what is wrong with me???

Options
Why is it that even though I know just about everything there is to know about eating healthy and losing weight... I just can't seem to do it?? I do great for a few days and then it all goes out the window. I am so frustrated and upset with myself and still can't seem to get it together. Does anyone else have a hard time or is it just me???

Replies

• debb1980
    debb1980 Posts: 17
    Options
    I can commiserate. I can't see to commit and the constant feeling of failure is making my poor eating even worse.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why can't you do it?
  • fearie_jae
    fearie_jae Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nothing is WRONG with you! I know for years I tried to lose weight and couldnt do it and kept falling off the wagon.. but this time its just like a lightbulb went off in my head as to what i need to do. Some days are easier than others but I remember WHY i'm doing this and it helps me stay on track. If you want to add me, youre more than welcome to. :) Maybe motivating each other will help too!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Make small changes you can live with. Small changes are better then nothing. You need to do what works for you.
    Keep logging no matter what. Good luck.
  • dexxie
    dexxie Posts: 1
    Options
    I know that watching what you eat can be very hard. Until last year I was in the exact same situation as you and just couldn't imagine ever being able to keep it together long enough. I don't know if I can help you to be honest. What happened in the end is that I met my current boyfriend who gives me tremendous support to this day to mind my eating and we go to the gym together twice a week. Without him I know I wouldn't be where I am now weight-wise. I did a very intensive diet for 2 months where I just kept at it, really mentalizing myself that I just HAD to get through these 8 weeks. Once I did, I had lost 8 kg. Seeing such a huge result in such a short time is really what has kept me going. Now I really don't find it difficult to stay healthy and eat smaller portions. When I really crave something I either make it for my boyfriend and make myself a healthy alternative or just have a bite of it for taste. I think you just really have to have a mental 'click'. For me it took someone supporting me in my goals 24/7 (even if it meant I got cranky sometimes, he understood) and to be able to see the immediate effects of an actual diet. At the moment I have lost 15 Kg since I started :) Hopefully I will be at a healthy 79 Kg somewhere in the summer.

I don't know if this will help you at all but just know that it IS possible and you are not alone in your situation!

Good luck and keep your chin up :)
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When doing MFP I spend my energy looking for the foods I like that fit into the plan. I don't waist time on food I don't enjoy. I don't know if this helps but it seems to be working for me. I hope this helps.
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times people try to drop their calories too low or start up enormous exercise routines they can't keep up with. Start small, take baby steps, enjoy the journey- eventually you'll get there!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Don't draw the distinction between 'on diet' and 'off diet'. Work towards making every day a little healthier instead of trying to do the perfect diet and then not being able to stick to it. If you had a bad day and only maintained, that's one day that you aren't gaining more weight. If you had a bad day and only hit -250, that's still half a pound per week loss!
  • sindymartinez24
    Options
    I was the same, I just started this program and i like it, I have a friend that encourage me to keep doing it, that's what you need, some one to be pushing you all the way, just like my friend does, If you want to add me you are more than welcome to do it. like this you'll have more friends with the same situation by your side....Don't give up...
  • almostfortysix
    Options
    I totally understand. I had to have my husband remove bad foods from the house today and the SCALE. I do okay for a few days than I blow it. My husband is doing this with me and he gets more calories than I do so I struggle with dinner because I want what he's having but in order for me to lose weight I shouldn't have it. Then I feel deprived and bitter. OVER FOOD!!!! How crazy is that.
    I think it's in my mind.
    Keep on logging everyday and if you don't do well one day so what just keep on keeping on.
  • kristymccarrick
    Options
    nothing is wrong with you its super hard i want to lose weight so bad i eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks i work out at the gym every single day for 1 hr and walk when i can i eat no breads no pastas drink loads of water keep track of carbs, sugars, fats, calories on this site and jsut dont eat anything after 6pm i started on the 9th of this month(march) lost 13 pounds so far i really think exerscise the the key u can do it dotn give up i lost 13 pounds and u cant tell at all it takes alot of pounds to show i get frusterated all the time im so scared this wont work i got 74 pounds to go to my goal keep it up u can do it!!!!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    because you are weak. Maybe because you have no support system. You have no drive to go workout to inmprove yourself. You don;t think you are worth the effort or time to improve yourself. You have a poor self image.

