• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    4 months of only-cardio got me here:
    2/23/11 - 150 lbs
    12102525_7995.jpg

1 month of heavy lifting + 1 week high protein diet/no cardio got me here:
    3/23/11 - 144.6 lbs
    12102525_7010.jpg:

At least put the toilet seat down before taking a picture of yourself in the can.......
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    Saw someone on MFP write this as a reply to a different topic today. This can't be true..... right?

Of course it's true. You've seen aerobic instructors, right? They are all saggy fat horrible looking hags.

Aerobics instructors are fitness professionals and I promise, they do strength training. You will probably never ever in your life meet a personal trainer or fitness instructor that will tell you that you don't need strength training.

But to, address the OP, what "looks good" is all relative based on one's preference. I don't really understand those who say they don't like the "toned" look, because to me personally, I don't get why a person wouldn't want to look fit and be strong, but I don't have to understand it, because it's their opinion. Great thing about those, opinions, we all have them, and we're all entitled to them.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Marathon runners cross-train and work on their core to support them during long runs. :-)
    Not all of them. I know plenty of marathon runners who "only" run, and they look awesome (to me).
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 306 Member
    When I first started working with a trainer I told him I wanted to be a size 8 (from a size 24), he asked me if I wanted to be a size 8 or did I want to be a size 8 that looked good. This confused me at first because in my mind I was thinking "wouldn't a size 8 look good?". He then told me that cardio is to lose weight, strength training/weight lifting is to tone and build muscle. He said you can cardio down to an 8 but you won't like the way you look when you get there. So I guess my response to your question would be, depends if you want to be a certain size or do you want to be a certain size that is toned?
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 306 Member
    Last year I only did cardio- Zumba, jillian michaels DVDs and the like. My lowest MFP weight was 1lb lower than it is today, but IMO I look much better now I've incorporated some regular resistance through ChaLean extreme. However, nothing gives me a flat stomach like running does!

I agree. I have lost 80 lbs. I am in a size 12 jeans but still at 200 lbs. I HAVE NEVER in my life been in a size 12 jeans at this weight. I am usually in a 16 at this weight. The difference is the strength training.
  • Sackit
    Sackit Posts: 45 Member
    It depends on the cardio. For instance, a rowing machine is considered cardio but it is a complete body workout and most of your muscle groups would get seriously toned if you did it regularly. The same can be said, but to a lesser extent, to the elliptical machine when it has arm attachments.

Now, at the apex of your progress you'd have a rower's body, which is what I'm going for; lean, muscular and fit. You won't look like a body builder. Thankfully, most women don't like the body builder look.

I totally agree with this statement. I use my elliptical with the arms and the resistancy turned up quite regularly, I also swim and bike all cardio excercises. I am not saying I look good, I still have progress to make with that being said I am definately firming up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Saw someone on MFP write this as a reply to a different topic today. This can't be true..... right?

Of course it's true. You've seen aerobic instructors, right? They are all saggy fat horrible looking hags.

Aerobics instructors are fitness professionals and I promise, they do strength training. You will probably never ever in your life meet a personal trainer or fitness instructor that will tell you that you don't need strength training.

I've met several aerobics instructors that only do aerobics. And while they were all professionals in the sense that they make money at fitness, for some it was their side job.
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

You are referring only to running? Or all cardio? Not sure that I've ever seen a male swimmer and thought "gee- he needs to lift weights"...

Thats because they probably lift weights.

Lol no. Swimming tones all over if you do enough of it and/or do the intensive strokes. I used to swim a lot, (ages ago) and regularly got asked if I worked out, because the muscle showed.
  • lainiegee
    lainiegee Posts: 23 Member
    I do mainly (almost all) 'cardio' exercise, but use ankle and wrist weights with all my exercise (and smallish dumbells as well whenever possible). I 'fell off the wagon' and gained back all the weight i had lost but upon resuming healthy eating and exercise i am again using weights with it. I feel it adds (will add when i get back into it) definition and tone to my body. I guess its personal choice really. Good luck with whatever you choose.:smile:
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member

Not true, just someone's opinion. :wink:
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    4 months of only-cardio got me here:
    2/23/11 - 150 lbs
    12102525_7995.jpg

1 month of heavy lifting + 1 week high protein diet/no cardio got me here:
    3/23/11 - 144.6 lbs
    12102525_7010.jpg:
    There's a little bit of difference there but not much. Plus, you are obviously flexing your abs in the "after" and not in the "before".

