"No one who does only cardio looks good"

Options

Replies

• littleprim
    littleprim Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i don't believe it's true.and i think it's a REALLY hurtful and cruel thing to assert! so don't listen to that.if you want to look a certain way you do what you need to get there.some looks require lots of strength training, toning, etc.and some looks require just cardio.like if you want to look tight and toned and buff etc, you need strength training.but if that's not important to you then you can just do cardio get some endorphins going, feel good, and be done with it.everyone looks good when they are happy and if cardio makes you happy and you don't feel you need anything else then you look GREAT doing just cardio :)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is from my personal experiences. I used to be a cardio queen. Oh yeah, I lost weight. :) But I was still the same version of me! Just a little smaller. I still had the same *kitten*, hips wider than my shoulders, scrawny arms etc. Basically, no matter how much cardio I did, I was never happy with my appearance. Even when I tried adding in "toning" exercises...

Now I lift heavy, I do very little cardio.. I eat more food! AND I am happier with how I look. My shoulders/back are getting wider - more proportionate with my hips. My big bum and my big thighs I always hated, I now LOVE looking at in the mirror when I do my Goblet Squats, lunges etc.

Weightlifting have made me LOVE my body. Cardio never ever did that. I did cardio for YEARS, and I have only been lifting heavy for about 6 months.
    'that's great!
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

You are referring only to running? Or all cardio? Not sure that I've ever seen a male swimmer and thought "gee- he needs to lift weights"...

o-push-the-limit-in-michael-phelps-.jpg

Most if not all pros no matter what sport do some kind of lifting even dancers lift
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I also disagree. Each persons body and looks are specific to them. I do lots of cardio and compared to some women on mfp mild strength training. My legs are muscular and "toned" because genetically that's how I am. I could make myself look like a female body builder rather easily because that's how my body is genetically. I am built like a tiny draft horse.

No ones body is the same on the same exercise plan. No one will ever look the exact same cookie cutter shape as someone else. Not everyone wants to look exactly the same.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I would refer you to this link:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

At least go down to the pictures, see her at 117, 132, and 147. Decide for yourself what "looks best"

The pic of her at 117 is very blurry and her belly is covered, but overall I don't see a whole lot of difference. She looks good at 117 and she looks good at 130. Arms and legs don't look that much difference. Tummy looks flat in both pics. Maybe more ab definition at 130, but since they are covered in the 117 pic there is no way to know. Even at 142 I don't see that much difference. She looks fine in all the pics to me.

At 142, she has major definition around her abs and hips. Honestly, for MY body, I prefer the 130 photo to the 142. And as you said, the 117 is covered up and blurry.

I agree that the 117 is blurry, but I can still tell she is "skinny" but almost underfed looking in that one (look at the collar bones, seriously there is a lot of bone there and not a whole lot of muscle). 130 looks healthier to me and 142, she looks like a rock star (again, compare the collarbones here and see that beautiful definition. She doesn't look underweight but healthy)!! I see big differences, but I think the point of the article is also how she feels and how much better she feels about where she is now and how her choices are much healthier, and doable.

We try to starve ourselves to lose weight and run like mad on the treadmill to feel better about how we look but we just walk around hungry all of the time. I do cardio, but I don't enjoy it, and while I recognize that it helps some, I know that strength training is where it is at to really build up muscle to burn the fat and to get in shape, not just skinny. Plus it is so much more enjoyable than just running on a treadmill (I have always hated running!). When I was in some of my best shape, I still did more strength training than cardio and any cardio I ever did was as quick as I could get it over with!
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bump
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    adding weights really make you look totally different, women wont get bulky unless they try to be body builders but weights help you look more toned, defined and you look good.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I do mostly cardio just to burn off some of the outer layer of fat so when I do start to do alot of weight training the muscle will show thru.

fyi, strength training NOW helps burn off MORE FAT.

I've never understood this idea. so many people say oh I'll do strength training when i lose more weight. NO -- DO IT NOW, do it always! muscle burns more calories than fat. period. Cardio is great, but you should strength trainin at least a couple days a week - no one wants to be skinny fat.

Yup! Every pound of fat you lose and replace with muscle nets you something like 4 calories extra per day, though the extra weight will put more stress on your organs and will increase the amount of calories you burn during cardio a little.

Are you sure you don't just mean skinny? Regardless, if you do a lot of cardio but eat over your TDEE, you're still going to gain fat. Same with lifting.
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    Wow. This is not true at all. This is purely opinion. There are plenty of people who look great and don't even pay attention to their exercise at all. Everyone is different, and everyone has their own opinion of what looking good is.
    Personally, I think super-muscular is never ever attractive and I purposely avoid doing a lot of lifting etc. because I do NOT want to have a six pack or look like Jillian Michaels. I used to do a bunch of sit-ups every day and I stopped doing them because I was getting too much definition in my abs.
    I think muscular often looks unnatural, firm and just unattractive. I'd rather hug the pillsbury doughboy than a professional wrestler, is all I'm saying. And that's MY opinion, just like anyone else's. You might only be attracted to people who are super-toned, but there definitely isn't any rule saying only muscular is attractive. I know plenty of people who agree with me.
    And whoever said women don't get big and muscular needs to take a look at Jillian Michaels or the scores of other women bodybuilders. Also, I doubt you ask every woman you see what her method of exercise is, and it's kind of ridiculous to say you've NEVER been attracted to a woman who only does cardio...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This was a silly argument the first time it came up.

