"No one who does only cardio looks good"

Options
Saw someone on MFP write this as a reply to a different topic today. This can't be true..... right?

Replies

• jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Iniially I did cardio only and I burned calories and lost weight. But i found my body changed only after adding in weights. Changes included toning and tightening.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's true, depends on your definition of "good!" I think people who do only cardio tend to look soft, where the people who lift weights look toned/muscular. Depends on the look you're going for.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Depends on the definition of cardio, the lifestyle, genetics and a buch of other things. Oh, and what does looking good actually mean?
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do mostly cardio just to burn off some of the outer layer of fat so when I do start to do alot of weight training the muscle will show thru.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would refer you to this link:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

At least go down to the pictures, see her at 117, 132, and 147. Decide for yourself what "looks best"

But I will mention that if you google the benefits of strength training, specifically for women, there is a reduction in chances for specific cancers and osteoporosis. Strength training doesn't have to involve weights, you can do body weight exercises.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I'd pretty much agree with it. My ex is 5' 6" and slim (124lb, ) and she just did zumba (which is essentially cardio). The girl I'm seeing again is 5' 6" is 131lb but she is leaner and smaller and much better shape, she does weights and cardio. Clear difference.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have been doing cardio now for 6 weeks and am going to start throwing some weights into the mix from tomorrow! So many people tell me it's so good for weight loss as it breaks down the fat in a better way rather then just burning cals??

We will see! :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One could also say that bodybuilders look grotesque, "looks good" is purely subjective and is in the eye of the beholder.

Having said that I strength train primarily as a injury prevention thing but also like the way a bit of muscle makes my body feel and look (now if I could just make my Molson muscle disappear)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think looking good is subjective. My husband would be repulsed if I were muscled. His one concerns with my working out was that I would loose my butt and my thighs wouldn't be soft. I think a happy medium would be best for me.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says this is projecting what they feel looks good or not. So take that with a grain of salt.

It's the same as saying "my country is the best", or "my religion is the best", or "my opinion is the best".

It is an opinion.

If your idea of looking good is ripped muscles then only cardio probably won't be your thing. Some people don't want that look. There are in fact men who aren't out to look like they belong in professional wrestling.

So yes, "Looks good" is purely in the eye of the beholder.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I wrote it.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

I disagree. I've seen quite a few people who only run, and they are lean and look great. That's my main motivation for running.
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yeah for females I don't agree with this statement...I don't lift although it looks like I do from genetics and different types of cardio can give you muscle tone.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't think I've seen a bad looking marathon runner.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Might be cliche, but damn it, its true!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I think looking good is subjective. My husband would be repulsed if I were muscled. His one concerns with my working out was that I would loose my butt and my thighs wouldn't be soft. I think a happy medium would be best for me.

women don't get big and ripped.
    squats and deads will make your butt and thighs look better than ever, still be soft, but not flabby.

people shouldn't be afraid of lifting weights.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It depends on the cardio. For instance, a rowing machine is considered cardio but it is a complete body workout and most of your muscle groups would get seriously toned if you did it regularly. The same can be said, but to a lesser extent, to the elliptical machine when it has arm attachments.

Now, at the apex of your progress you'd have a rower's body, which is what I'm going for; lean, muscular and fit. You won't look like a body builder. Thankfully, most women don't like the body builder look.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Yeah for females I don't agree with this statement...I don't lift although it looks like I do from genetics and different types of cardio can give you muscle tone.

Females I can see a few arguements. I still think they look better with athletic legs that come from lifting, but to each their own. That's definitely an opinion.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I wrote it.

You are referring only to running? Or all cardio? Not sure that I've ever seen a male swimmer and thought "gee- he needs to lift weights"...

o-push-the-limit-in-michael-phelps-.jpg
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You need a combination of work out cardio/strength that is why I like when classes I take pull them all together into a routine so I don’t get stuck. But sometimes to gain results one needs to build or work up to the goal that is at hand.