteri Posts: 63
    Options
    I have the very same problem...I'm glad you posted this question.

Teri
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the thread but most likely you're trying to run too fast. Its easy to pace yourself on the treadmill because its adjustable and it tells you how fast you're going.

When you're out running most people have a tendency to try and run fast(er). Slow down.
  • twilight_princess
    Options
    I think you need to fight through it... i think you are out of your comfy zone and it's something different.. Clearly you have the cardio but you get nervous when it doesn't feel the same. I bet you, you are even running faster outside and that will feel different.

Like someone else mentioned run 1 min and walk 2, or whatever you want, but i really think you can do it, you just need to do it..

I have been running for years and for whatever reason the first few minutes of all my runs seem to be the hardest. Once i get past the first 5mins it seems normal. I am not going to say it's easy but it doesn't seem as hard as the first few minutes.

This probably might be what I do.