YOUR MOTHER IN LAW>>? PLEASE ENLIGHTen ME,,

Options

Replies

• Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    For the most part I get along great with my in-laws. MIL is generally nice and kind-hearted but, like most MIL's has a couple of habits that drive me bat-**** crazy.

Primarily is that she is the enabler in my in-law's house. My father-in-law is obese and is Type II diabetic and seems to have little to no impulse control. Yet the MIL has to have sweets (cookies, cake, cupcakes, you name it) in the house. And on top of that she's always buying sweets "to bring over" because there's not many in my wife and my house (there's a reason for that) and pushing sweets and food on my kids.
    Example - last weekend we went to see them. My wife's aunts and uncles were going to come over to see the kids before they leave to go back up north (they're snowbirds) so we decided to get together at the in-law's place for lunch since it was sort-of in the middle. We show up just before 11:00, family is supposed to get there between 11:00 and 11:30, we'll cook out as soon as they get there.

MIL - I bought some cookies, do the kids need a snack?
    Me - No. No snacks right now, we're going to be eating lunch soon.
    MIL - How about some fruit instead? I have bananas and strawberries and watermelon.
    Me - No, we're going to be eating lunch in about a half hour, I'd like them to actually eat it when we do.
    MIL - Well, are you sure they're not hungry?
    Me - (inside voice is saying many bad words) I think they'll be fine.

This was followed by, as soon as they finished eating lunch,

MIL - to our 4 year old - Do you want a cupcake for dessert?
    Me - (relenting, she ate all her lunch, and I'm OK with her having sweets, but she's notorious for just eating the frosting and I hate wasting food...) Katherine, if you want a cupcake now, you don't get any treats later. And you had better not just eat the frosting and waste the rest of the cupcake.
    K - OK, Daddy, I won't waste it. (Katherine proceeds to just eat the frosting and throws the cupcake away ("I don't like it, Daddy.") :mad:)

Jump ahead a few hours to dinner. We eat, everything's good.

MIL - Katherine, there's one cupcake left, do you want it?
    Me - Remember how I told her that if she had one earlier she didn't get one now?
    MIL - Well, I thought maybe she'd want one...
    Me - Remember how I told her that if she had one earlier she didn't get one now? And how she wasted the last one you gave her? No cupcakes or any other dessert you may have stashed away in the house, she's had enough sweets today.
    MIL - Well, I thought she might just want something sweet...
    Me - **SCOWL** (which ended it, by the way)

There is one other thing she does that drives me nuts. If we invite them over for holiday dinners we normally share the meal (we'll make certain parts, they'll make others), which I'm OK with. But what drives me insane, and some may not think this is a big deal but it makes me batty, is that she'll bring pots and pans and whatever utensils she thinks she needs to make whatever she's making because "I didn't think you had any." WTF!? I know I shouldn't let this one bother me, but it's pretty insulting (at least to me) when you don't think that your mid-30's daughter and her husband don't have anything beyond a dorm-room kitchen. I can understand her bringing some specific, exotic tool that you'd need to make something, but pots and pans? Baking sheets? Because you didn't think we had any? Really?

</rant>

It's really not funny, but it made me giggle.

My mother-in-law does similar things. And when we get together for a meal, usually on a holiday, I'll ask what I need to bring. She says "nothing, I'm taking care of everything" So I will still bring buns or something like that.
    Every single time I ask, she says don't bring anything.
    So when we were there at Christmas, she gives me a recipe book. And says "you can use some recipes and bring something to the next meal"
    WTF??? I know how to cook, you just won't let me bring anything!!!
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    She is the devil...doesn't talk to me nor my Wife, and was trying to play favorites with the grandkids.

This!!! Unfortunately I don't have the pleasure of not talking to her etc as she lives across the street from me because she's helping her recently divorced daughter and her 3 year old son. She favors the boy over my baby girl. Even told me while I was pregnant she was not happy I was having a girl.

Also she just recently told us she can no longer watch our daughter due to watching her grandson. After she made us pull her out of day care and we got better jobs but the hours are not normal hours. We work night shift day shift etc. Daycare is impossible. I have no clue what we are gonna do now. Also she is a pathological liar and twists everything out of proportion. If you have a headache she's got cancer and is dying. She told the family she had colon cancer, brain cancer, breast Cancer, and stomach cancer. And she had just a few more months to live. Oh nY the way she has none of these.

While me and her some was separated for 7 months she never once saw her granddaughter, called, visited nothing. She said she considers me her daughter but she's full if it. She made a story up and told my husband I was cheating which by the way I wasn't. Told my boss I was stealing when I wasn't and that was proved to be a lie. She's a ****ing nut case.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I love my MIL. Her oldest son got married first and she decided to hate his wife (who is a wonderful person) and I guess that meant I was in the free and clear :) We get along although I don't see her very often, we're in DC and she's in Boston.
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mine is great. She doesn't flinch when she comes over and my house is messy, she doesn't tell me how to be a parent. She is a bit standoffish, but oh well :)
  • SandiBren
    SandiBren Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost my MIL in 2003 and miss her every day. She was the mother I SHOULD have had! She treated me like the daughter she wished she'd had and she was a wonderful grandmother to our children. When I had my babies she always came and stayed to help....I would NOT have wanted my mother around then. I try to be a good MIL to my children's spouses.
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    mine is in one word.. CRAZY! she has a personality for every day of the month! of course NONE of them like me, no matter what i do or say. i once caught her trying to teach MY daughter to call HER mama, i also once caught her holding my daughter to her breast (thankfully with her shirt on) whispering to her "if i had breast milk still i would feed you and be your mommy"

