Eating 500 calories and BMR .

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You seem like your not going to heed the advice of posters that have had success so this is probably pointless but I will try anyway. I weighed 560 lbs. 33 months ago and could barely walk. I started working with a dietician and my doctor and from the beginning even though I had over 300 lbs. to lose under doctors orders I was instructed to lose 1 to 2 lbs. a week for sustainable weightloss. So we adjusted my intake over the course of 3 weeks to maintain that weightloss. Fast forward 33 months and 303 lbs. down my current BMR is 2160 with a 500 calories deficit built in to lose 1 pound a week but because I burn 1000 calories most days in exercise I eat 3000 calories a day and am still losing weight... By taking it off at a recommended pace I haven't sacrificed to much muscle which is good because having more muscle burns more calories.... Speed isn't the way to permanent weightloss and I wish you would reconsider, if not Good Luck to you.....

May 2009

2009May2.jpg

33 months of steady weight loss mixed with strength training and cardio

Feb 2012

2012-01-15120616.jpg
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Actually you answered a question with a question and then were all negative and I value all opinions of those who want to help I am starting to try to loose weight and for this reason I am asking questions to help me and this is what this forum is for I am not trying to have people support a specific diet just give me there experiences and knowledge like I said previously if you don't have something nice or different to say why waste your time posting

Each and every person here who tells you that 500 cal/day net is dangerous and unsustainable "wants to help." That's why we're giving you this information. I haven't said anything "not nice," I have said and implied that what you are doing is dangerous and unsustainable. You have declared that "not nice" and negative.
  • DebraMAnderson
    DebraMAnderson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have many more years of experience with weight management (non) than your short 29 years. i work out 2 hours per day 5 days a week and count my calorie intake daily. You need to be fuelled up to burn calories. My advise is to throw away the scales, ensure you're eating at least 1200 calories per day, then workout with a combination of both cardio and especially weight training. The message folks on this chat line are relaying is what you're doing is not only unsustainable, but dangerous to your health and well being. Perfect example, look at the biggest looser contestants. They're on 800 calories per day, work out a min of 7 hours per day, loose weight rapidly, but how many quickly gain once out of the controlled environment. If your doctor is perscribing 500 calories a day, i'd advise you go get another opinion. if you're already part of the gym environment, go speak with the personal trainers. Pick up any health, weight management or diet book. i doubt you'd find one that promotes such a low daily calorie intake. the message we're all trying to share is that we support your journey, however the journey is for life. Throw away the scale, increase your muscle tone and judge by your clothes and body shape and remember muscle weighs more and burns more fat. Life is short enough, don't be in such a hurry to wear your body out from the inside. Take time to love every part of the transformation.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I am 29 years old, I am 5'9 and weigh 269 lbs. My BMR is 2017. I started a diet 3 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds so far. I am eating around 1000 calories a day and burning at least 500 calories at the gym alone. So my net calorie intake is 500 per day. I would like to know will I loose more weight eating more or should I continue on. I am doing well, not starving but I am trying to find the most rapid weight loss possible. I just can't seem to grasp that if I eat 500 less according to my BMR I would be eating around 2000 calories a day and that seems like a huge amount? Any info or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

BMR 2017x1.5=3025-20%=2420

You need to be eating 2420 to lose fat.
    Anything lower is blowing away lean mass and extending your diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been on an unintentional 500 calorie diet because of recent painkillers basically erasing my appetite and causing food to make me ill. It's a quick way to lose weight I'll tell ya what lol... but you are losing a lot of muscle and slowly going to do long term damage to your body and metabolism. While 'starvation mode' is largely a myth and takes months to kick in, you are messing with your bodily functions. That said, if you are very fat, then evidence suggests you can healthily maintain a 'starvation' diet for quite a while - the only issue meaning micronutrients as your body can't derive vitamins and minerals from your fat stores like it can from food.