It still is silly, the 10,871st time it's being brought up.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    situps don't give you definition in your abs.

and anyone who says they don't work out because they don't want to be ripped or look like a fitness model is clearly delusional. it takes hard work and dedication to look that way.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is not true at all. This is purely opinion. There are plenty of people who look great and don't even pay attention to their exercise at all. Everyone is different, and everyone has their own opinion of what looking good is.
    Personally, I think super-muscular is never ever attractive and I purposely avoid doing a lot of lifting etc. because I do NOT want to have a six pack or look like Jillian Michaels. I used to do a bunch of sit-ups every day and I stopped doing them because I was getting too much definition in my abs.
    I think muscular often looks unnatural, firm and just unattractive. I'd rather hug the pillsbury doughboy than a professional wrestler, is all I'm saying. And that's MY opinion, just like anyone else's. You might only be attracted to people who are super-toned, but there definitely isn't any rule saying only muscular is attractive. I know plenty of people who agree with me.
    And whoever said women don't get big and muscular needs to take a look at Jillian Michaels or the scores of other women bodybuilders. Also, I doubt you ask every woman you see what her method of exercise is, and it's kind of ridiculous to say you've NEVER been attracted to a woman who only does cardio...

Those people try to gain muscle. On a caloric deficit a woman will not bulk up, and even in a surplus it is difficult and takes years of training.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Even at 142 I don't see that much difference. She looks fine in all the pics to me.

But that's exactly what I find most amazing about it. You'd expect there to be a major difference in how she looks, since she weighs about 20 pounds more. I know how I looked at 20 pounds heavier than I was now, and while I looked ok and was happy with how I looked, I was noticeably bigger.

Now, personally, I don't want or need that much muscle or strength. I'm not going to be a powerlifter. But I'm much happier as a 130 pound person who can eat over 2000 calories a day, than have the same basic shape but less muscle at 115 pounds and have to "diet" to stay that size.
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    situps don't give you definition in your abs.

and anyone who says they don't work out because they don't want to be ripped or look like a fitness model is clearly delusional. it takes hard work and dedication to look that way.

Crunches...whatever they were. Or maybe I was just imagining my abs because I'm delusional.

I'm not stupid, I know you don't look like a bodybuilder accidentally. All I'm saying is that everyone has a different idea of what "good" looks like, and therefore has different methods of getting there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Those people try to gain muscle. On a caloric deficit a woman will not bulk up, and even in a surplus it is difficult and takes years of training.

So, if I lift I won't gain muscle? One more reason not to lift then, heh?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    adding weights really make you look totally different, women wont get bulky unless they try to be body builders but weights help you look more toned, defined and you look good.

This statement should be appended, for the average woman, lifting heavy weights won't make you get "bulkier"
    I also disagree. Each persons body and looks are specific to them. I do lots of cardio and compared to some women on mfp mild strength training. My legs are muscular and "toned" because genetically that's how I am. I could make myself look like a female body builder rather easily because that's how my body is genetically. I am built like a tiny draft horse.

But there are plenty of women who gain muscle mass easily and should tread with caution (on heavy weights) is it isn't the look they are going for,

But no matter what your "look" goals are, you should add some sort of strength training to build bone density and retain muscle mass. Strength training can mean heavy weights, light weights or body weight exercises. All are beneficial.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That right you wont gain, but if you don't lift you will lose muscle (if you are in a caloric deficit)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

please go away.
    you're the worst troll on these boards.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    While I think it is an overgeneralization and depends on personal preference as to what looks good-- I like my body composition a lot better now that I am doing some strength trainining-- I did cardio only for years to drop a lot of weight (40+ lbs) and ended up skinny fat.. I still am, but less so as I am adding weight to my frame through lifting....

Yes, cardio has a tendency to eat into lean muscle mass rather than fat mass - especially lots of intense cardio - at the amounts the "experts" say are healthy amounts. And it does nothing for tightening and strengthening muscles. Look into HIITs.

Lifting heavy is just as good for your cardiovascular - IMO, I think better - system than cardio.

If a woman gets bulky from lifting it's because she still has a nice layer of fat covering the muscles. Testosterone and plenty of food is needed to "bulk up". It's hard enough for men to gain muscle, for women it's almost impossible. And definitely impossible on a calorie deficit. We all have toned muscles. The definition shows up when you lose the layer of fat covering the muscles. Women won't get bulky because they don't have the testosterone.
    So if you don't want to look muscular then do lots of cardio and no lifting. You'll lose plenty of lean muscle mass and will have to keep eating less and less to maintain your weight. And it will be very, very easy to gain. Lean muscle mass is the best thing to have.

http://stronglifts.com/strength-training-for-women/
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    This seems as good a place as any... how long does it take to build muscles and start seeing definition if one WERE to start lifting? And is it only heavy lifting that will achieve these things or would more light lifting also manage to tone a body?