Eating after 8 pm. Yes or No ?

Options
lppacker
lppacker Posts: 20 Member
I have heard eating after 8 pm is not good for you. Some days are tough with working late, then returning home only to have a millon things to do, and somedays the cooking gets pushed off until 8 or later. Any advice? I try to grab something before heading out for my walking and feeding all the livestock.

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Most guidelines against it are because most people tend to binge at night or snack more at night. If your busy or working until late then eat after. It doesn't matter when you get those calories in.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I eat at all times of day or night. Your body doesn't care when you eat, it only cares that you do. An orange is an orange at 9am and 9pm, they don't turn into steaks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Most guidelines against it are because most people tend to binge at night or snack more at night. If your busy or working until late then eat after. It doesn't matter when you get those calories in.

^ This, eating past an arbitrary cutoff time will not negatively effect weight loss
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Food is more delicious late at night. Or maybe I just think it is. LOL. I have late night snacks basically every night - you can check my ticker down below to see how it has affected my weightloss.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's 10:30 and I just ate a banana. I am confident that I will be just fine.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    To re-iterate, as long as you're eating below your daily caloric intake (or BMR), you will lose weight. So, after 8p...doesn't matter.

:o]
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I notice better results when I get my calories in prior to 730 pm probably because by 745 pm I am a lump on the couch and not trying to use what little get up and go I have left.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    no, but yes...lol
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I normally eat dinner between 7:30 & 8:00, I usually work until 6:00 or 7:00. A heavy meal could interfere with sleep but other than that it should be OK. Your body repairs itself at night and it's good to have a little fuel in the tank... that's my theory anyway.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i eat late often. i also don't usually go to bed til at least 1am -- i would go to bed hungry if i didn't eat past 8pm! (for me personally, if i go to bed hungry, stomach pains wake me up).
  • jenbison
    jenbison Posts: 38
    Options
    If you are up late and moving around being busy, eating at 8:00 shouldn't be a problem, I don't think. It's a problem for those that eat at 8:00 at night, then sit on the couch for an hour, then go to bed.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat at least every 3 hours up until about 1 hour before I go to bed. Sometimes I don't eat dinner until 8 or 9pm & will have a snack (usually a casein shake &/or protein bar) after that. What I DON'T do, is eat fruit after 5pm & little to no carbs with dinner unless they come from vegetables. Do what works for you. :)
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    they say you shouldn't eat 3 hours before bed... i am awake late and stay up late so its fine to eat after 8 but i try not to eat 3 hours before i go to bed.
  • lewdug
    lewdug Posts: 17
    Options
    In my experience, it really doesn't matter, as long as you track the calories. Sure, you don't really get a chance to burn the calories off like those earlier in the day, but if you've already exercised, should that matter? I work late, until 10:30, 4 nights a week, so eating early isn't really an option for me most of the time. Body's just too used to eating late. Just try not to eat big dinners late.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hello my chum! I follow the 12 hour rule which is successful for me. Due to shift work my "8pm" could be 8 am! So, I count 12 hours after I get up and don't eat MOST days after the 12th hour. If I feel really hungry I slap the water to me or some raw spinach. Something light.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Time doesn't matter at all. It's actually a really popular myth that eating later contributes to weight gain, but if it's within your calorie goals, you could eat those cals at midnight, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

Some people prefer to eat later, because it just gels with their body timing better. My boyfriend, for instance, always eats after the sun goes down, which is way too late for me. But it works, and it doesn't make any difference to him. I just don't like eating that late, because I hate going to bed feeling too full. :)
  • lppacker
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I am new and could use all the help I can get. Please feel free to add me. I could us some more friends for motivation and tips.
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem as long as you don't take in a bunch of carbs. Eat something protein packed that will satisfy the hunger and it will also fuel your body through the nightly fast.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem as long as you don't take in a bunch of carbs. Eat something protein packed that will satisfy the hunger and it will also fuel your body through the nightly fast.

It also won't matter if it's carbs, again assuming that your total daily intake is appropriate.
  • lppacker
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I am new and could use all the help I can get. Please feel free to add me. I could us some more friends for motivation and tips.