HOLY CRAP! That is freaking crazy!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My MIL kicks all your MIL's *kitten*. She speaks almost no English and never shows up at my house without beer and candy. So yeah, she rocks. Hard.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    mine is in one word.. CRAZY! she has a personality for every day of the month! of course NONE of them like me, no matter what i do or say. i once caught her trying to teach MY daughter to call HER mama, i also once caught her holding my daughter to her breast (thankfully with her shirt on) whispering to her "if i had breast milk still i would feed you and be your mommy"

That is some special kind of crazy and I hope you don't have anything to do with her anymore.. I wouldn't want that woman around my children....

that said, mine is ok, but annoying. There is some veteran thing for my fil and she made us extra special matching t-shirts!!! yeh me... she even asked if I wanted his picture on the front or the back... I kindly pointed out that a picture of my fil on my boobs was probably inappropraite...... I am scared.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I remembered another one...

My MIL does not have any family photos with me in them posted on FB... But she has one with my BIL's EX-GF in them.,,, Wouldn't be as big of a deal if it wasn't a photo that I was cut out of! Hubby fixed it. This year at Christmas photo time he pushed me into the middle of the photo. Try cutting me out now, MIL! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My ex- MIL was one of those salt of the earth, light of the world types. I mean this woman was a SAINT. I actually still think of her often, and generally in a far better light than I do my ex.....

This is me too. My ex-MIL was the reason I stayed with my ex as long as I did. She passed away in July 2007 and I left the dead beat in September of that same year.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Okay, I guess. She means well, but comes across irritating to me... But I can tolerate her in small doses. :tongue:
  • yherrman
    yherrman Posts: 19
    Options
    My MIL and I have a great relationship. She helped us out when the kids were little. She got sick a few years ago and gave up driving, so we built a MIL suite onto our house, and she moved in. Now the kids keep an eye on her! lol. But she is really not that bad off now, but sometimes she acts like she can't do anything for herself. But all in all she is fine. It's funny cause she didn't like me at all when her son and I got together, now she calls me an angel and thinks she couldn't get by without me.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    Well, she lives in another state (hurray!) and she is ok. Our relationship is better. She is a pushy and bossy person and I have a hard time dealing with that. She calls my husband alot to talk about things that he shouldn't be listening to, and she will ask him to come out to Indiana from Illinois when she has another son that lives less than 20 minutes from her. I *like* her when she isn't being bossy, which is frequently, but I do try to overlook that. However, she really put her damn 2 cents in for our wedding and when she wants something, she wants it. She definitely wouldn't have been my first pick for in-law material
  • astrasburger
    astrasburger Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I worked with my MIL before i dated my husband...different departments but same floor and 5 feet from each other which made us have a very different relationship from the start almost a disadvantage. I adore my inlaws...they are just different from my parents. I think after we had kids it made my relationship a little different because i expected them to be grandparents like my parents are (hands on, want every second they can get with the kiddos), but they aren't...so i'm SLOWLY coming to terms with that. My MIL smokes and so i dislike that about smoking (outside) in front of kids. But she's 66 years old so i'm not going to change her and make sure the kids avoid it. My son is the baby of the family and spoiled rotten by his mother...but they raised a good man and the man i fell in love with.

They would help us out monetarily any way they could, but would never offer to watch our kids or help out (unless we ask) even though they are both retired and live less than a mile a way. I figure my kids will get the best of both worlds of spoiling (gifts vs time) and my husband and i never have to worry competition on who we ask to watch our kids on the weekend or anytime:) and my family and my inlaws all get along great as well!

My mother-in-law is very thoughtful with gifts for me and has told me several times
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law always said ( and my late husband knew it) that she always liked me better than her own son!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My ex- MIL was one of those salt of the earth, light of the world types. I mean this woman was a SAINT. I actually still think of her often, and generally in a far better light than I do my ex.....

This is me too. My ex-MIL was the reason I stayed with my ex as long as I did. She passed away in July 2007 and I left the dead beat in September of that same year.

You have to wonder when they have such awesome moms how the exes turn out so ****ty.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    She isnt my mother in law..but shes the grandmother to my child & father to my ex boyfriend, so unfortunately im still stuck with her. Its really hit or miss. Sometimes i will go over and we will have great conversations but then other times i want to scratch her eyes out when she speaks.

We had a lot of problems when my daughter was first born because his mom is an alcoholic/drug user. & i made it very clear that she wasnt to watch my daughter alone & she didnt like that very much at all. the first easter that my daughter was born i went to spend it with their family. His mother apparently took pills that i didnt know about.. & while she was holding my daughter started to zone out & fall asleep & almost drop her. i had to catch my daughter. After that we havent been on the best of terms but we're both trying since we're stuck with eachother.

Shes doing better with the drugs & im slowly starting to trust her. Very....veryy slowly.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    HATED my ex MIL. Evil woman who played favorites with her sons and their kids. She is partly to blame for the divorce since my ex would NEVER confront her about her horrid behavior. She was so glad to be rid of me (and vice versa). My new MIL I absolutely adore!! She is only 12 years older than I am and we are more like friends than anything. She is a wonderful woman.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Mine is awesome! could not ask for a better one.

And, she raised one great son, and he totally respects his mom and all women!

I just hope that I can be a good mother-in-law, I tend to be a bit biased with my 3 sons :laugh:
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    depends, sometimes she is great other times she could make satan run out of the house.