I'd strongly recommend increasing your calories slowly (+200 or so a week) for healthier and more sustainable weight loss.
  • FitLink
    Options
    You seem like your not going to heed the advice of posters that have had success so this is probably pointless but I will try anyway. I weighed 560 lbs. 33 months ago and could barely walk. I started working with a dietician and my doctor and from the beginning even though I had over 300 lbs. to lose under doctors orders I was instructed to lose 1 to 2 lbs. a week for sustainable weightloss. So we adjusted my intake over the course of 3 weeks to maintain that weightloss. Fast forward 33 months and 303 lbs. down my current BMR is 2160 with a 500 calories deficit built in to lose 1 pound a week but because I burn 1000 calories most days in exercise I eat 3000 calories a day and am still losing weight... By taking it off at a recommended pace I haven't sacrificed to much muscle which is good because having more muscle burns more calories.... Speed isn't the way to permanent weightloss and I wish you would reconsider, if not Good Luck to you.....

May 2009

2009May2.jpg

Feb 2012

2012-01-15120616.jpg

AWESOME! If you aren't a good argument for eating to lose weight, I don't know who is! And you were way more at risk at the beginning than she is as your BMI was MUCH higher (probably close to DOUBLE), yet still, slow and steady wins the race.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    To respond to your post, I first did some numbers to estimate your daily burn rate before exercise (BMR):

Since you lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks, that means you lost around 0.71 lbs per day
    One pound of fat is 3500 calories, so you have been at a calorie deficit of 2500 calories per day ("-2500")

That calorie deficit tells me that your BMR is around 3000
    (Calorie deficit per day) = (Food calories ate in one day) - (Burned Calories in a day)
    = (Food calories ate in one day) - (BMR + Exercise)

So we have:
    BMR = (Food calories ate in one day) - (Exercise calories) - (Calorie deficit per day)

In your case:
    BMR = (1000) - (500) - (-2500) = 3000

That BMR is about right for a person your height and weight.

Now, why is calculating the BMR so important?
    Well, it answers your question on eating 2000 calories per day.

You can see now that 2000 cals is NOT a huge amount, since your normal burn rate, no exercise, is close to 3000 !!

The BMR is also useful to calculate a more moderate and healthy pace for weight loss:

A 2 lb/week is the most you should target.

With 2 lb/week, a calorie deficit per day would be:
    2 x 3500 divided by 7 = 1000 cals

If your BMR is 3000, that means you need to eat daily 2000 cals: (no exercise included)
    deficit = BMR - (calories food)
    1000 = 3000 - 2000

If you exercise, then you need to eat even more (2500 cals to eat if you do 500 cals exercise)
    deficit = BMR + exercise - (calories food)
    1000 = 3000 + 500 - 2500

Hope this helped you to see that you can eat 2000 or 2500 cals per day and still lose weight at a very good rate :bigsmile:
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm not trying to go all anorexic, if I'm hungry of course I will eat more. And yes I am supervised by my doctor so I would think he knows what he is doing. I think instead of attacking and telling me how I'm going to die try helping me geeze lol I am new at this. This is why I'm asking just thought maybe some of you had experienced the same thing or had suggestions to help me not repeating the obvious that 500 calories is not enough.

I am sorry you feel like we are attacking you. :cry: anyone starting a weight loss- get healthier life style is frustrated, confused and unsure what to do. what you will find is this site is much more than just a place to track calories, it's our weight loss home, we have family here, friends who have struggled and succeeded. tried one direction then another. for those of us who have posted, (and I am sorry if your original question was not answered right away), it's just to those of us who have been here for awhile, we saw the low calorie number and in our mind it's as if you were standing on a bridge about to jump off- we all reached out to say STOP-

we want to help you loose weight and be healthy it's the common goal we have, ask- as you see you will get a lot of answers read them and adjust to what you feel will work it's ultimately your body your choice... if you way stalls out read others post on the message board you will gets tons of knowledge without putting your feelings out there.

and I think a nutritionist is a great idea, we really want to make sure your heart stays healthy at the same time the weight comes off.