These are all EXCUSES!!!

Get off your *kitten* and get to the gym. Cut out sugar and processed foods.
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    I think a lot of times people try to drop their calories too low or start up enormous exercise routines they can't keep up with. Start small, take baby steps, enjoy the journey- eventually you'll get there!
    What she said - If you're having that much trouble sticking to it, perhaps you set your goals too high for the level of effort you're able to put in at this point. Even a half pound a week is better than nothing if you can do it consistently.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    because you are weak. Maybe because you have no support system. You have no drive to go workout to inmprove yourself. You don;t think you are worth the effort or time to improve yourself. You have a poor self image.

These are all EXCUSES!!!

Get off your *kitten* and get to the gym. Cut out sugar and processed foods.

exactly what i was going to say
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    I totally understand. I had to have my husband remove bad foods from the house today and the SCALE. I do okay for a few days than I blow it. My husband is doing this with me and he gets more calories than I do so I struggle with dinner because I want what he's having but in order for me to lose weight I shouldn't have it. Then I feel deprived and bitter. OVER FOOD!!!! How crazy is that.
    I think it's in my mind.
    Keep on logging everyday and if you don't do well one day so what just keep on keeping on.

I guess it's important to define "blow it" if you still manage to land UNDER your maintenance level, you're still moving in the right direction.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It is all about motivation and what you truly want, not what you think you want because the logical side of you says it is what is best but what you want deep down.

For a lot of people, myself included, it takes thought and motivation not to eat to excess. I think that a lot of people who stay at a healthy weight without putting effort in make decisions about moderating their food intake without having to put much thought into it. For example after a big meal they will choose healthier options by default for the next day or two. For those who struggle with their weight they have to put in a conscious effort into making such decisions.

To this extent there is sometimes a massive gap between knowing what is good for you and doing it. Without the deep down drive to be healthier a long lasting change will not happen. To finish on a positive with that deep down drive and control you can change to a healthy lifestyle.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet that you have to suffer for, for a year or more, it is a LIFESTYLE change. I was doubting myself too, I always relied on restricting myself because I never thought that I could eat healthily and get my *kitten* off the bloody sofa. But I'm doing it, 13lbs down but I've still got more to go.

Maybe you're doing too much too soon, or thinking you're not losing enough. I used to expect 3-5lbs loss a week, but now I am so happy to lose 1lb a week.

Don't give up.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nothing is WRONG with you! I know for years I tried to lose weight and couldnt do it and kept falling off the wagon.. but this time its just like a lightbulb went off in my head as to what i need to do. Some days are easier than others but I remember WHY i'm doing this and it helps me stay on track. If you want to add me, youre more than welcome to. :) Maybe motivating each other will help too!

^^^ This! I was the same way, was tired of being fat and unhealthy so many times ago but never really had it in me to do it! And one day, yes like a light bulb. It is an amazingly different feeling and when I feel the most discouraged, wow, I lots another couple of pounds but I am so tired. It is hard work! Do kid yourself, it will be the hardest thing you have ever done and the most rewarding too.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It was really hard for me in the beginning too. Some things that helped me:
    1) i had to schedule my workouts on my calendar or I just wouldn't do it.
    2) the best kind of exercise is the one you will do. I just don't do gyms. I hate it so I won't stick with it. Find something you like doing.
    3) I eat about 1600 cal a day. I would die on 1200 calories. I am losing weight slower but at least I can EAT.

You can do it. It's hard, but it is what it is.
  • singitella
    Options
    It can help to change one thing until it becomes a habit. What is one thing that would move you in the right direction? Drinking a glass of water before meals? Parking further away at the store? Working out first thing in the morning to get it over with?

Another thing that may help is the "Before I ____, I have to _____ first". For instance, before I take a shower, I have to do 2 minutes of jumping jacks. Or, before I eat, I have to drink a full glass of water. Before I have a snack or dessert, I have to put one serving on my plate, then put the rest away and walk into a different room.

You get the idea. You can do it, but all at once usually doesn't work for most people. Remember to aim for progress, not perfection. Good luck!