Who has successfully stopped biting their nails?

Options

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Honestly, thinking about how absolutely disgusting your hands look to women might make you stop. I am SOOO turned off by any man whose hands are all mangled. And I can only imagine how gross it is for men if they see mangled women hands.
    That's a very good point. One of the things that really helps inspire not to bite my nails is to imagine my hands, er, intimately caressing some intimate part of a lover's body. A rather pleasant thought if my nails are in decent shape, but cringe-worthy if they are a gawdawful ragged mess.

And while I can't speak for all women, when I feel attracted to a man one part of that is imagining his hands giving me a reciprocally intimate caress. That makes the desirabilty of his hands figure very strongly into his overall desirabilty.
  • Mkristinek
    Options
    OMG. I stopped my senior year of high school, just with a lot of will power and self control, and was VERY proud of myself (since I had been a biter since I could chew). HOWEVER, 3 months ago I started again!! I went almost 5 years not biting and now I can't get myself to stop! I know it is stress from my internship, so HOPEFULLY I can kick the habit in four weeks when I graduate university! It drives me nuts!

Oh, and thinking back (why I'm just now remembering beats me) clipping my nails once a week helped cope with the habit. It was like, a neater and healthier way to pick/bite at my nails. It was so satisfying every time I got the clippers out. Now if only I could stop chewing long enough for my nails to grow long enough to clip! Good luck!
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Since my last post in the thread I have stopped biting. I tried acrylic nails and now I go get shillac done every no and then. It seems to be working.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I put nail polish on them. For some reason I don't bite them when they're painted.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was a bad nail biter my whole life! Then I became a nurse and working at the hospital really made me think twice about putting my fingers near my mouth. I've been a nurse for 4 years now and I still don't bite my nails. I'm cured!
  • chelseyjoan
    chelseyjoan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    that's what gel nails are for!!
    got them in gr8 and haven't had read nails since, they're so pretty!
    oh and i'm in 4th year university now!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Weird.
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The thing that made me stop is my first manicure. I didn't get fake nails, but having my hands pampered like that I think made me want to keep them nice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I stopped biting them, but now I consistently cut them short and file them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Candicimo
    Candicimo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I stopped biting my nails my sophomore year of high school. I had bitten them from elementary school up to high school, but I stopped because of a bet! One of my good friends was biting his nails as well and we made a bet saying that the other wouldn't be able to stop biting them. I haven't bitten them since and that was 8 years ago : ]
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I found a product for my daughter and niece call "Stop the Bite" made by Hoof.Bought it at walmart for $3.00. It works.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I did, but that's because I got crowns on my front two teeth and they aren't sharp enough.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum has made me stop. I tend to bite them when I'm bored or thinking so as soon as I notice I'm biting them I pop in some gum. Haven't had to in about 2 weeks now though.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have..I switched over to Taco Shells. Nice and crunchy...so delicious and nutritious.
  • danam82
    danam82 Posts: 30
    Options
    I went through two phases of nail biting when I was growing up. Both times, I just...quit. I don't know how, or why. I guess I decided I was done biting them lol. I remember the second time I went through it, trying to stop. I used that nasty nail polish, but it didn't work. I got used to the taste and would bite anyway. My parents offered me money at the end of each week for each nail I hadn't chewed off. You would think that would work...no it didn't. I don't remember what motivated me, I just remembered that I stopped.
    I still pick at my nails once in a while if I'm nervous, like at an interview. But now I've replaced the nail biting with teeth grinding, which is bad. It's funny how stress/nervousness always finds a way to channel itself.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I used to chronically bite them. Then I just stopped, cold turkey, and grew them. Now I go through cycles - I bite them sometimes, and sometimes I don't. I can't seem to stop biting the skin though. I am so ashamed of my hands and nails :(
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I stopped after my partner told me off for it.
    My sister told me at that time, if I didn't bite them for 1 week she would paint them.
    She did and I haven't bitten them since, I paint them weekly now and own a ridiculous amount of varnishes haha.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I stopped when I started painting them all the time. I love nail polish so I don't like to ruin my manicure
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    i stopped when i was quite young maybe under 14yoa. Death threats from my mother i believe lol. Can't recall how or why i stopped but i know i was coerced
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    I'm trying now to stop biting my nails. It's a hard habit to stop. I try to file down the rough edges & also have tried a clear polish called Stop Bite or something like that. Good luck.