:flowerforyou:
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the calculations i work out 7 days a week right now I burn around 500 just doing cardio. I just had my BMR checked at the gym today and it was 2017.

Since you state the BMR is 2017, and that you eat 1000 cals, and exercise 500:

Daily calorie deficit = 2017 - 1000 + 500 = 1517
    That is equivalent to 0.43 lbs of fat
    In a week, that means you would only be losing 3 lbs, not 5 pounds per week as you have been losing

Either your BMR is wrong and closer to 3000, or your weight loss of 5 pounds per week is not due to the diet.
  • cblackc
    cblackc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at this by no means and in fact I just joined this site 1 weeks ago. I am 28 years only approx 5'9 and weigh 259lbs very much the same as what you are. When you talk about not wanting the goal of loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week and rather lose more. The fact is your new at weight lose and chances are this is indeed water causing the fast drop. A few years ago when I started weight watchers I lost 11lbs. I also gained 11lbs in one week while pregnant with my daughter... Cause water!!! When I did weight watchers I quickly got discouraged and quit because I plateaued and gave up not to mention I was seriously under the table binging on the foods I was missing from my old diet. This time around even though it has been only 1 week I'm happy to say that I have not had too many cravings actually only 1 and have remained focused.(This is coming from a person who is a fast food junkie... I ate out everyday because it was quick and easy while i was busy at work. Causing me to gain approx. 20lbs in about 10months) In one week I have lost 5lbs I do believe some is water but I also noticed my clothes r slightly feeling more comfortable and not so tight. I was also under the impression that doing cardio only is not what is going to burn the fat there needs to be some kind of resistant training to get your muscles working and burning the calories. The lady at my gym told me that cardio only works one muscle... Your heart and there are several other muscles that need attention as well... I currently workout at Curves and I LOVE IT!!!!! it gives me the cardio and resistance i need and there is not a day that goes by that I don't feel I gave a good workout. In 30mins of circuit I'm on average burning 400 cal... I'm finding this way more successful for me already because I notice other than my previous experiences at the gym you do your cardio and then weight training by the time you hit your 4th machine your heart rate is already come down. At curves it's steady with your heart pumping fast causing your body to continuously work harder.

I was a little skeptical on writing on this thread considering people are getting quiet upset. I'm not an expert by no means but I know when my body is telling me it's happy... I'm averaging about 1200 to 1500 cals a day and I have noticed my metabolism increasing. I'm also watching my sodium and drinking lots of water.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    you are going to put your body into starvation mode. yes, the weight will come off fast, but once you start eating normally again all the weight will come back AND THEN SOME because your body will store everything as fat incase it gets starved again.

slow weight loss is permanent weight loss. patience is key and well worth the wait!!!!!
  • FitLink
    Options
    To respond to your post, I first did some numbers to estimate your daily burn rate before exercise (BMR):

Since you lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks, that means you lost around 0.71 lbs per day
    One pound of fat is 3500 calories, so you have been at a calorie deficit of 2500 calories per day ("-2500")

That calorie deficit tells me that your BMR is around 3000
    (Calorie deficit per day) = (Food calories ate in one day) - (Burned Calories in a day)
    = (Food calories ate in one day) - (BMR + Exercise)

So we have:
    BMR = (Food calories ate in one day) - (Exercise calories) - (Calorie deficit per day)

In your case:
    BMR = (1000) - (500) - (-2500) = 3000

That BMR is about right for a person your height and weight.

Now, why is calculating the BMR so important?
    Well, it answers your question on eating 2000 calories per day.

You can see now that 2000 cals is NOT a huge amount, since your normal burn rate, no exercise, is close to 3000 !!

The BMR is also useful to calculate a more moderate and healthy pace for weight loss:

A 2 lb/week is the most you should target.

