Holly Madison & Shape Magazine??? WTF??

Options
Okay, I have to vent a little bit about seeing Holly Madison as a success story in Shape Magazine. Read the article here:

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/success-stories/celeb-slim-down-playboy-beauty-holly-madison

I was so irritated about her being a poor example, that I wrote the following to Shape's editorial department:

"Although I have been a Shape reader for years, I was disappointed for the first time when I saw Holly Madison as a success story in the March issue. Although she's a lovely lady and should be proud of her weight loss, she's not the best choice as a mentor for the readers. Shape always preaches healthy eating and exercise as the path to a better self, not weight loss supplements. This seemed more like an advertisement than a success story and a sell-out of the magazine's core values."

Anyone agree or am I just being insane here?

Shannon

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    you're not out of line. Shape mag really has changed how they do their mags recently, so I stopped reading them
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Agree!!

Sounds like an ad for NV.
    Thumbs down to Shape.
    Thumbs up for your review and letter!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I bought that issue for the Kate Walsh interview, and when I got to the article about Holly Madison, I couldn't believe I was reading Shape! Definitely thumbs up to your letter!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I saw this magazine at the gym & thumbed through it while I was on the bike. I never really read Shape but am disapointed they made it sound like NV was a magic pill. I am sure a lot of people will be rushing to the store to waste money on something that doesn't work because most people want a quick fix and not a lifestyle change.
  • BeccaMovinUp
    Options
    Shape Magazine has gone to S**t as far as I'm concerned.
    It's not about quality anymore, it's about advertising and trying to make money.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was pretty miffed at that article too. I didn't even think to write to the magazine. Great idea. I couldn't believe that they'd have her as a "success".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Agreed and thought the same thing. If I hadn't gotten the subscription free, I'd be really peeved.

I also don't believe for one second that she lost 20 pounds and weighs 110 pounds at 5'5, unless her head and boobs are full of helium.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Things are really bad in the newspaper/magazine industry right now. It's part of a long developing trend, going back to the early 2000s, where more traditionally print oriented publications have been struggling to adapt to the new paradigm, the digital media landscape.

This type of story may alienate more than bring in more advertising revenue. Content is king. Keeping the target audience happy and engaged should be goal. Other things should fall into place after that.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    She wasn't big before from the pictures? You can't see all of her in the after either. Rubbish article, I agree! Boo
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do love her, but I think its a poor choice too! Just another plug for her stupid pills.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Really interesting comments, guys. I've also always been anoyed by the advertisements in Self, Fitness, and Shape Magazines. A lot of them are for diet pills, which when you read the actual magazine content, the readers are told that supplements aren't FDA approved that their claims haven't been substantiated with scientific evidence. If that's the case, why do magazines accept these advertisements? Surely, we can healthier companies like Morning Star, Jenny-O, Jello, etc. to put in their advertisements and the magazines can make revenue that way. Gotta love corporate America.

GRR!
    Shannon
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The only "fitness Magazine" I read is Womens Health. I find good articles and excellent workout advice. Not nearly as many supplement ads...It's not just a book full of ads like the others.
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I agree with you, it is promoting negative ways to lose weight! I know not all diet pills are going to harm your body, but they can be unhealthy ways to lose weight in a short amount of time and that is just promoting people to take them! I don't like it at all...
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately - its more about what sells magazines - they're looking at the bottom $$$. After having a subscription for 2 years, I got very disappointed and did not renew.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I never found her that good looking anyway. She looks fake to me with the bleach blond hair, orange tan, and surgically grown breasts. I don't find that attractive at all.

Not to mention she sounds so scripted: "NV helped me drop one jeans size in two weeks and increased my energy." "These days, I’m slim and fit, and I still have the fabulous curves I've always loved!"

I would have been mad too.
  • ColleenDeBeasi
    ColleenDeBeasi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I really like Self Magazine. I haven't read shape in a few years, but from what I've read, Self has good workouts and meal ideas.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I saw this magazine at the gym & thumbed through it while I was on the bike. I never really read Shape but am disapointed they made it sound like NV was a magic pill. I am sure a lot of people will be rushing to the store to waste money on something that doesn't work because most people want a quick fix and not a lifestyle change.

most mainstream self-help magazines are thinly-disguised, lengthy manufacturer's advertisements. Only.
    There is very little hard science or independant reasearch done on any article, popular trends are quoted as fact and easy solutions to complex situations are promoted as the final say. The models are airbrushed to fit the issue's theme, so overal, it's about $6 spent on one giant, pretty ad.
    No thanks.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Toatally pi**ed me off! She is a poor roll model.
  • mwaid
    mwaid Posts: 19
    Options
    I am a shape reader too. However, there have been many times in the past year that I'd be in the supermarket, walk up to grab the magazine, see who was on the cover and just turned around. It's an obvious problem for all magazines, but why are there not curvier women with bigger frames on the cover: christina Hendricks and Queen Latifa, etc! Sorry but I have bigger bones and bigger frame than holly madison. If I was her size now or when she was "fatter" I would look sick. So you were not out of line. I found it interesting the other day in the book store that I saw Megan Fox on the cover of Cosmo in the US but the UK version is always someone like Adele, or (this month is) Christina Hendricks--women who are real too. I think you have inspired me to write a letter to SHAPE!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Holly send the absolutely wrong message about weight loss and fitness, in my opinion. But it isn't that different of a message then the "be bikini ready in 30 days" articles that they include either. Yes, so of the exercises are interesting and I can incorporate them in my own workout, but the message is the same, Quick easy weight loss. Not sure about you, but I have nothing quick and easy about weight loss. It was hard work, but it has been well worth it!

I hope you sent your letter!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!