Holly Madison & Shape Magazine??? WTF??

Options

Replies

• amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wow, I definitely am surprised by that article. I used to read Shape YEARS ago, and this article does NOT fit in with their content from years back.

I commented under the article:

"I am disappointed in this article. I have seen Shape take a negative turn toward more advertising, but this really takes the cake. Weight loss supplements are not an appropriate substitute for nutritious food, and are not an adequate long term plan. Please get back to what Shape used to stand for, which was healthy, sustainable fitness tips and advice. Thank you."
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a better fitness magazine try Experience Life (lifetime fitness' magazine). I LOVE it! No creepy pill adverts and I feel like they do a great job promoting all around health - not just a quick fix.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I got the new issue of Shape yesterday and immediately went to the letters section to see the feedback. Wow! Not only did they not print any complaint letters (which I'm sure they got), but they printed a "pro NV" letter that included information on the company's web site and pricing information for the product at Walmart.

Further proof that magazines are just one giant paid advertisement. I wont' be renewing this one.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's one fitness magazine I don't buy regularly, because they don't cater to the kind of fitness I strive for.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    :noway: You are right! Plus it's the pilates, yoga and cutting out fast food and eating healthy snacks that would have done it, no the pill SHape was probably paid to promote. It's a real shame and I am dissapointed too! I noticed that EVERY SINGLE ad for a magic weight loss pill says excercise and eating plan required to acheive results! how convient for them HA LOL:explode:
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Shape is all about adds & marketing now. I prefer Women's Health. More substance, less bull *kitten*.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    what a shame. I wonder if they ever thought about what kind of message that is sending out... good review you wrote up!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Shape stopped being a good fitness magazine around 7 years ago. Now I am amazed if they put someone on the cover who is actually practicing good fitness and health. It is no longer inspirational for me. I've dropped it from the rotation, and there is much better info available online these days from independent sites (fitsugar.com is a great example even though it is more of a content aggregator)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Agreed and thought the same thing. If I hadn't gotten the subscription free, I'd be really peeved.

I also don't believe for one second that she lost 20 pounds and weighs 110 pounds at 5'5, unless her head and boobs are full of helium.

yep on all. Shape has def sold out...
  • missbex24
    missbex24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :smile: I agree!!! Good for you for writing to them!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same. I actually sent the editors an email about it because I was so disappointed. I'm sure they'll be receiving a lot of letters from disappointed readers.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    So is this equivalent to Marie Osmond's 50 lbs weight loss that she claims Nutrisystem is responsible for. Funny how she landed that deal after she lost 50 lbs on the "Dancing with the washed up has beens... oops i mean stars" tv show.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It is what it is.. They need to sell magazines and what better way then putting a playboy bunny on the cover and promoting a "quick fix".. I expect nothing less from magazines like this. Its a good business move really!

But hey, thats why I don't read *kitten* like this LMAO
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thumbs down on their article definitely. I stopped subscribing to them after being a reader for years because some of their content was getting a little ridiculous and too much about the bad advertisements. They are supposed to be supporting healthier lifestyles and now they are supporting weight loss supplements? Shame on them. Those pills don't work. Maybe in the short term, but the only thing that works for the long haul is hard work, dedication and a permanent lifestyle change.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Agreed and thought the same thing. If I hadn't gotten the subscription free, I'd be really peeved.

I also don't believe for one second that she lost 20 pounds and weighs 110 pounds at 5'5, unless her head and boobs are full of helium.
    Boobs and heads filled with helium-New weight surgery? Shape can write about it-better than lipo and take pounds off the scale:tongue:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Welcome to realizing the goals of marketing. Just because a celebrity does it....does NOT mean you need it.

girl-scouts-some-will-do-anything-to-sell-those-damn-cookies-demotivational-poster.jpg
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I got the new issue of Shape yesterday and immediately went to the letters section to see the feedback. Wow! Not only did they not print any complaint letters (which I'm sure they got), but they printed a "pro NV" letter that included information on the company's web site and pricing information for the product at Walmart.

Further proof that magazines are just one giant paid advertisement. I wont' be renewing this one.

I'm sure SHAPE got a large sum for endorsing NV. That is probably why Holly was brought in, the ads, and positive letters were even included.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a year's subscription to Shape, since they were on sale last year for $1.99 through Tanga. I have not been impressed. There are a lot of weight-loss supplement ads, and I agree with what a lot of posters said about Holly's story: it sounded scripted, and what is to congratulate for losing weight on pills? Show me a success story where someone altered their diet and busted their butt and cried their way through their weight loss and I'll call THAT a success.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, Shape has been in decline for a long time, trying to sell "lengthening" of muscles, spot toning and other counterproductive ideas. I used to always sneak reads of my ex's Men's Health magazines instead (and eventually they started trying to get Maxim-y and ruined some of their content as well).

Sounds like this is a new low.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me several subscriptions when I quit smoking and told him I wanted to get Fit and Healthy...

Health
    Fitness
    Womens Health
    Shape

Shape ends up on the bottom of the magazine rack as I cannot stand the overall message of it, and always feel like I am being sold a used car.

It will not get renewed...... unless something changes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!