What do I do??

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do for exercise if I have an injured knee?? I injured it many years ago and it hadn't started bothering me until after I gained a lot of weight with the pregnancy of my son. I am now carrying a lot of extra weight and my knee hurts a lot and any kind of impact exercise (even walking long distances) just hurts too much and makes it worse. I am really hoping if I lose some of the weight with my diet only at first then it won't be so much to carry on my knee and I will be able to do more. I know it is wishful thinking, but I am willing to give it a try. What kind of exercise would be beneficial without hurting my knee and putting too much pressure on it?

Also anyone have room for a new ,mom trying to lose weight and gain health?? I don't really know anyone else on the same journey has me so I would love to meet new people and make new weight loss friends.

Thanks!!!!:happy:

Replies

• tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL a few years back and I understand, it was the worst, I could barely do anything, I had a hard time doing anything. I would suggest anything in the pool, even if you are just walking laps, doing balance ball stuff, shadow boxing. Mostly though I'm going to say try and get into the water, I know its hard to put pressure on it in any way. Keep up the good work and good luck!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    After 1 ACL replacement and 3 operations on my right knee and several spells on crutches because my left knee stops working I think I qualify for bad knees.

I have found the elliptical a great cardio machine at the gym and swimming is an amazing calorie burner plus it tones your arms and upper body.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly a new mom but I do have horrible knees. I had to have one of my knees rebuilt so I know where you are coming from. I just kept working through the pain and slowly I made progress. Strengthening the muscles surrounding your knees is a great first step. I have to stay away from too many lunges or squats and the bicycle absolutely kills me but I do treadmill and have just started running outside.

I would be glad to be a friend so we can bounce ideas for knee problems off each other if you would like
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    If its possible; do some water aerobics, and or swimming. They both relieve stress on knees.

Also get a good knee braces to use while working out, look thru your local library online catalog to find low impact workouts on dvd too.
    I feel your pain , my right knee has a mind of its own, lol. :glasses:
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have horrible knees (three knee surgeries by age 35). I suffer from the same thing... I put on weight and became very sedintary because it hurt to move. I had to work through some of the pain and build my leg muscles back up again. I do the elliptical for about 15 minutes and then a 30 minute stationary bike hill ride. I do this three times a week. I have lost 23 pounds since the middle of January. Start slow and keep at it. You can do it!!! If you want, send me a friend request and we can help each other along!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There are many videos on YouTube that can help you light yoga is a good start or find videos that are pt (physical Therapy) related. Modify work outs so it will not over tax your knee but before being or doing any type of exercise I would ask your doctor.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My knee acts up every now & again. I find that sneaker with good support helps them & some days I even wear a knee brace.

Start slow. Walking, low impact aerobics or water aerobics. Remember it's not a race ~ so take your time. Find something you enjoy. In time the weight will come off & I'm sure your knee will feel better. Good luck :smile:

Feel free to add me for support as a fellow new mom (my son is one years old) and I am on a mission to get my pre baby body back.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Upper body resistance training as well as core training will give you adequate exercise. I have a torn bicep and can only do lower body stuff now.
  • shellsy0424
    shellsy0424 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that gives me a lot of good ideas. I guess the even harder part about doing stuff in the water is I would have to wear a bathing suit........yuck;) Whatever I have to do to one day look good in one is worth it though.