Why Eating Exercise Calories is so important.

Options

Replies

• itsofficial
    itsofficial Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, interesting thread, would like to follow.
  • browntracy72
    browntracy72 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, this is the information I needed.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump -- to read and follow up with later. =]
  • coltrax
    coltrax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what you are eating/drinking to boost your clas without junk since I am in the same boat. Clean eating+intense training = not enough cals.

Thanks!
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I have been really wondering about this. And a lot of days I do nto eat my exercise calories and would be 500 or so under and I thought that was GOOD. When people say to eat more I could not understand it. You are the first one to make this clear to me. I have felt HORRIBLE the last few days. I wonder if this is why....

Although I did read that intermittent fasting is safe for one day at a time, 1-2 times per week. So I wonder how this can be?
  • coltrax
    coltrax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No because some of the things (such as bread, cheese, etc.) I limit myself because of the added carbs, sugar, and sodium. So eating more of it would throw everything out of wack by the end of the day (at least it does for me). So discovering a meal replacement (High calories, low carb, high protien) works great!!! Thanks for the response!!!

I would like to know what you are eating/drinking to boost your cals without junk since I am in the same boat. Clean eating+intense training = not enough cals.

Thanks!
  • correll26
    correll26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Very helpful thread. Thanks for posting!

Here is another (longer) article on the "high energy flux" issue: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/gflux_redux
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    BUMP
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Actually this really helped. I could never determine why it was so important to eat those extra 500 calories I had left over from working out, but now I do :)

XOXO, THANKS!
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    Well done, this is something everyone should read.
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    bump
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Very clear, simple explanation.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much !!! Really an eye opener !!! Bump
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am really on the fence about this. I am scared to eat them! It also doesn't help that I work out an night usually and I don't want to be eating all those calories at 10pm. I do work out a lot and have been stuck for awhile.
  • marcelee123
    Options
    Just curious as to why you take your fitbit off when you do cardio?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If the body's default is to burn muscle rather than fat then it wouldn't store fat to start with. It would store muscle.

Nobody is going to burn off their muscle until they are in the advanced stages of starvation.

That is false, you lose lean muscle all the while, while in a caloric deficit if you don't take measures to protect it. These measures are lifting heavy, and eating enough protein. without those 2 your body can burn muscle easier then fat, if you don't have 50+ lbs to lose. The body does this as muscle burns cals, if you have less cals your body looks for ways to conserve energy, one way is have less muscle, if you are not doing heavy lifting your body doesn't think you need that much muscle and will do away with it, making your BMR lower, making it easier to cope with a lower caloric intake.
  • marcelee123
    Options
    OK obviously new at this, I meant this reply to go to the person who says they take the fitbit off when they do cardio
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am really on the fence about this. I am scared to eat them! It also doesn't help that I work out an night usually and I don't want to be eating all those calories at 10pm. I do work out a lot and have been stuck for awhile.

If you know you are going to exercise, estimate the burn and eat those cals during the day.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    ok...What if you have only 5~10 lbs to lose and are already have a BMI of 23 or 22 ,47 yrs old and 5'2" and do only 30 minutes of circuit training 6 D per week {only burn approx~300 cals }?? When I upped my calories I gained 3 lbs and plateaued for 3 weeks! I thought I would be down to my weight by now! HELP!!! ADVICE!!!