Snacking....how do you fight the urge?

Options

Replies

• RockLucyZoe
    Options
    I usually take a bite of what i want to eat and chew it really slowly until there's no flavor left, then I spit it out and drink a glass of water to fool mself into thinking im full.
  • JJShotz
    JJShotz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I keep these around too. They're perfect low calorie snack because they seem to last forever. :smile:
    When I go grocery shopping...I have a Caramel Nip hard candy...only 30 calories...it keeps me from buying or wanting to eat all the sweet snacks : )
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i know we all have to fight the snack monster but my question to you all is how do you do it? For me i love grocery shopping! I'm like a little kid when i enter a supermarket. I like to pick up all the yummy snacks that i used to eat and check the nutrition info and i can tell you that i end up putting it right back on the shelve. By reading whats actually in the snacks and the caloric information makes me want to run away and head to the gym. i have lost about 30 lbs in 3 months i have times where i " fall off of the wagon" and eat a slice of cake but i dont over do it or do it too often because now i actually know how bad that stuff is for you. I'm sharing this in hopes that i can inspire someone to reach their goals. take your favorite snack and read the label and add up the calories and fat for the week or month or how ever often you eat it and i bet it will make you change what you eat. :wink:

This is what I like to do! However, I am not the primary grocery shopper, that role is fulfilled by my mother who likes to buy lots of yummy crap.

I normally have about 200 cals left by the end of the day, and I always go raid the cupboards. Before properly sticking to MFP, I would think nothing of going into the sweet cupboard and eating one large muffin, a mars bar, and a large bag of haribos. When you actually check the nutritional information of those 3 items you have approximately ate 1,300 calories plus 4X your sugar intake. Not good. Now though, I check to see how many calories I have left, carefully think about whether I am actually hungry or not, and if I still want something to eat I will.
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    my problem is i waste all my calories on snacks or other meals and by dinner i have no calories left.

i HATE water lol,this is the hardest for me. i can choke down 1 and then i have to add crystal light to the others.

ONLY veggies i like are:corn,peas,carrots,potatoes n broccoli. i dont know what to do-i dont like peppers,tomatoes,mushroom,asparagus nothing.

No one in my house eats that stuff. im not big on pork and i hate all kinds of fish-yes ives tried shrimp,fish etc.
    I like Beef lol.

I dont drink teas or coffes.

Any ideas or tips please!!!!!!(my mom was youngest of 6 kids.if she didnt like something she ALWAYS got something else,shes ssooo picky. as a result growing up we ate limited things because we only ate what she liked. nnedless to say as i got older and did try other things I didnt like them:(

I'm the same with water, I drink iced tea instead. I use all natural teas, there's basically nothing in it except some vitamins, so nutritionally it's the same as water. I know you said you don't drink tea, but maybe try some flavored teas and drink them iced. My husband and I completely stopped drinking soda a little over a year ago and we bought an iced tea maker to make it more convenient to have tea instead, you can use any of the flavored hot teas in the iced tea maker. I'm allergic to sugar substitutes, but luckily I don't like sweetened tea, you can always add a sugar substitute if you're wanting it a little sweet.

I know how you feel with veggies, I've basically tried all different recipes and found things that work. In some ways you sort of have to make yourself like certain things, or at least find a way that you like them prepared.
  • punkrockprincess23
    punkrockprincess23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    that sounds good:im gonna try that :)
  • punkrockprincess23
    punkrockprincess23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    thanks. recently someone told me about a recipe. make mashed potatoes using cauliflower for the mashed potatoes with some ranch dressing? worth a shot lol.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't find myself having to fight the urges cause I plan snacks into my day. Especially for around 730-8pm time!!
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I always have 2-3 pieces of fruit in my bag so I can munch on the healthy stuff all day. I snack 2-3X a day.

I always feel hungrier if I eat simple carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes). I noticed the snacking/mid-afternoon low sugar hunger went away when I cut them out. I still snack even if I do not feel hungry - it helps me exercise harder at the gym later.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    SO TRUE--do not shop on an empty stomach!

I am trying the "don't eat unless I am hungry" way of thinking. I have low blood sugar, so I "use that as an excuse".

The way of thinking-eat only when hungry, in between meals, is really working for me!

When I get hungry, I know I have to eat, I have the snack planned out-usually 1/2 piece of bread with 1 tsp p.b. If I am extremely hungry, I add about 3 oz of orange juice to get my sugar back up!

I have only lost a few pounds, but I have actually stopped gaining weight!!!! that's huge for me. gained 30 pounds in 20 years-3 kids and hit 50 years old
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Going clothes shopping is the best way to fight my snacking urge! i just try on a pair of jeans and its enough for me to not want to eat unhealthy foods for a week lol
  • MamitaLinda777
    Options
    Well, this is day #1 and i' ll be honest I am sooo hungry and I feel like I'm gonna give in.....but thanks to you guys, my hands are keeping busy!!!!!!! :-)
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I drink water. if i'm still hungry for something after drinking water, then I know I'm actually hungry, so I'll go ahead and get the snack I want. but i find that drinking water is very good at curbing my cravings
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    i know we all have to fight the snack monster but my question to you all is how do you do it? For me i love grocery shopping! I'm like a little kid when i enter a supermarket. I like to pick up all the yummy snacks that i used to eat and check the nutrition info and i can tell you that i end up putting it right back on the shelve. By reading whats actually in the snacks and the caloric information makes me want to run away and head to the gym. i have lost about 30 lbs in 3 months i have times where i " fall off of the wagon" and eat a slice of cake but i dont over do it or do it too often because now i actually know how bad that stuff is for you. I'm sharing this in hopes that i can inspire someone to reach their goals. take your favorite snack and read the label and add up the calories and fat for the week or month or how ever often you eat it and i bet it will make you change what you eat. :wink:

When I feel like snacking, I just remember that it was "snacking" and all it entailed, that aided my weight-gain (again!), hence why I am here (again!).

It is that thought alone that stops me and long may it do so too!
  • HayleeWho11
    Options
    If water isn't enough, add crystal light too it to give it sweetness to stop the urge
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I kick a cat
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xLissyx
    xLissyx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Careful not to drink it late at night. It is loaded with caffeine.Kept me up all night a few weeks back.Schedule healthy snacks-some stick pretzels,popcorn w/o butter.I love kettle corn lately,fruit. I eat 5 times a day so I have an am snack and a pm snack.Keeps me going and I have lost 43 lbs. in 6 months.Good luck!
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i have a mantra "eating is not what i do" and i try to distract, by doing anything but heading toward food! i also visualize the hunger pangs as the fire actively eating up my fat. i eat all my base calories and look forward to meals, but no snacking, except for one apple if available. :flowerforyou:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I can't resist the snack monster so I just beat him at his own game by making sure there are NO unhealthy snacks in my house.

When I want a snack I open the fridge and grab carrots, pickles, a lettuce salad (LITTLE or no dressing), mushrooms, cucumber... etc.

Basically I just make sure my only options are low cal, healthy options and that way if I snack it's no biggee. :)

That said, I allow myself 'bad' snacks now and then. I had a small (note: SMALL) bag of chips today... MAN how I missed chips. But I made sure I logged it and made it fit with my daily calorie goal.