"No one who does only cardio looks good"

Options

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    (like you feel like a perve admiring these 15-18 year old boys!)

glad I'm not the only one :bigsmile:

I know right?!?!? My son's math teacher even said something to me about his body-uh, very inappropriate here! That's why I like Senior Champs-there are men there (including Olympians-must go wipe keyboard now!)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some genetically gifted and/or young people don't need to do any exercise to look great. The rest of us mortals need to work at it.

I know what I looked like before strength training. I know how I look after. I'm gonna keep doing it. And you know what? I really don't like doing it. But I don't like paying bills, doing dishes or scooping the catbox, either, but I still do those things.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Cardio can do alot.... it lost me my first 30lbs... but after a while, your body adapts and its time to BUILD MUSCLE in order to lose fat.... every person has to lift at one point...
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

Pretty broad statement to make. I don't feel the need to waste my time lifting weights, but thanks.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It's was a generalized statement.
    There are a few exceptions.

The nice way of what I was saying:
    Overall lifting weight is going to change your body composition faster, for longer, and in a much better way.

Cardio has it's place, but if I recall the person in that thread was asking if they only had time for one, what would be more beneficial. So that was the answer to her question.

I know and have seen a lot of fantastic physiques on people that don't do cardio.
    but I've never seen a person who only ran (thread was about elliptical or treadmill i believe, not rowing) and thought "man thats a great body"

But it is YOUR opinion that people who only doing cardio don't look good. YOURS. Not everyone else's. You aren't attracted to people with a runner's body - to each their own. Doesn't mean a runner's body isn't attractive to someone else or that a runner doesn't think they look good. To insinuate that the ONLY bodies that look good are the ones who only lift weights is ridiculous. That's like saying everyone only likes the color RED and all other colors suck.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

You are referring only to running? Or all cardio? Not sure that I've ever seen a male swimmer and thought "gee- he needs to lift weights"...

o-push-the-limit-in-michael-phelps-.jpg

He looks like he probably lifts...
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am doing only cardio right now, once I reach my goal I want to tone:smile:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    While I agree for my personal preference, what I think looks good and what another person thinks looks good can be completely different. Some women prefer the look that doing only cardio gives them, and some prefer the look strength training gives them. It's all about personal preference.

And the comments regarding world class athletes, like Michael Phelps or Olympic distance runners...I highly doubt they do ZERO strength training. Additionally, strength training doesn't have to mean body building level lifting, it's a broad term regarding exercises that are not considered traditionally "cardio." Example: push ups are strength training exercises, but you're not lifting massively heavy weights. Michael Phelps can probably get down on some push ups :)
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can do resistance cardio and build muscle. For example I was a competitive runner for years and during the racing season wouldn't lift weights because we would do sprints, hills, stairs, and other types of speed work which does help tone. Not everyone needs to look like they have muscle to look good - sometimes the lean look works.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    I've done both, only cardio and cardio + weight training. Both had awesome results for me. Do what works for you. If cardio alone works for you, do cardio alone. If cardio + weights does it for you, then do cardio + weights. Forget what everyone else says and do what gives YOU results. End of story. :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and on your definition of "looks good" ... I know people who only do cardio.. or don't even workout at all, just eat healthy, and look good. I think most everyone can look better by doing strength, though.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    That is not necessarily true of course...you can still look good. That being said you will have a fitter more toned look by adding weights/strength/resistence training into your routine.

Strength training is equally important - builds strong bones, helps you metabolize sugar faster, burns calories even after you are done working out, and provides you with a better firmer shape.

I have incorporated resistence cardio into my routine. It is working wonders. I am losing weight and toning up.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I didn't look good when I only did cardio. I was skinny fat
    When I got back into lifting i saw my body really change
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I have to agree, just a personal preference though. I rotate cardio and weight training every other day because I like the "firm" look
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We could revise it to something like

You may look ok doing only cardio but you would look much better if you were strength training as well
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am a 60+ year old widow who will never look goood naked again. I thoroughly enjoy swimming. I can swim a mile now.
    There is water resistance and at present strength training is not on my agenda. Enjoyment is the key to continuing and exercise program.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's true, depends on your definition of "good!" I think people who do only cardio tend to look soft, where the people who lift weights look toned/muscular. Depends on the look you're going for.

this
  • KikiFraser
    Options
    Yes people look more toned, etc with weight training, but I think cardio is great, you look healthy and fit, it's better than sitting on the couch! Anything is better than nothing!! :) Keep it up whatever you're doing!
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    I do mostly cardio just to burn off some of the outer layer of fat so when I do start to do alot of weight training the muscle will show thru.
    Ditto !! too much of anything is bad for you:drinker: except red moscato
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Another example would be women professional ballet dancers. They have strong, lovely legs without the benefit of weight work because of their genetics (which is why they have advanced as dancers) and the tremendous amounts of exercise they do. I've read that they don't use weights on their legs because they don't want to destroy their "line." They might do a little work on their arms.

Good point -

The "weight" ballet dancers are using is their own "body weight" - plies, lunges, leaps. There are many forms of resistance training, not just weights. Barre / Ballet dance is a popular one right now ... I wish I had the coordination. Pilates is another form of resistance training. No weights required.