Snacking....how do you fight the urge?

Options

Replies

• JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I go and make a cup of tea. It fills the process of going to the kitchen or break room, preparing something and consuming it with out the calories.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    :happy:
    I don't. I schedule my snacks instead. This is one thing my OCD is extremely useful for!
    i agree! I have to plan it out and then when I have the craving there is a quick resolve. There are seceral substitutions...my weakness are the crunchy foods. So i took out wavy chhips for light ranch rice cakes and ice cold water.
    Leaving it up to chance ends up with guilt burn at the gym.
    Also try some gum, think of how your waistline will "wear " that snack, or just eat half of it and toss it.
    Good luck
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Me? I drink some water. If that doesn't work then I eat a pickle.

this!!! Hahaha I do the same!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    In addition, I had lost focus recently on portion sizes and how often I was eating.
    I talked to my trainer and he had me actually increase my calories from 1250 to 1500
    and has me eating every 2-3 hours. This way I can "look forward" to the next time
    I'm scheduled to eat.

So far it's working well for me! 8)

This is what I do! I eat 6 times a day: breakfast at 7:30, snack around 10am, lunch at 12:30, snack around 3, dinner around 5:30-6, and post-workout protein snack around 8. Definitely works for me!
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log all my food and that way I know what I'm going to have and then I just have something thats on my list. I have some snacks in the house that arent too high in carbs or sugar like suger free jelly and skips so if i do need something i can. but when i get the urge to snack, or say i feel hungry, i always drink water then wait half hour, if i still want it then i no its not just an impulse thing

i will look for sugar free jelly when i go to the store. PBJ is one of my favorite snacks. i use low fat peanut butter and i always use whole wheat bread.
  • missdabby
    missdabby Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I go grocery shopping...I have a Caramel Nip hard candy...only 30 calories...it keeps me from buying or wanting to eat all the sweet snacks : )

1610854.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    me, it's just mental. i have to decide that it's ok to not be full, and fight the urge, daily, every night. i could just eat and eat and eat when i'm watching tv at night, but i have to decide, i am not going to bed full and drink a couple of cups of tea, and eat a strategically placed snack that is within the budget.

every single night i could just mung out on something i don't need without a second thought.

i don't know how to re-train my brain to thinking once i've had tea, that's it, i don't need anything til breakfast.

that's why i tell my kids every day, once you've had tea, no more snacks, that's it til breakfast. maybe after they hear it a thousand nights, they might have it in their brains automatically.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I eventually just said "stop, you're bored, not hungry".
    I'm doing pretty well now and my tummy get's full quite easily actually!
    I snack all day, I guess you could say, as it is hard for me to actually have meals.
  • twalton67
    twalton67 Posts: 16
    Options
    I, too am a label reader. It really does make you more conscious of what you put in your mouth. Me, I am addicted to chocolate, so, because I don't consume enough protien daily, I have started buying the double chocolate protein bars. FitN Active have 10g of protein, 180 calories, and satisfy me for quite a while.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is where MFP comes in so handy for me...I plan my whole day worth of food, 3 meals, and usually between 3-5 "snacks". I have a big jug of water 75oz that stays with me at all times. I plug in my days worth of food first thing in the morning, after I work out and plug that in I have an idea on where I am at for meeting my goal for the day. If I am at my max for the day, drink more water, if I have room to spare I usually go for almonds or a protein powder (w/ water) sometimes a can of tuna (straight out of the can) is a great calorie filler as well. Bottom line is I do everything I can to stay under my goal for the day/week. Hope this helps
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I generally hoard my calories until the end of the day. That way dinner is no problem and I have 300-400 calories left to snack as the night proceeds.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    Green Tea and healthier snack. Carrots rock!
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    I have 3 set snack-times everyday.. and for those snacks I make it something low calorie and usually raw (i.e. veggies, fruit). I eat 6 times a day so I am never hungry, thus don't have the urge to just continuously snack. :-)
  • claramay66
    claramay66 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eat a better Breakfast. If you eat more in the morning you are less likely to want to snack and it gives you more time to "work it off"
  • tracielinn
    tracielinn Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have my snacks built into my day....breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I don't feel deprived, actually sometimes I end up being more full from snacking.
  • punkrockprincess23
    punkrockprincess23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my problem is i waste all my calories on snacks or other meals and by dinner i have no calories left.

i HATE water lol,this is the hardest for me. i can choke down 1 and then i have to add crystal light to the others.

ONLY veggies i like are:corn,peas,carrots,potatoes n broccoli. i dont know what to do-i dont like peppers,tomatoes,mushroom,asparagus nothing.

No one in my house eats that stuff. im not big on pork and i hate all kinds of fish-yes ives tried shrimp,fish etc.
    I like Beef lol.

I dont drink teas or coffes.

Any ideas or tips please!!!!!!(my mom was youngest of 6 kids.if she didnt like something she ALWAYS got something else,shes ssooo picky. as a result growing up we ate limited things because we only ate what she liked. nnedless to say as i got older and did try other things I didnt like them:(
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Snacking can be a struggle, especially when you have kiddos that want to snack all the time. I keep healthy things in the house, that way when I want to snack it's healthy and if that doesn't sound good then I don't eat. But being out is a different story, try to carry an apple or something like that!
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't resist. I found that I get too frustrated and that's when I don't stick to my diet anymore because when I do give in I tend to overdo it. Of course I cut back and changed my snacks to very healthy snacks instead of junk type food. Also, I have my snacks out in a bowl on the kitchen counter and another with fruits and veggies front and center in the fridge. My kids' sweeter snacks up on the top shelf where they're a little harder to get. I find that I grab whatever is easiest and handy, so if the healthy stuff is out and easy to grab, I'm more prone to eat that rather than deal with getting out the stool and digging out the treats. I also find that this helps my kids eat the healthier stuff too, they'd rather grab what they can get themselves rather than have me dig out the hidden treats. I think we have a package of cookies and some candy that's been up on the top shelf untouched for weeks. Looks we're ready to just stop buying it all together. yay!
    With grocery shopping, I sit and make my list at home according to planned recipes and snacks and make myself stick to that list when I shop so I don't just buy stuff on a whim. I also try to go shopping after I've eaten a meal or at least a snack so I'm not hungry. This helps save some money when shopping too :)

(sorry if I repeated some other answers, I didn't have time to read everyone's responses)
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love to snack so I dont even try to fight the urge, I'm just more thoughtful of it now. I do try and hold off so I dont eat it all in one sitting but I pre-log all of my food for the day so I know what I have for snacks and roughly when to eat them. I've also started eating healthier snacks (oranges instead of cheetos) and so I don't have any guilt over it, this is a lifestyle change and I've always loved munching throughout the day so its something I plan for now.

And I drink tons of water these days!
  • pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My favorite green tea is TAZO brand. It's called ZEN and it's got lemongrass and spearmint flavor. It's yummy and delicious hot or cold over ice.