I don't know...looks like a big difference to me...but maybe I better take another look to make sure :smile:
    He's flexing his arm in the "after" but not in the "before". That's why the elbow is bent.

It reminds me of before and after pictures in weight loss commercials. Half the time, the person is pushing out in the before and sucking in/flexing in the after. In addition, the lighting is often different and the person has acquired a tan in the interim. Most of the time they are useless.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Last year I only did cardio- Zumba, jillian michaels DVDs and the like. My lowest MFP weight was 1lb lower than it is today, but IMO I look much better now I've incorporated some regular resistance through ChaLean extreme. However, nothing gives me a flat stomach like running does!

I agree. I have lost 80 lbs. I am in a size 12 jeans but still at 200 lbs. I HAVE NEVER in my life been in a size 12 jeans at this weight. I am usually in a 16 at this weight. The difference is the strength training.

well said!!!!
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Honestly there is no easy answer.

If a person were to do all strength and no cardio on a Physiologic level they are hardly more healthy than someone who sits on the couch. A "healthy" person needs cardio in their routine as well as strength training.

The "skinny fat" people that everyone looks down upon aren't the healthiest around. The "toned and breathless" are not much better.

Me personally... I would really rather be on the skinnier side with great cardiac and respiratory capacity for living life VS. being a ripped Jersey Shore wannabe getting shortness of breath when I get up off the couch to the bathroom.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Honestly there is no easy answer.

If a person were to do all strength and no cardio on a Physiologic level they are hardly more healthy than someone who sits on the couch. A "healthy" person needs cardio in their routine as well as strength training.

The "skinny fat" people that everyone looks down upon aren't the healthiest around. The "toned and breathless" are not much better.

Me personally... I would really rather be on the skinnier side with great cardiac and respiratory capacity for living life VS. being a ripped Jersey Shore wannabe getting shortness of breath when I get up off the couch to the bathroom.

why not 50/50, good cardio work out means you can run for a bus and play with your kids without getting out of breath, weight training means you are toned and have good muscle definition - they complement each other
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    I can say this with certainty: When I am thinner, I look and feel better than when I'm fatter, This is true regardless of if I have done weight training or not. And for me, getting thinner was from cardio and diet.

However, I can also say this with certainty: I look and feel better when I am thinner and more muscular due to the addition of weight training than when I am thinner and less muscular due to the lack thereof.

(And for me "muscular" is relative - I'm not, and will likely never be very muscular, no matter how much weight training I do).

So, net-net, I believe that weight training is a good compliment to cardio, or a good next-stage after you meet your weight goals, especially if you are severely overweight. If you're severely overweight, losing the fat is the central issue - then you can start fine tuning fitness and appearance. Cardio and diet seems to me to be the way to lose fat.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    This mirrors my attitude exactly. I am going to start adding weights into my regimen. However, I'm doing it for toning and lean muscle mass maintenance, not to look like a body builder. If given the choice of being skinny with a superior heart and lungs and buff with little to know cardio endurance, I'll choose the former every time.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Bump
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Take a look at the physique of Chuck Engle.
    He recently WON his 101st marathon. He ran 50 marathons in a single year. This is a guy who takes cardio to a whole new level. I'm not saying his physique is 100% down to cardio but it shows that you can have a great physique whilst still doing a huge amount of cardio.

runner.jpg
  • RBoyce05
    RBoyce05 Posts: 1 Member
    Phelps DOES LIFT weights. He's actually here at IMG doing a weight lifting program (IPI).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    this is me with cardio and body weight exercises only

991269_9569.jpg

Add proper strength training

2012%2B-%2B1

I wish I had a photo of when I was the definition of skinny fat when I ONLY did running & some occasional boxing.

"good" is definitely subjective but I prefer my current shape. And as well as that I get to eat more and not put on fat so easily which is a big plus in my eyes!