Why Eating Exercise Calories is so important.

Options

Replies

• Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump. Thanks for the explanation!
  • lindaamarie
    lindaamarie Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm so glad that you posted this because I had no idea that I needed to eat the excess calories that I gained from working out. This may explain why I haven't been able to lose weight much weight and why I'm actually gaining the weight back.
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump BUMP.

Thanks.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    wow I really really like the way you explained this, I understand it now. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, a tremendous help to me. :)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    This is great information!! Thanks OP
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I know there's a lot of discussion on MFP about this, but it's so confusing. Your post is reassuring. MFP did set my goal at 1200, which I'm able to stick to most days, but I also have anywhere from 300-1000 calories burned from exercise (real exercise - I'm not counting housecleaning and grocery shopping anymore) every day. And I'm hungry again (4 months into this). But I just didn't understand the whole net thing. So thanks.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree but disagree, MFP is very optimistic when assigning Calories for Exercise, so I try and not eat them all back...
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great post! I was just trying to explain this to someone this morning :-)
  • A1ladya
    A1ladya Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for the information. Now I understand why this is so important.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great discussion here, both original poster and well-considered follow-ups. I can see reason in the original post and some of the disagreement. From a practical standpoint, I have noticed that when I eat back all my calories, I do not lose weight. So, from a practical standpoint, here is what I am doing. Feel free to pick. ;)

1) MFP has my daily intake at 1200 calories. I can't actually eat less than this without getting a warning about not eating enough.

2) I find it difficult to eat under 1200 calories. In fact, I have to work out to hit 1200 (2lb per week). So, sometimes I am over by several hundred, and sometimes a little under (after workout). But, I figure even if I eat 1600 or 1700, it is still enough to lose a little weight., because MFP says my daily need is about 2200.

3) I get a sense that complex carbs are not my friend, weight-wise, nor are processed foods. So, I try, am sometimes unsuccessful, to focus on protein (fish, chicken, beef), veggies, and fruit (I know, sugars, but am good with that) ... I think I put on weight when I eat breads and processed foods.

4) I don't know, but expect my metabolism is slower than average.

5) I expect MFP overestimates calories burned. Although, the ellipticals at the gym, which record weight, age, but not gender, give higher values. So, I always assume my calorie burn is less than I am told.

6) I expect that I underestimate portioins and calories of what I eat, so I assume I am eating more calories than I log ... although I do log everything.

7) I am supremely busy and don't have a lot of time to exercise. I try to use the elliptical for 45-60 minutes three times a week, and weight machines too. Sometimes I do better than three times per week.

So, all that being said, my approach is to eat back some, but not all of my exercise calories. Perhaps, a ballpark figure is I try to eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories.

Great discussion.

Sean
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I've read all 16 pages and it's been very educational ;)

I have an overfeeding day every week, usually on a Sunday and it works. I exercise 6 days a week (Insanity and Turbofire). Thanks for this thread :)
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the breakdown you illustrated.
  • Lauramcelroy
    Options
    Thank you for this explanation, I was totally not getting it, especially since what I grew up with is you have to "burn more than you take in." However, this is making me apprehensive as I am an under eater and having a hard time with getting my daily food in on my non work out days and now I will have to eat like a whole meal more on days I exercise :( This is great to know, here I go again!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • charming72
    charming72 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • amblee125
    amblee125 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump

LOVE THIS! Thank You!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree but disagree, MFP is very optimistic when assigning Calories for Exercise, so I try and not eat them all back...

This is very true - while I am a total believer in eating your calories back (assuming you have your deficit built into your goal) but folks should always err on the side of caution with the amount they eat back due to over-stated calories burned.
  • Young28
    Young28 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spedwife
    spedwife Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I was wondering this same thing today. And funny enough, I already understood it, just not the way I thought I did. In my head, working out just gets me more food. :-D
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Immensely helpful. Thank you.