With 2 lb/week, a calorie deficit per day would be:
    2 x 3500 divided by 7 = 1000 cals

If your BMR is 3000, that means you need to eat daily 2000 cals: (no exercise included)
    deficit = BMR - (calories food)
    1000 = 3000 - 2000

If you exercise, then you need to eat even more (2500 cals to eat if you do 500 cals exercise)
    deficit = BMR + exercise - (calories food)
    1000 = 3000 + 500 - 2500

Hope this helped you to see that you can eat 2000 or 2500 cals per day and still lose weight at a very good rate :bigsmile:

But your calculations have her losing about 9 pounds/month, rather than the 18 pounds/ month (4 pounds/week) she considers necessary. For that she needs to cut another 1000 calories/day...
  • healthycurves2012
    Options
    If you continue to eat less than 1200 calories per day, you will end up malnourished. It's as simple as that.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why not be more concerned about losing this in a relatively healthy way vs. trying to get it off as fast as possible? What's the hurry? Are you on some sort of time constraint? I don't get it. 500 calories a day is ridiculous and less than most children eat. You didn't get that overweight overnight, you shouldn't expect to take it off that quickly, and if you do expect that, enjoy gaining it all back.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Thanks for the calculations i work out 7 days a week right now I burn around 500 just doing cardio. I just had my BMR checked at the gym today and it was 2017.

Since you state the BMR is 2017, and that you eat 1000 cals, and exercise 500:

Daily calorie deficit = 2017 - 1000 + 500 = 1517
    That is equivalent to 0.43 lbs of fat
    In a week, that means you would only be losing 3 lbs, not 5 pounds per week as you have been losing

Either your BMR is wrong and closer to 3000, or your weight loss of 5 pounds per week is not due to the diet.

I did the same math as you did, though earlier in the thread, but came to the second conclusion (that part of the weight loss isn't diet, but water loss) rather than the first possibility (that her BMR is higher than she states), as you did. One way or the other, her numbers don't add up. But it's useless to try and convince her using facts, because that's "not nice." The only way to be supportive, it seems, is to just say "Just keep doing what you're doing."
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to make myself unpopular for saying this, but, in some cases, very low calorie diets are medically sanctioned. If you haven't already, you probably want to talk to your doctor about what you are doing to lose weight. Your doctor knows you, your body, and your medical history, and is far more qualified to provide advice than we are.

As a side note on math. While it is possible that some of the OP's weight loss is due to water loss, it is also possible that she is losing fat at the rate she states. The 3,500 calories to lose a pound is not a "rule" it is an estimate, and some new research suggests that there may be individual variation in the caloric deficit associated with a one pound fat loss.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I'm probably going to make myself unpopular for saying this, but, in some cases, very low calorie diets are medically sanctioned. If you haven't already, you probably want to talk to your doctor about what you are doing to lose weight. Your doctor knows you, your body, and your medical history, and is far more qualified to provide advice than we are.

Indeed they are. But in those cases questions like hers never come up in places like this, because people are given very specific diets to follow to ensure adequate nutrition.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i think what you are doing is not good....eating only 1000 calories a day and then burning 500 a day!?!? you most likely will gain every pound back that you have lost...1200 should be the minimum ANYONE eats

the faster you loose weight the easier it is to gain it back...you need to get on a better plan....a healthier one...it may be working now...but honestly i think its going to blow up in your face

you didn't gain all the weight overnight you cannot expect it to fall off over night either....you are doing more harm to your body than good....quit focusing on the weight loss and focus on be HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses I understand that it is a small amount of calories but right now it's working and I feel so much better than I did 3 weeks ago. I am at a point of being so heavy that the benefits out way the risks for me. Yes ultimately I want to loose weight while being healthy but I also can't only loose 4 pounds a month as opposed to a week. I have read articles that consuming 500 less than your BMR drops more pounds than the 500 calorie diet so my question remains would i Loose more weight eating the 2000 calories a day than my net of 500?

No

I disagree.
    Eventually, I would say yes, you would lose more weight eating the 2000 calories because at this level you're more likely to stick with it.
  • scarticia
    scarticia Posts: 16
    Options

May 2009

Nice way to go thanks for sharing I will keep all this in mind

2009May2.jpg

Feb 2012

2012-01-15120616.jpg